IPad Mounting?

I started to pose this question in my existing thread about my new baby, but decided it might be worthy of a stand alone discussion.

I have flown my Cessna 140 for 6 years with Foreflight on my IPad.  When I first got the IPad, I started looking for mounts and places to put it, but the cockpit had no good spot for it.  I ended up just setting it in my lap and it has worked great that way.  When I go on a trip, I tie it to a lanyard just to make sure that it doesn't end up under the rudder pedals if I get in some turbulence or something.

So.... Now I am moving into a different cockpit, is there a good location for the IPad, or should I just continue pitching it on my lap?

i think Guitarmaster is showing his view of the instruments in the picture. I have the same view with mine. Not a problem when mounted properly and unless you are all the way forward in the seat position you should have plenty of range in adjusting it.

My opinion is if you are using your iPad for instrument flight it has to be mounted on the yoke rather than your lap because the latter is vertigo inducing. But for VFR it doesn't matter at all IMO.

I use the MyGoFlight yoke mount with their plastic case as Turtle shows above for its superior adjust ability. (He must be a smart guy! :) )

• Like 2

GuitarMeister, what kind of transponder is that?  Is it new enough for ADS-B OUT?

thanks for the comment about the IPad in the lap during IFR flying.  I guess I was expecting to see some folks mounting their IPad somewhere in the cockpit other than the yoke.  I think it must be psychological with me, worrying about it obstructing my view.  May be something I need to just bite the bullet and get used to it.  In my 140 I have my IPhone mounted on the yoke.

Edited by MBDiagMan

You have to try it,it works fine for many of us and I'd go a step further that with a good mount system it should guarantee getting a satisfactory view. But not everyone is willing to spend the money it may take.

You will see lots of example of mountings other than the yoke. There are no shortage of these. But whatever you opt for, be sure to consider the crash worthiness of which ever mount you choose. Our steel cage will remain intact at well over 9g's -about the most we'll survive properly restrained. Most fatals are due to blunt force trauma to the head and chest so avoid adding anything sharp and protruding that could lead to injuries. My self personally, I have always been very leary of mounts above the yoke that can lead to flying ipad in a crash or provide another rigid obstruction to hit.  

• Like 1

I use the yoke mount as well. If you want to keep it on your knee instead you can get one of these. I would roll up a washcloth and put it under the forward edge of the tablet which angled it towards me making it easier to read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUGO78C/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this when I was renting planes and it worked really well. Now that I have my own I have the ram mount on the yoke and I keep my old knee board on my right leg to jot down quick notes if I want to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F29036/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plus

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F29036/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gives you the yoke mount for about $70

Edited by Skates97

Lots of great tips and suggestions.  I already have part of the yoke mount in the 140 that I use for the IPhone.  It is quite handy sometimes.  I don't want to be moving things back and forth between planes if I don't have to.  That said, once I have the Mooney it will be my traveler, so I probably won't need such navigational items in the 140 any more.

iPad, iPad mini, iPhone...

left yoke, right yoke, windshield edges, center post.

Kneeboard mounts, and panel temporary mounts.

There are many threads if you want to read them all....

Don't forget  to look up the various wires 12/24v to USB....

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

GuitarMeister, what kind of transponder is that?  Is it new enough for ADS-B OUT?
thanks for the comment about the IPad in the lap during IFR flying.  I guess I was expecting to see some folks mounting their IPad somewhere in the cockpit other than the yoke.  I think it must be psychological with me, worrying about it obstructing my view.  May be something I need to just bite the bullet and get used to it.  In my 140 I have my IPhone mounted on the yoke.

That is the StratusESG. It is a standalone ADS-b out. I also have a Stratus 2 attached to it. That gives me the "in" on my iPad.

Love the setup!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Meister, is the Stratus 2 permanently mounted?  Is the Stratus 2 integrated with the Stratus ESG in any way?  The reason I ask is that since I have a KT76A, I can get ADS-B out with a KT 74 transponder, but if the ESG integrates withe the Stratus 2 better, it might be a wiser choice.

