Ovation windscreen replacement

StevenL757

Has any Ovation, Eagle, Acclaim, or Bravo owner replaced their forward windscreen, and if so, who did you use?  Would you recommend anyone different if you had to do it again?  I have a small vertical crack nearly an inch long, slightly left of CL, starting at the top edge where the windscreen meets the aircraft skin.  As the crack has gradually grown over the last 6 months, I'm starting to line up prospective sources in case it doesn't pass annual this year.  Spoke with my IA today, and although he can do the work, he admits it isn't his strongest area and would feel comfortable if someone else with this expertise engage.  Grateful for any thoughts, as I've heard horror stories and am dreading the thought of having to eventually do this.  Thanks all...

Steve

I would expect Dave at the MSC in NJ has the experience.

The acrylic plastic will continue to crack unless stop drilled.

it is probably better to stop drill it and fill the drilled hole with silicone until until you can get the window replaced.  

The crack can continue in one direction or do a whole bunch of random changes of direction.

There is a lot of air pressure on the windscreen generating the force needed to propagate the crack...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The windscreen is not very hard to replace...very carefully drill all 60 rivets off the lower retainer of that windshield,clean out the channel apply new PRC, reinstall the retainer strip with number 4 cherrymax rivets. I've seen some really really really poor jobs of replacing the windshield with Phillips head screws and stuff like that holding he retainer on. It should be indistinguishable from factory if done right. 

Also spend the extra bucks and get the UV silver gray tint it looks really nice

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

Steven:

I own a repair station at KMQS in PA.   http://www.sureflight.com  136 nm from KISP.

We bought a Mooney 205 that we are refurbishing:  paint, interior, and avionics.  We changed all the windows including the windshield with a Great Lakes Areo .250" extra thick windshield. 

We can replace your windshield and professionally repaint the lower retainer after it is riveted back on.

Feel free to email me at dwatkins@sureflight.com me if you are interested. 

Here is a few photos from our install last month.

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7171.JPG

Edited by Rmag
  • Like 1

Usually, that is the case.  If not, then its significantly  more work to remove the cherry rivets.  I think someone sells a tool for this, but a dremel with a very small bit on the end will work. Grind into the flat end of the rivet until you destroy the lock ring, then drive out stem.  You can also grind off the back side of the rivet,  most can be reached. 

Edited by jetdriven

I quickly reviewed some photos at the SureFlight web site...

There are some pretty extravagant paint and interiors done there. One photo in particular showed a comfy chair and chess set on a table.  Playing chess in the backseat of a Mooney could be pretty interesting.  The table would need some strong magnets to hold everything in place.

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, Rmag said:

Will do, will he know who "Marauder" is? :)

If you check out the first picture in the Avionics Gallery on our website, you will see his handiwork on our Mooney.

The panel itself looks great, but painting the sheet metal black makes it look dated. One of my next projects is to have my panel powder coated a light color. 

On 2/20/2017 at 10:14 PM, LANCECASPER said:

That might be a Don Maxwell job.

Well . . . after further consideration . . . looking after Sureflight's work on the Mooney 205 and their website and since it's 136 nm away, it definitely looks like they have the expertise to do it. It's nice to have options but it's nice to have the work semi-local.