IPad Mounting?

Well, I have a nearly new Mini and my 6 year old IPad is not reliable any more.  I am thinking about moving Foreflight to the Mini and mounting it on the yoke.  Then I will use the old IPad for email, surfing and such.  I am skeptical that the Mini will be big enough for my old eyeballs.

4 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Well, I have a nearly new Mini and my 6 year old IPad is not reliable any more.  I am thinking about moving Foreflight to the Mini and mounting it on the yoke.  Then I will use the old IPad for email, surfing and such.  I am skeptical that the Mini will be big enough for my old eyeballs.

I was skeptical for the same reason. Then I borrowed a Mini from a friend, loaded the ForeFlight trial, and flew a couple of approaches to see. I was immediately convinced my worries were misdirected. About a month later I bought my Mini and sold my full-size iPad 3 on eBay, I liked it so much. I also have an 8" Android for backup. They've been perfect for me for flight in portrait mode.

So give it a try before you decide you can't. 

• Like 1

I use an iPad mini and Stratus 2S, using the RAM clamp, mounted to my center roll cage bar just above the compass (photo to come)...it gets in the way of the visor but it's a pretty handy location. I tried it on the yoke but it got in the way of the lower 3 on the six pack. Kind of annoying to have it so close as well. That being said, it's a little annoying to have it 30 degrees up and to the right. There's no perfect place. 

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

iPad Mini mounting in my 252 (the white yokes) and the C (leather Ovation style yokes).

Same location for  me with a Mini and portable RAM mount, Don't know if you are using something like it, but one addition I got was a rotating RAM base which allows me to turn the iPad from portrait to landscape, among othe angles, without removing anything.

Same here, Paul, with great success. Google "Steelie Car Mount Kit" but make sure you get the magnetic tablet socket and not the magnetic phone socket as it is bigger and presumably stronger. I also use their phone mount in my car. 

I looked at these on Amazon. Is the thing on the back of the iPad permanently mounted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not using the Steelie mount, but rather just a flat magnetic mount. So there is just a thin flat piece of steel stuck to the back of the iPad. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Magnetic-Cradle-less-Rectangle-Compatible/dp/B00O2HYV7K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488299419&sr=8-4&keywords=iPad+magnetic+mount

I'm also concerned about the Steelie mount piece stuck to the iPad. Although, the adjustable tilt would be a nice feature. I'll probably get one and try it.

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm using a magnetic mount in the center of the yoke. I can remove the iPad or change it's orientation with two fingers at anytime. I really like not having anything bolted to the yoke or shaft.

I'm curious and concerned about the effect of the magnetic mount on things like your magnetic compass, I've always been a little worried about anything regarding magnets and airplanes for that reason.

6 hours ago, cctsurf said:

I'm curious and concerned about the effect of the magnetic mount on things like your magnetic compass, I've always been a little worried about anything regarding magnets and airplanes for that reason.

I've never seen any effect on the compass.  And the compass is quite a ways away from the magnets in the center of the yoke.

(just a second while I put the flame suit on) I'm not really concerned if there was an inadvertent or temporary effect on the compass. In the modern cockpit, there is so much redundant nav equipment, I can't imagine ever using the compass for anything other than to hang there and keep me IFR legal and airworthy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've never seen any effect on the compass.  And the compass is quite a ways away from the magnets in the center of the yoke.

(just a second while I put the flame suit on) I'm not really concerned if there was an inadvertent or temporary effect on the compass. In the modern cockpit, there is so much redundant nav equipment, I can't imagine ever using the compass for anything other than to hang there and keep me IFR legal and airworthy. 

Can't speak to the mount, but my Bose A20s pull my S.I.R.S. whiskey compass just a tad. I can see it ever so slightly when I move my head to eliminate parallax. 

19 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Midlifeflyer,

Do you know the exact items and part number to mount the mini this way.  If the info is not readily at hand don't worry about it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

This should get you close. As I mentioned, in my case it's not a permanent mount but portable. I'm using a pretty standard RAM yoke mount, http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-121BU with the Tab-Tite cradle http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TAB29U is one of them, not sure it's the specific one. I like the Tab-Tite because it fits my Mini and my Android with their smart cover/cases simply folded behind. Something like an Otterbox might require something bigger. I have two different double socket arms, the regular and a longer one. I just find it gives me more mounting options. Finally the Rotor-Vue plate, http://www.rammount.com/search?search_type=search&query=RAMHOLROTO1U, lets me rotate the tablet from portrait to landacspe and between. 

• 1 month later...

I found an answer for my M20C for my Ipad mini. This works well - developer is a Mooney pilot who did this for him self but will make them up for others. I just got it last week and found it to be very good. Bill Bond. Below is the info.

Tablet and Smart Phone Yoke Mounts

A different kind of yoke mount!
Our new Yoke Mounts are now available in limited numbers for your vintage Mooney.  Our yoke mount provides quick and easy installation and removal of your tablet.  The mount is easily installed on your vintage Mooney yoke in place of the clock. Custom versions are available.   See Tablet Yoke Mount page for details.

Picture

• 3 weeks later...

I've been really happy with RAM mounts in rentals, but I've never had to make it clear the bulk of an E yoke with the clock. (I can use the clock/ timer in the GX55 GPS to be IFR legal, no?) Anyone use a claw or permanently fixed RAM nub and arm(s) to clear the clock assembly? What config?

http://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2015/09/ipad-and-foreflight.html

http://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2016/08/just-few-updates.html

5 hours ago, chrixxer said:

I've been really happy with RAM mounts in rentals, but I've never had to make it clear the bulk of an E yoke with the clock. (I can use the clock/ timer in the GX55 GPS to be IFR legal, no?) Anyone use a claw or permanently fixed RAM nub and arm(s) to clear the clock assembly? What config?

http://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2015/09/ipad-and-foreflight.html

http://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2016/08/just-few-updates.html

Have you thought about a longer double socket arm? They come in at least 3 sizes. One is shorter than the one that comes standard, the other is longer.  Or even two of them to give more directional flex?

I usually use the standard, but carry a long one in my flight bag. I've used both at times to come up under the yoke or around the side between the yoke centerpiece and horn.

6 hours ago, chrixxer said:

I used my wrist watch during my IR, my iPad covers the clock in the yoke too, DPE never said anything. I rotate my watch 180* from the norm so it can be read with out having to rotate my arm when flying or when on my Motorcycle.

• Like 1

This is what I use for my Android tablet. I don't have a clock in the yoke but there was one there at some point. (Sometime in the last 50 years it was removed.) The arm on the mount is enough to go under the yoke and hold the tablet. I can angle it enough that I can see all the instruments.

Amazon - RAM Mounts (RAM-B-121-202U) Yoke Clamp Mount With Double Socket Arm And Round Base Adapter

Amazon - Ram Mount X-Grip III Universal Clamping Cradle for 10-Inch Large Tablets

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Have you thought about a longer double socket arm? They come in at least 3 sizes. One is shorter than the one that comes standard, the other is longer.  Or even two of them to give more directional flex?

I usually use the standard, but carry a long one in my flight bag. I've used both at times to come up under the yoke or around the side between the yoke centerpiece and horn.

That's my question! Which part numbers or sizes are your arms? Thanks!