No, the Stratus 2 is typically just on a suction mount on the window, or sitting on the glare shield.  It doesn't really integrate with the ESG any more than the Stratus 2 will integrate with the KT 74.

I've previously been using the GTX 330ES for ADSB out with the Stratus 2 and ForeFlight for ADSB in on the iPad Mini. That would be the same as you would get with a Stratus 2 + ESG or Stratus 2 + KT 74.

Thanks Paul!  That confirms what I thought.  The transponder sending ADS-B out, is basically electronically independent of dealing with ADS-B in.  Since I already have the KT 76A, it would be easier to integrate the KT 74 and it would be functionally identical to the Stratus ESG.

4 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Meister, is the Stratus 2 permanently mounted?  Is the Stratus 2 integrated with the Stratus ESG in any way?  The reason I ask is that since I have a KT76A, I can get ADS-B out with a KT 74 transponder, but if the ESG integrates withe the Stratus 2 better, it might be a wiser choice.

Yes and no. It is 'semi-permently' mounted.  In the picture of the panel, you can see the Stratus2 mounted just under the dash by what would be the copilot's left leg.  It has a cable running to the ESG for power, GPS antenna and ADS-b antenna (uses the existing transponder antenna), but there is no data transfer.  Whenever the avionics master is on, the S2 is powered.  My avionics guy mounted it so it could be easily removed to use in a different plane if I ever rented something.  It's an excellent set-up.  The receiver is hidden since it uses remote antennas and still gives AHRS data.  

I replaced an old KT-76 so a 'slide-in' replacement of a KT-74 was not a viable option for me.

Yes the KT-74 will accomplish the 'out' function and the stratus will do the 'in', but you will either have to set the Status on the dash or buy separate external antennas if you want to hide it. I don't know what the cost of the KT-74 is, but I picked up the ESG for $2200 at KOSH from Sarasota Avionics.  My shop charged $1800 for the install.  Then I got the $500 rebate form the feds.  

Hope that answers your question.

AS for the mounting of the iPad, it looks in the picture that it would interfere with my hand, but it doesn't.  The picture is from my eye level.  All flight instruments are in view.  I have to lean forward a little to see the switches, but I know where they are without looking anyway.  I had it mounted to the copilots side windshield for a time, but I found it somewhat hard to read that far away and it tended to bounce around in the turbulence.  Also, with a passenger, it would totally block their view.  The pax side window was OK, but I found it unnatural to look sideways at the map.

Cheers!

It's the Mini for me. It fits nicely in the yoke either landscape or portrait mode. I've tried every mount in the book, and several home made ones as well.  I now use a magnetic mount that is right in the center of the pilots yoke. It stays put, but can be easily removed with one hand. I usually pull it and drop it in the passengers seat or lap when on final.

4 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Thanks for all the replies and pictures.  So, are you guys all using IPad Mini's?  My IPad has about had it and time to replace.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and use DroidEFB. In portrait orientation it fits the yoke perfectly. I've always been partial towards Android stuff and although Foreflight is the "Flagship" for many I think DroidEFB is a close second.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and use DroidEFB. In portrait orientation it fits the yoke perfectly. I've always been partial towards Android stuff and although Foreflight is the "Flagship" for many I think DroidEFB is a close second.

Wow, $150/yr for the IFR package! I try to remember to use Avare, but even this afternoon I had the tablet on the backseat and forgot to pick it up. If I had to pay for the app, that would make me feel really bad.

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Wow, $150/yr for the IFR package! I try to remember to use Avare, but even this afternoon I had the tablet on the backseat and forgot to pick it up. If I had to pay for the app, that would make me feel really bad.

I'm just a VFR guy, $75 for a year is a drop in the bucket. I tried the free ones and liked some of the features enough of this to buy it. We'll see if I still feel the same way when it's up for renewal this summer. I figure I'll give the free ones another try before it comes due and may or may not continue with it.