Garmin GNC 255: Does it have competition?

pinerunner

I've been looking for replacement  for my old King 125 Nav Com and all I can find new is the Garmin GNC 255. This packs a lot into a nice little package and the price doesn't scare me off. What bugs me is no one seems to be competing with Garmin on this. Am I wrong? Have all the others written off the low end GA market?

I've been looking for replacement  for my old King 125 Nav Com and all I can find new is the Garmin GNC 255. This packs a lot into a nice little package and the price doesn't scare me off. What bugs me is no one seems to be competing with Garmin on this. Am I wrong? Have all the others written off the low end GA market?

There are some competitors. Bendix King still makes the KX-155, 196 and the 97. Icom has a model and there are a few others.

I have the GNC 255 in my plane. Works great.

81279a564d917dfefe814bd7ca3d16c6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, pinerunner said:

How much does it cost to update the database for this GPS/Com

$315 for about 65% of the country east or west, $380 for all US. Prices are from JeppDirect. I have a 300xl i'm will to part with, PM if interested. Hope the pic below shows up correctly:

Navdata.png

Edited by lamont337
Fixing pic

JeppDirect should give you a free GNC300XL at those prices. Is it the same price for 430W/GTN updates? They are begging for software pirating. 

I see that the Garmin GNC255 is $3875 at Chief Aircraft. That is a lot of cash... You can get a SL30 for about $1000-1500 less.