Hello??? Is this forum working??

eman1200

Maybe you're looking for a unicorn that doesn't exist.  There have been several Mooney's bought and sold in the time you've been looking.  I sold one and bought one myself. And there are several active threads of scheduled deliveries, transition training going on, etc.

I will give you that a few of the stories have been of disaster with horrible annuals following less then effective pre-buy's.  So you're right to be discriminating. But the good one's won't sit and will command a premium price.

• Like 1

Plus one. There are plenty of good Mooneys available and at absolute bargain basement prices compared to just a few years ago. Get up off of your wallet if you really want to own one of them.

He's partially right in that I'm looking for a sold plane at a good price, but I disagree that RECENTLY there has been anything good in the J and under range posted here.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I saw data on this once and your hunch is absolutely correct.  The average term of Mooney ownership was reported at something like seven years whereas the general aviation fleet as a whole was somewhere around half that.  Rough numbers from memory but the point is valid. I think that it is because stepping up from a Mooney is pretty expensive.

Good point.  I'm pushing 150 knots now.  Stepping up from the cherokee 180 to my C model really didn't cost much at all, and I gained 35 knots easy.  When you start looking at planes that do 170-180 knots, it gets expensive pretty fast.

• Like 1

Just now, rbridges said:

.... When you start looking at planes that do 170-180 knots, it gets expensive pretty fast.

Then you look towards 250 knots and those planes are high six figures (used).  Around 300 knots seems to be the 7 figure threshold.   The old aviation saying is "How fast can you afford to go?"   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eman1200 said:

He's partially right in that I'm looking for a sold plane at a good price, but I disagree that RECENTLY there has been anything good in the J and under range posted here.

Based on your posts you have been looking for over 2 years. There have been good Mooneys posted here and on the standard sites like Controller and Trade-a-Plane over that time period. 

It seems like you may have unrealistic expectations for a 50 year old plane in your budget. The really nice ones will be higher in the price range. The average ones will not be perfect.

• Like 1

What percentage of Mooney owners do you think are on our forum?  Anecdotally, I'd say less than we'd think despite all the great posts / info / discussion.  Age may have something to do with it.  Most older Mooney owners (with notable exception Bennett), aren't on the internet forums that much, and I'd wager that most Mooney owners are of the older cohort.

I found my bird on 3 line classified ad on the back of a MAPA log.  Eventually it showed up on TAP. 

• Like 2

I know a decent M20F that is for sale near El Paso.  Priced a little high, but everything so far has come back extremely clean.  I may have to pass on it, but I haven't killed the deal yet.

I think the owner pulled the ad, so here is some quick specs.  Located in Alamogordo, NM

Listed at $49,900

1968 M20F   3510N

TT 3800

SMOH 1000

KX-155's

Gami's

WX9--

Brittan 2 Axis

IFR cert still valid

Contact Russ Burkhard 210-383-8342

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

That one looks good. It's All American, bet they have more, too. Get thee West, young (e)man!!

so I really like that plane lol.  for the record, the point of my post was the lack of RECENT planes for sale HERE ON MS.  just an observation, that's all.  I HAVE been looking for 2 years and I'll continue to look until I find the right plane.  I'm not on anyone else's schedule.  also, things have changed recently with me finding one potential partner.  the last plane that I was seriously interested in was on here and sold quickly by 22 others.  I wanted to get over to "the middle of nowhere" to take a look at it but it just didn't work out logistically.

ANYWAYS, I'm gonna take a closer look at this bird that ina201 posted.

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

so I really like that plane lol.  for the record, the point of my post was the lack of RECENT planes for sale HERE ON MS.  just an observation, that's all.  I HAVE been looking for 2 years and I'll continue to look until I find the right plane.  I'm not on anyone else's schedule.  also, things have changed recently with me finding one potential partner.  the last plane that I was seriously interested in was on here and sold quickly by 22 others.  I wanted to get over to "the middle of nowhere" to take a look at it but it just didn't work out logistically.

ANYWAYS, I'm gonna take a closer look at this bird that ina201 posted.

What is your budget and mission?  Most folks who are serious about buying a plane can define those two things pretty concisely.

so I really like that plane lol.  for the record, the point of my post was the lack of RECENT planes for sale HERE ON MS.  just an observation, that's all.  I HAVE been looking for 2 years and I'll continue to look until I find the right plane.  I'm not on anyone else's schedule.  also, things have changed recently with me finding one potential partner.  the last plane that I was seriously interested in was on here and sold quickly by 22 others.  I wanted to get over to "the middle of nowhere" to take a look at it but it just didn't work out logistically. ANYWAYS, I'm gonna take a closer look at this bird that ina201 posted.

I'll fix your problem. You can buy my F for $150,000.  You would look great with the warm glow of the non-Swiss watch glow of a glass panel.  

40aac089604eea728c91d249a49b5025.jpg

e660d53875c83ab5dfbab333acce8bdd.jpg

• Like 2

Budget:  solo ownership would be mid 40's max no exceptions.  with the latest potential partner I found, we talked about looking at the $60kish range, somewhat flexible.  '22 others' M20C would have been perfect for sole ownership, g430 and basic AP.  with two of us it opens up options and I really like splitting fixed costs.

Mission:  I like going fast.  I want to travel more, FLA and NJ.  and go fast.  I don't NEED a J but with a potential partner I am definitely pushing for it.  a basic autopilot has been high on my list.  now that I've been flying some nicer planes with working HSI's, that's been high on my list but absolutely not a deal breaker.  I prefer engine times over 400 and less than 1200 but also those are just preferences and not set in stone.  interior condition is not super high on the list.  like the J posted above, it's got brand spankin new interior.  it's gorgeous, but I don't need it.  basic engine monitor would suffice, so between the nice engine monitor and new interior, this plane is higher priced than I need.  but it is nice. my absolute biggest concern is corrosion.  it must be corrosion free, it will be the primary focus of any PPi of any plane I get.  

there are more requirements or general things I look for but this was just a quick summary.  honestly "the nicest C" right now would work.  it wouldn't work with just me, but with 2 it should be easy. a top of the line E would also work, as would 'most' F's.  a J is a stretch, but I'm trying to make it work.

• Like 2

I like your requirements list. And if I were you, I'd take my $45K and go buy the nicest C you can. You should be able to find one that ticks all those boxes. I'm sure a partnership would be nice, but it's also nice to have the plane all to yourself, and not have to get anyone else's agreement for anything.

• Like 3

those are good.  I've always recommended a certified GPS and autopilot because they were the most expensive to add later.  I don't know if any of that will change in the future, but for now I'd recommend having them in any plane you consider.  An engine monitor is very nice, but you can get a non-primary for not a ton of money.

• Like 1

How many decent M20J's have you seen for $60K?  That one at All American is listed at $82,500.  It sounds like you should be looking for a C, E, or F.

If you found one listed here tomorrow are you prepared to pull the trigger?  Do you have cash or financing ready to go?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

How many decent M20J's have you seen for $60K?  That one at All American is listed at $82,500.  It sounds like you should be looking for a C, E, or F.

If you found one listed here tomorrow are you prepared to pull the trigger?  Do you have cash or financing ready to go?

haven't found any decent J's for 60.  I AM looking for either a C, E or F, trying to find a way to make a J work.  Yes, I am ready to pull the trigger.  I am not in a RUSH to pull the trigger.  RIght plane, and right plane only.