How long is your home runway

Pritch

6 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Oceano Airport L52 is 2315 feet.

So far you're in the lead with shortest runway.

My home airport is 4,037 feet. I assume the last 37 feet is so it is eligible for a GPS approach which we just recently got. I do 80 over the fence if I'm lazy, but sometimes I'll try 75 and it makes it easier to plant the plane on my aimpoint.

9 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

So far you're in the lead with shortest runway.

My home airport is 4,037 feet. I assume the last 37 feet is so it is eligible for a GPS approach which we just recently got. I do 80 over the fence if I'm lazy, but sometimes I'll try 75 and it makes it easier to plant the plane on my aimpoint.

80 won't work for places like these!

http://www.airnav.com/airport/MD42

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2W2

Does it have to be in a Mooney? If not, my old home base in CT was 1800'. Mostly fixed gear Cessnas but I did fly an Arrow there once. Short field set up, whatever you flew. 

OTOH, the shortest runway at my next home base was 4800' which felt pretty short since the MSL altitude was 5885'. Flew an M20C out of there.

Due to displaced thresholds at both ends, my airport (Y47) is 2264 x 40 landing west and a whopping 1862 landing east.  And the surface is crappy, too.

70 miles per hour on short final, full flaps, retract the flaps to get better braking shortly after touchdown.

When I'm by myself I'm doing closer to 65 MPH on short final as I cross the airport boundary.

But that's nothing for an M20C.  A friend used to fly his Ovation 3 out of my airport.

• Like 3

I am CYYJ 7000' and two crosswinds at about 5000'.  61' ASL.

70-80kts over the fence and I am clear of active before the half way mark.

8 hours ago, 170driver said:

CYNJ - most often use 01/19 which is 2100' long.
80mph on final - maybe 75 over the fence - I don't often look at that point!
Field is 34' ASL

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny I was just wondering about operations out of Langley as I need to do some work in the area. Glad to see another wet coast canuck on the board,

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Hank said:

I've moved from 3000' obstructed at both ends, 567 msl, to 3200' mostly open but far from level at 326 msl.

20161210_121312.thumb.jpg.cb46b7b821521ea17b0d26a6181d0810.jpg

70-75 mph works well on short final. Landing on 31, if I'm on speed, hardly need brakes to make the turnoff to the hangar. 

Hank, If there continues to be that much activity you guys will need a tower at the field. :) 

• Like 1

I am CYYJ 7000' and two crosswinds at about 5000'.  61' ASL.
70-80kts over the fence and I am clear of active before the half way mark.

Funny I was just wondering about operations out of Langley as I need to do some work in the area. Glad to see another wet coast canuck on the board,

I haven't tried departing at gross on a hot day - would opt for 07/25 at 2700'. Did t/o from Okotoks at gross on a 29 deg day a couple of years ago. 3500' rwy and wheels were off a little past the halfway point, so wouldn't try it with 2100'.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

Hank, If there continues to be that much activity you guys will need a tower at the field. :) 

A plane is being rehabbed now, so traffic should soon double!  :P  (Hey, two planes should generate twice the traffic of one, right?)

• Like 1

Aerial photo of KGSO (Piedmont Triad International Airport)

KGSO is where my Mooney F model lives..... 3 runways

10,001 foot runway

9,000 foot runway

6,380 foot runway

Taking off I am at pattern altitude with runway still under me, kind of comforting in a way. Control tower with radar also

Edited by Mooney_Mike

In all these discussions of Mooneys that can land in very short distances, it is interesting to note that for LAHSO operations, the FAA does not think Mooneys can stop very well.

While many (most?) common GA aircraft are considered group 1, or 2, the FAA puts all M-20's into group 4.....requiring 4000', or more for LAHSO operations.  The notable exception:  The M-18 Mite is group 1:  2500'.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7110.118.pdf

4 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

In all these discussions of Mooneys that can land in very short distances, it is interesting to note that for LAHSO operations, the FAA does not think Mooneys can stop very well.

While many (most?) common GA aircraft are considered group 1, or 2, the FAA puts all M-20's into group 4.....requiring 4000', or more for LAHSO operations.  The notable exception:  The M-18 Mite is group 1:  2500'.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7110.118.pdf

Yep, there we are in Group 4 along with the Cessna 170 and the Turbo Meridian. Wonder what makes moving the nose wheel to the tail push the 170 so much further along than the 172? Apparently Mooneys flown by superior pilots (as are often found here!  :lol: )  are in the minority among all Mooneys in the GA fleet.

But then again, this is government, so it does not have to make sense.

12 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yep, there we are in Group 4 along with the Cessna 170 and the Turbo Meridian. Wonder what makes moving the nose wheel to the tail push the 170 so much further along than the 172? Apparently Mooneys flown by superior pilots (as are often found here!  :lol: )  are in the minority among all Mooneys in the GA fleet.

But then again, this is government, so it does not have to make sense.

I personally find the mooney brakes to be mostly garbage, but ours is a heavy pig.

It's interesting that the same Cleavland brake hardware installed on different makes of aircraft in similar weight catagories so often get maligned in one application yet praised in another. I theorize that most Mooney braking issues come from pilots trying to use brakes to slow an airplane with very little of it's weight on the wheels. 

• Like 1