Flying is easy, Landing is hard

Yetti

This thread is about landing attitude....  not the position of the plane,  but the mindset of the pilot.   As you are on final what is going through your mind?   Is it "ya I got this"  "do what you were taught"   "make it a good one"  "centerline is the centerline"   "Oh wow this runway looks small"  "show me some of that pilot stuff Mav"

I just flew my first flight in my "new" M20J. First tow landings were great, on speed over the numbers and gently settled down. The next one was the proverbial float with a small bounce which led to a sencond, thankfully, small bounce with a go-around. Two mistakes here. One was not having the correct airspeed over the numbers but concentrating so much on landing that I did not hold it off in order to bleed the airspeed down, since I had plenty of runway left. Two - I did not initiate a go-around after the first bounce. Next couple of landing were satisfactory. 

Airspeed airspeed airspeed, go around go around go around. The two things that should be in front of bought pattern for landing. 

I'm verbally calling out Vref...one last gear check...scanning the runway for jackalopes...centerline...wind correction...eyes on the landing spot...power off when the runway is made....@5 feet, eyes at the end of the runway...touch nothing until I am off the runway. 

Pretty much what you said.  Yetti

Occasionally there is a more challenging landing where you were too fast, too high, ATC requests that made things more challenging or a stronger crosswind than you have landed in a while but you pull on your training, experience and make a good landing.

Speed is only important if you're short on runway. We land Mooney's all the time at 90 knots over the numbers. Again, assuming you've got the runway, throttle to idle, put it down in ground effect and hold it off until it quits flying. Even a bounce is no issue, just continue to fly it down the runway until it quits flying. You'll grease it on every time. Come ride along with any of us in the Texas Wing if you'd like to see it work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

This thread is about landing attitude....  not the position of the plane,  but the mindset of the pilot.   As you are on final what is going through your mind?   Is it "ya I got this"  "do what you were taught"   "make it a good one"  "centerline is the centerline"   "Oh wow this runway looks small"  "show me some of that pilot stuff Mav"

Yes, all of above. Sometimes it is just one of those thoughts on a specific landing, and sometimes a combination of them.

You forgot one, "I sure hope this works..." :unsure:

My attitude is always completely fluid in landing.

What I mean is, that my flaps coming down is completely dependent on my environment. I rarely use full flaps unless the environment requires it. I.e. short runway or some other necessities to maneuver at a slower airspeed.

I use sight picture over all else, that includes airspeed. As long as I'm not at stall, I don't care about it. I know I can land that airplane at just about any speed I choose. (A huge benefit in heavy gusts)

The last thing is keeping my attitude after the mains touch and keeping the nosewheel off so I have good rudder authority throughout the ground roll. Pilots wonder why they get squirly on the runway when they touch down too fast, and it's because the nosewheel is on the ground and steering you while the wing is still flying. (Ask me how I know that. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On final . . . Thoughts?

Runway alignment, glide path (are there VASI / PAPIs?), speed check, mechanical indicator in the floor, altitude, speed, alignment, pull power, speed, alignment, altitude out the window, alignment, flare, altitude out the window, alignment, touchdown, alignment, flaps Up, where am I exiting, brakes needed?, taxi.

More or less . . . .

Depends on how challenging the environment is. Winds, runway length and obstructions. Example is my home field - it sits on top of almost what I would describe as a razed hilltop where the approach end to the prevailing wind runway is a drop off of about 75-100 feet. The issue is that every time it gets gusty the hillside has a rotor effect and there is both shear and a downdraft. Coming in this weekend I knew to expect that local environment so kept my sped up to 90 mph, half flaps. You absolutely need the extra energy coming into the gully and will still need additional power. Once out of the gully you know that you're going to float a good bit down the runway. That's Ok since it's 4000 ft and you can come in fast and still make the turnoff. It's mostly about knowing the local runway environment, weather conditions and matching up what you expect to what you observe. If they're wildly different something is off and needs to be re evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason, I am reminded of my last for real go-around.  I hit the seat belt latch while adjusting the trim wheel.  The seat belt came undone on a short  final.   Full flaps of course, which is why I was adjusting the trim.  

On 2/22/2017 at 6:39 AM, Yetti said:

Never really thought about it.... no that wasn't a pun... 

I would say all the above along with field conditions, winds, temp, runway length and condition etc... and aircraft weight. Airspeed short final and in the flare I'm saying to myself "hold it hold it hold it" 

Mike

Lets seeeee... I'm wondering if the courtesy car will be available and how long it will take to get the shopping done and I wonder if this might be easier if I had an angle of attack indicator.  If my wife is asleep I'm wondering if I can land it without waking her. Of course there is always the decision about what to have for lunch. This is on my mind.  Enter the pattern and do my GUMPASS

My first thought is that landing is not hard....landing well is hard.

I don't think that I usually have a running commentary of thoughts, in words, going through my head during landing. I'm concentrating on the sight picture and responding to what I am seeing in trying to get the right outcome. Prior to dealing with those last few challenging moments of landing the airplane, if I am facing challenging wind conditions, I might remind myself of something my Dad once said to me. "Make the airplane do what you want it to do." That always seems to help.

I don't get too stressed about it. It's kinda like putting the car into a tight driveway. Just line up and don't get distracted. I don't care what the speed is as long as the angle of attack is right.

Make sure the gear is down and do the gumps check (gear, undercarriage, make sure the gear's down, put the gear down, sure the gear is down).

Edited by 201er
  • Like 3