How long is your home runway

Pritch

11 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

It's interesting that the same Cleavland brake hardware installed on a number of different makes of aircraft on similar weight catagories so often get maligned in one application yet praised in another. I theorize that most Mooney braking issues come from pilots trying to use brakes to slow an airplane with very little of it's weight on the wheels. 

That's why I reach out one finger and raise the flaps soon after touchdown, and don't bother braking until I've slowed to under 50 mph. I also routinely stop 2500-2600 feet from the end of the runway, but I'm getting better about that since moving from the 5000' field that spoiled me to 3200' (still longer than the 3000' where I was based for seven years).

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

That's why I reach out one finger and raise the flaps soon after touchdown, and don't bother braking until I've slowed to under 50 mph. I also routinely stop 2500-2600 feet from the end of the runway, but I'm getting better about that since moving from the 5000' field that spoiled me to 3200' (still longer than the 3000' where I was based for seven years).

Agreed. If the wing is in ground effect, the brakes are not going to be effective regardless of the hardware. 

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I personally find the mooney brakes to be mostly garbage, but ours is a heavy pig.

I've found the Acclaim brakes to be way better than the 231's. if it's possible, you won't regret installing the dual puck units from th long body.

7 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

In all these discussions of Mooneys that can land in very short distances, it is interesting to note that for LAHSO operations, the FAA does not think Mooneys can stop very well.

While many (most?) common GA aircraft are considered group 1, or 2, the FAA puts all M-20's into group 4.....requiring 4000', or more for LAHSO operations.  The notable exception:  The M-18 Mite is group 1:  2500'.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7110.118.pdf

According to the chart my M20K is in group 6 and requires 5000ft.  At my home airport, that would put me in Humboldt Bay.  I usually make the turnoff just past halfway on a 3000 ft runway.

Pritch 

I'm with Hank and Ross.  Retract flaps before touching the brakes and you'll get much better performance.  

Unfortunately there are quite a few pilots, many on this forum, who were taught as gospel, never to touch flaps before exiting the runway. This is usually taught without any explanation of why. On our Mooney's, flaps are nowhere near gear or anything else that might cause a problem. But braking with lift still under the wings will do nothing but flat-spot the tires.

The brakes on my 252 are fantastic, by the way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm with Hank and Ross.  Retract flaps before touching the brakes and you'll get much better performance.  

Unfortunately there are quite a few pilots, many on this forum, who were taught as gospel, never to touch flaps before exiting the runway. This is usually taught without any explanation of why. On our Mooney's, flaps are nowhere near gear or anything else that might cause a problem. But braking with lift still under the wings will do nothing but flat-spot the tires.

The brakes on my 252 are fantastic, by the way.

As soon as I'm on the ground I flip the lever to raise flaps, open cowl flaps, boost pump off, lean mixture, then brake as necessary. I'm not concerned about mistakenly raising the gear or doing something besides raising flaps when I am trying to raise flaps. With the manual gear I don't even see how that would be possible...

2 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

As soon as I'm on the ground I flip the lever to raise flaps, open cowl flaps, boost pump off, lean mixture, then brake as necessary. I'm not concerned about mistakenly raising the gear or doing something besides raising flaps when I am trying to raise flaps. With the manual gear I don't even see how that would be possible...

Exactly!

KFCM has two east west parallels, 4,000 and 5,000, and a north-south 2700.  It has plenty of clearance on all sides but you would not want to overrun west to east, you would wind up on a busy road which a jet managed to do a couple of years ago, and same thing south north but no one has overrun that one in recent history that I am aware of.  I land at 75 most of the time.  Crosswinds, which we get often, require greater speed.

Defuniak Springs FL, 54J
09/27 is 4146 x 60 ft. paved

18/36 is 2700 x 60 ft. dirt

Yep you guessed it the winds tend to favor 18/38 which is why almost every other airport in the area is 18/36 +-.  Get lots of X-wind practice

Fairplanes airpark near Greenville Michigan.  Not my home field.  Brother-in-law lives here.  We come to visit often.  Home away from home!  2000' grass strip with big trees and power lines on the west end.  I reposition the plane to a nice paved runway 3 miles away for the max gross flight home.  

