Fully Articulating seats

Has it been recovered.   I would bet the holes for the head rest are there.  Feel around on the top of the back.   If they are there you can search for threads on say toyota head rests being the same spacing.   Or it is just a piece of tubing with two bends.  Then the head rest slips has a pocket that slips over the tubing.

headrest2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Has it been recovered.   I would bet the holes for the head rest are there.  Feel around on the top of the back.   If they are there you can search for threads on say toyota head rests being the same spacing.   Or it is just a piece of tubing with two bends.  Then the head rest slips has a pocket that slips over the tubing.

headrest2.jpg

Is that your shaving kit or what?

• Like 2

Mine had been recovered around 2003 ish. I don't recall seeing any holes, but that was 13 years ago. I don't see how that cushion would fit my seat. I will try to find a picture. What does it look like on the seat?

Edited by Mooney_Mike

No, my seats don't have those holes. Or a metal loop sticking out the top. Strange since mine is a 75F like yours.

The holes may have been upholstered over. Do your seats look like they have been reupholstered? The holes are actually shafts that run down the seat back. If you have screws on the back of your seats, you could remove them and see if the shafts are there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bad news: chance of remembering the hidden structure when not looking for it is slim...

Good news: the hidden structure is probably inside most of them...

Better news: find the hidden structure and the Toyota headrests mentioned above....

Best news: having your local auto shop redo the leather and the seats will look nicer than a new acclaim...  this is a bit of a stretch.  But the other stuff I have learned about here at MS...

Funny question: why did most of the seats get the structure for head rests when even cars were not getting headrests in the '60s?   They became standard safety items to prevent whiplash when hit from behind.  Something that doesn't usually occur in Mooney's...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Here comes the wet towel being thrown over the discussion-

If the airplane didn't come from the factory with headrests its going to require a DER controlled pull test aft to make sure the added leverage of the height extension is in compliance with the seat G forces required going aft.

Just sayin'   No one ever seems to mention this.   It is in reality a design change to the seat that has to pass G load criteria. 

I know, more regulation minutia 

I took one of my seats to the junk yard and tried several different head rests until I found the look I wanted that fit.  Obviously take the seat before getting new leather put on.  Lol.   Troy 

• 2 weeks later...

The guide tubes are in the seat back. I had my seats reupholstered last year. I bought stainless tube and bent to fit the guide tubes and the upholstery ship covered the head rest loupe. It came out very nice.