M20J Castle Nut tolerance/clearance on Mains

KB4

I am working on a pre purchase inspection.  Only 1 issue came up. 

I have attached 2 pictures of the difference in the clearance between the castle nut and the strut.  Does anyone know if this is within tolerance or seen or experienced this issue.  The pictures are attached. 

m20J Pic 1.JPG

m20j pic 2.JPG

The castellated nuts appear to be properly installed.  There is some movement fore and aft in the mounting blocks.  The right hand gear leg appears to be moved aft, the left hand leg forward.  That could cause the difference in appearance.

Not sure from the picture, but is the zerc fitting from the right hand gear missing?

Looks right to me. If you have it up on jacks, put the gear part way up and see if the retract link has a lot of side play. If it does that nut may hit the leg. If the leg slides fore and aft you may need new end plates (or turn over the ones you have).

You are missing the zercs at the front pivot, but so am I. I just stick one of the press in zercs in the grease gun, shove it in the hole, pump in some grease, pry it out of the grease gun and put it back in the tool box. That zerc design was not one of Mooney's better ideas.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Looks right to me. If you have it up on jacks, put the gear part way up and see if the retract link has a lot of side play. If it does that nut may hit the leg. If the leg slides fore and aft you may need new end plates (or turn over the ones you have).

You are missing the zercs at the front pivot, but so am I. I just stick one of the press in zercs in the grease gun, shove it in the hole, pump in some grease, pry it out of the grease gun and put it back in the tool box.

I was wondering how to grease that just last week.  I know it needs to be greased but couldn't find the zerk.  Thought it might be on of those we have to swing the gear to get to, but didnt feel it on top.