Jason

8 hours ago, air cooled dad said:

Fairplanes airpark near Greenville Michigan.  Not my home field.  Brother-in-law lives here.  We come to visit often.  Home away from home!  2000' grass strip with big trees and power lines on the west end.  I reposition the plane to a nice paved runway 3 miles away for the max gross flight home.  

Jason

Indeed that looks like the stuff aviation dreams are made of.

• Like 1

2800' X 100' paved runway is my home drome.  80 mph on final, 70 mph over the fence.  This is the approach to 27 and is the one used over 80% of the time.  I can usually make the first taxiway on the right (<1000').

58b71d072b787_Aug0663.thumb.JPG.d9b8475e2d76806d36563882196620e2.JPG

Less than 6 miles away is another with 6000' X 150'. Yves and I will use that runway to practice our formation landings.  That is his home drome.

Gatineau.thumb.jpg.005aff7c40639d523be8e9db29b7f3e3.jpgI was once based at Brampton (near Toronto) with 3500' X 70' and 2500' X 75' and those landings had a bit higher pucker factor, which resulted in motivation to nail the centreline every time. 

Brampton.jpg.eda711d0fb27b0c48ad3d699cab4ba23.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

I was once based at Brampton (near Toronto) with 3500' X 70' and 2500' X 75' and those landings had a bit higher pucker factor, which resulted in motivation to nail the centreline every time. 

You should visit my parents--its 2770 x 40 in poor shape.

20141115_093302.thumb.jpg.0e6f5f900f620d16f4a2604f81e6238a.jpg

On 2/28/2017 at 6:43 AM, Shadrach said:

The TCDS actually says to retract flaps after landing. See note 8.

image.thumb.png.66d2ba475f1d69a3502b19979bc5a5f0.png

That doesn't have anything to do with retracting flaps immediately after landing.  Note that it only applies to hydraulic flaps.  That statement is there to remind you not to leave your hydraulic flap system pressurized.

Just now, mooniac15u said:

That doesn't have anything to do with retracting flaps immediately after landing.  Note that it only applies to hydraulic flaps.  That statement is there to remind you not to leave your hydraulic flap system pressurized.

Thanks for the correction.  It's actually part of Note 2 placards (a. #8).

I had mistaken it for Note #8 "See aircraft weight and balance data for wheel locations"

It's hard to get anything by this group!

On 2/28/2017 at 1:37 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Unfortunately there are quite a few pilots, many on this forum, who were taught as gospel, never to touch flaps before exiting the runway. This is usually taught without any explanation of why. On our Mooney's, flaps are nowhere near gear or anything else that might cause a problem.

Explanation...

When the brain fails it doesn't matter where the switch is or what it's shape is...

Distraction is the brain failure that allows the pilot to move the wrong switch without noticing it being wrong.

usually, added stress for the pilot, can interfere with the error checking routine that usually goes with these kind of things.

ever put the wrong condiment on your food?  Grab the OJ from the fridge instead of the milk?

How far did you get before noticing the mistake?

Sometimes rushing the process is the lead in to making a simple mistake.  High ground speed, running out of runway happens pretty quickly.  Grabbing the wrong familiar switch is a high probability.

Being young and in good health probably leads to the feeling this never happens...

age slowly, and have some health issues, poor sleep, or the flu, throw on some medication...

Stuff happens.  

Best regards,

-a-

On 2/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, Pritch said:

According to the chart my M20K is in group 6 and requires 5000ft.  At my home airport, that would put me in Humboldt Bay.  I usually make the turnoff just past halfway on a 3000 ft runway.

Pritch 

I agree ,my m20m is also group 6 ..should be group 4 

Truth be told...if I break out low IMC...say 400 or less ,and am at 90 kts I whistled over the runway using up a couple thousand feet easy!Apparently the FAA knows this when they calculated stopping distance.Slowing up to 70 kts doesn't feel right on an ILS.

• Like 1

I'm at Byron, CA. (C83)  Runway 30 is 4500 x 100  and runway 23 is 3000 x 75. Elevation 78' I use them both frequently and shoot for 73mph in my F. I use that speed pretty much everywhere I go. I think this picture may have been taken from some kind of WWII bomber!

18288350522_36c58fc22c_z.jpg