Century NSD360A HSI overhaul

whiskytango

Does anyone have any experience with getting a Century NSD360A slaved HSI overhauled?  I am trying to make the decision whether to do an overhaul on the HSI (it has problems) or replace it with an Aspen Evolution 1000 Pro, and I want to find a shop that can give me a quote for the overhaul.

Thanks kevinw.  My avionics guy is telling me the same thing, apparently because the components are packed together so tightly that it is almost impossible to work on it.  The labor charge is extremely high to punish us for making the tech work on the thing.  I am also keeping the Aspen option open, as opposed to trying to keep a 35 year-old instrument alive by disgruntled techs and no factory support.  FWIW, the HSI is being sent to Porter-Strait in Tulsa for evaluation/quote.

If you're not ready to pull the trigger on the Aspen I would buy a used NSD360. You can pick one up for about $500 but know you're on borrowed time from day one. I did this and used it for a year. Worked perfectly and I was able to resell it for what I paid for it when I had the Aspen installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/22/2017 at 3:28 PM, teejayevans said:

They are more expensive than the Aspen Pros, I don't see why you would buy one today.

I wouldn't for a huge amount. I said people did that back before Aspens. Because they didn't want to keep overhauling their NSD360's. It might still be an option as people pull them out for upgrades.

On 2/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, teejayevans said:

They are more expensive than the Aspen Pros, I don't see why you would buy one today.

I bought a Sandel SN3308 and all the stuff to make it go, for 2800$ which is a heck of a lot cheaper than an Aspen. You can get the display for 12-1800$ if you look.