I had to scrub...

cnoe

I had to scrub this morning's flight across New Mexico into southern Colorado.

Winds are across the ridges at ~50 knots and up to 70 knots at my flight level (12,000 msl). Airmets are in effect for low-level wind-shear.

Oh well, I HATE flying my Mooney long distances at "maneuvering speed" anyway.

Would any of you made this flight?

I personally would not do it especially in something non turbo. I actually bent a Seneca 2 up in the turbulence over the Cascade behind Mt. Rainier one night . very scary ride!

Winds were 135kt.

50 knots Over The Ridges can easily overwhelm the performance of any light aircraft.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

Not in a NA Mooney, but probably would have launched in the 252. We'd have been well clear of the rocks at FL240. But then probably not with the wife and the dog. 

moderate at 180 and 240 across CO and I'd imagine moderate or better wave. Severe at 170 in NW CO.

https://www.aviationweather.gov/airep/plot?region=US&type=turb&date=

Thanks for chiming in guys. The forecast was looking good until yesterday when the jet stream dipped a little further south than expected. I appreciate your replies.

34 minutes ago, peevee said:

I wouldn't, not even in a turbo.

at 12k feet you were looking for an absolute ass beating.

As altitude increased the headwinds were getting ridiculous so I just ruled out 14,000-16,000 even though I have oxygen.

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The peak wind gust would only be 18kts of crosswind which is easy in the Mooney.

I was hoping to make it into Pagosa but that's looking like low-IFR so the diversion was to Durango. The landing didn't concern me but those winds just didn't look good.

I'm afraid even in the 252 you'd have been looking at headwinds of close to 100 knots along that stretch east of ABQ. I hear it sucks when the 18-wheelers on the ground are passing you.:)

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

I actually bent a Seneca 2 up in the turbulence over the Cascade behind Mt. Rainier one night . very scary ride!

I'd love to hear that story sometime.

• Like 2

For me, I would not go..... Too much risk.  But I also think the trip is do-able, but barely so.   The winds by them self are marginal.   But, lets say you wanted to go to Durango.  A path from Houston, to ABQ, to KDRO, looks like it would avoid most of the issues with mountains.  i.e. in the mountains with big down drafts.   --you would still get mountain wave effects and lots of turbulence.  But you also have a forecast for trace to light icing over parts of southern CO, at 11,000.  And Durango is reporting a ceiling of 1800.   --This means your likely IFR in potentially icing conditions, or VFR close to the ground with strong winds.   In any case, it would not be a fun trip.      

Capture.JPG.0d38dd601e84695924bdaedfa7f26ad8.JPGCapture2.JPG.395a9d3fdefde6b3bc3bb53961349cee.JPG

I once got to ride out a thunderstorm as part of a squall line in the back of a Dash 8.  They essentially told the pax big storm coming - don't get out- don't deplane to go back to the terminal - it's safer in here.  The peak winds hit 90kt.  The pilots "flew" the control surfaces though the gusts as the storm passed.  We taxied out past a row of GA planes not tied down and saw every untied high wing was on its back.  Sad day.  It also makes me leery when Joe Schmo FBO has no intention of either tying you down or letting you go to the place where tiedowns exist.  

8 hours ago, cnoe said:

I had to scrub this morning's flight across New Mexico into southern Colorado.

Winds are across the ridges at ~50 knots and up to 70 knots at my flight level (12,000 msl). Airmets are in effect for low-level wind-shear.

Oh well, I HATE flying my Mooney long distances at "maneuvering speed" anyway.

Would any of you made this flight?

No.  

I left my mooney in Twin Falls, ID on Monday for most of the same reasons.  (Severe winds just as you describe, clouds from 1000-FL250, mod icing, SLD threat).

you made a wise choice.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The peak wind gust would only be 18kts of crosswind which is easy in the Mooney. 

When I landed at TWF, The winds were quartering cross at 25kts, but gusting to 40 knots. The rudder pedal was all the way to the floorboard and 10+ degrees aob just to hold centerline.  I'd rather not do that again.  On the plus side- my roll out was only about 500'!

3 hours ago, Htwjr said:

Always better to be on the ground wishing you were flying than to be flying wishing you were on the ground.

You said it- man.

its one thing to make those flights in a twin engine turbine, when you're being paid to go.  It's another thing entirely when the flight is for "pleasure"!