Sonic boom

co2bruce

Haven't heard that sound since the 60's. A few nights ago a general aviation aircraft ( unresponsive) decided to fly over the presidents house here in Florida. 2 F15's were scrambled from Homestead AFB to intercept and one accidentally broke the sound barrier. I wouldn't want to be in the GA pilots shoes. 

I love Military jets !!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Push all the knobs forwards while calculating temperatures and density altitudes, while going to a place your boss said get there now, and your ride is a 80's vintage fighter jet...?

If they really put up a boom, the house windows would be broken all over the place....

Just going fast is an impressive really loud noise.

the difference is noticeable when the sound arrives many seconds after the planes go by... and the planes were only a couple thousand feet overhead.

fun memories of the early seventies...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

When I was a kid we lived in Flourscent MO. My dad worked for McDonell Aircraft. They were constantly testing supersonic aircraft. Our front window was broken three times. You just called the glass company and they charged McDonell. This was about 1962 I was 5.

I vividly remember one day all us kids were out playing in the street and the loudest most explosive boom I ever heard went off "KA-BOOM" and the front window on every house in the neighborhood  shattered at the same time! It was awesome!

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2

So I had to look it up and this is what I found:

The Oklahoma tests may have been the most long lasting, but they weren’t the first nor the last. In 1961-62, the FAA conducted 150 supersonic flights over St. Louis. Those tests yielded about 5,000 formal complaints and 1,624 damage claims. Chicago also saw sonic boom tests, with 49 flights rippling through Chicagoland in 1965. Those tests saw an even greater number of complaints per test, with 7,116 formal complaints filed with the FAA. The Chicago tests also saw a huge number of damage claims, with 2,964 filed during the short test period.

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/when-the-faa-blasted-oklahoma-city-with-sonic-booms-for-1649589210

When I was a kid, I dreamed about flying an F-4.  The comic was Buzz Sawyer and that is what he flew.  In the interim, I have been in the back seat of an F-18 and I have heard the oft made remark that the F-4 (lovely aircraft that I thought her notwithstanding) was proof positive that if you had big enough engines, you could make a brick fly.

6 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

When I was a kid, I dreamed about flying an F-4.  The comic was Buzz Sawyer and that is what he flew.  In the interim, I have been in the back seat of an F-18 and I have heard the oft made remark that the F-4 (lovely aircraft that I thought her notwithstanding) was proof positive that if you had big enough engines, you could make a brick fly.

I have a good friend who flew the F4. He sure tells a lot of stories about mid air refueling....

12 hours ago, carqwik said:

How do you "accidentally" break the sound barrier?

Ummmm....it's actually quite easy. Happens daily actually when you have a high powered fighter jet.

In the F-16, i can't tell you how many times I was in an engagement (in appropriate airspace), looked down and was well above the Mach.

The week of 9/11 we had a pair drop a boom out of ORD that shook the building pretty good.  Memories of ND in the 70's everything boomed up there, as long as there were no bright flashes we didn't duck and cover. 

• Like 1

The week of 9/11 we had a pair drop a boom out of ORD that shook the building pretty good.  Memories of ND in the 70's everything boomed up there, as long as there were no bright flashes we didn't duck and cover. 

I heard the booms and watched everyone looking around and said "good luck finding the jet" to everyone around me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1