St Mary's Ga Airport Closure

FlyWalt

As much as I like visiting neighboring airports, I hate the thought of hangar shopping:

http://goldenisles.news/news/local_news/closure-date-set-for-st-marys-airport/article_3b5af781-b602-5917-9e4e-70d795c46d2f.html

They have been babbling over this political football for 16 years. They have driven away and all business that they could. It is sickening to have watched this from a front row seat. The local city council has NO CLUE about this economic asset. Especially when they need the jobs that this airport could create.

Do any of you have experience in fighting this kind of action?

Fly Safe,
W

Walt, sorry to see this.  Did they decide against the relocation?  

I keep seeing this happen.  I think we and the airports are a victim of the times.  One aspect is the improved roadway infrastructure.  With the I95 corridor and longer range planes, St Mary's probably doesn't see the same traffic as when it was first built.  The security issue is quite obvious, but I think another factor is that the Navy and its contractors don't see the benefit.  This comes to a sore subject with me.  I suspect that at one time, the Navy and its contractors saw great benefit of being able to fly in right next door.  I also suspect, that many of those same military contractors no longer allow their employees to use personal aircraft.  So now, the folks who could best lobby for its retention no longer see the benefit or demand a local airport.  The economics just don't work.  I would be curious to know the history and if it originally catered to the base?  I could not find anything on line.  

I beleive that the key to keeping these airports open is to increase the pilot population again.  I think the industry is going about it wrong.  the key is the middle class and for the middle class to see benefits beyond the $100 burger.  To me, that would mean using the plane for regular and reasonable business.  Many corporations, where many of the middle class work, no longer allow this. 

I know I didn't answer your question in a way to provide fast results, but the answer is to show the benefit of the airport.  10 movements a day probably won't justify it.

Rob

There are 20 aircraft here. My Mooney is operated as a corporate machine and moves at least every two weeks for a business purpose. There are 6 other aircraft used for the owners business or sole source of income.

The local city has a surplus of land that they have possession of that is non productive and not on the tax roles as well, This airport will add 280 acres to bring the tally to about 1000 acres. They do not have a clue as to what to do with it. 

Seems lie whatever our enjoyment is it's taken away, we've had our fourth golf course in the last few years,along with the airports, certain parks in affluent neighborhoods, tennis courts whatever there all closing for malls, housing or other things. The country club I've been in since 1983 is closing.

14 hours ago, takair said:

How many people are employed at theNaval Base? 

It's big. About 5000 people.

The whole issue is that the Navy is nervous about an airport and a runway pointed straight at their nuclear submarines only 1/2 a mile from their prohibited area. They are the ones who want it closed.

I think the security thing is nonsense, not just in this case but in almost all thinking regarding general aviation.  If someone really wanted to they would just loiter down the P-50 area and just plow on in.  No need to be based at the airport. 

I suspect the bigger reason is economics, with only 20 planes there how do you support it?  I think we will be seeing a lot more airport closures over the years. 

• Like 1

Guest Mike261

Another airport bit the dust here near my home drome. It was privately owned and the owner was offered 3 million for the land.

I think we are the last generation that will have somewhat reasonable access to general aviation, and it may end in our lifetimes. There is a lot conspiring against general aviation, most of the general public could care less about pilots that they perceive as one percenters, and they are footing some of the bill for the small airport, or worse yet annoyed by it. 

Add the self driving car into the mix here, it will affect the whole of aviation...point the car at your destination at bed time and wake up with your own car 700 miles away in the morning, for two tanks of gas. how great is that?

enjoy it while we can.

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike261 said:

Another airport bit the dust here near my home drome. It was privately owned and the owner was offered 3 million for the land.

I think we are the last generation that will have somewhat reasonable access to general aviation, and it may end in our lifetimes. There is a lot conspiring against general aviation, most of the general public could care less about pilots that they perceive as one percenters, and they are footing some of the bill for the small airport, or worse yet annoyed by it. 

Add the self driving car into the mix here, it will affect the whole of aviation...point the car at your destination at bed time and wake up with your own car 700 miles away in the morning, for two tanks of gas. how great is that?

enjoy it while we can.

Mike

Mike...which airport closed up there?  This gets more discouraging every day and I fear you are correct...

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I just found this news story on this subject. What I find amazing is a clueless city official who can not tell us what the plan is for a job creation center combined with a Navy representative who could tell us specifically what the threat is. 

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/georgia/st-mary-s-airport-being-shut-down-due-to-navy-security/460022162

I am just appalled that I pay the heavy taxes that I do for these people to have a job.

Fly Safe,

W