Midwest overnight trip suggestions

iowaboy

Hey Guys,

Not a mooney owner yet, but still enjoy reading this forum.  I'm looking for some recomenations for a nice over night weekend trip this winter.  I'm based in southern Iowa and currently renting a 180 cherokee.  Would like to find a nice place to fly to non stop with in 3 hours.  Would be taking my wife and 4 month old daughter.  Was thinking about chicago for the weekend, but been there done that. 

Might go further but not much.  Place I rent from isn't much for letting there rental go further than one fuel stop from home.  Planing a leave friday come home sat or sunday type thing.

Thanks guys!

IB,

First time flying with wife and baby combo?  or have you done this "get ready" flight already?

If its you first time with the new combo, stick to the familiar, short, tried and true already.   She will be more comfortable, and you will get to make these flights further and more often with your future Mooney.

If she is uncomfortable,  it was pleasant having you join us on MooneySpace......

-a-

My wife raves about Nashville, TN.  Her work is headquartered in Franklin and has to make a few trips down there each year.  If music and good food are 2 things you enjoy you might consider that.  It is on my list of places to stop this year.  Staying south will keep you out of a majority of the nasty weather we get here this time of year.

Nashville sounds about right.  Any suggestions on where to land/leave airplane?  Place to stay, I'm sure there are tons of places to stay but anything extra special? 

carusoam- not first flight wiht family.  And wife is all for our flying somewhere.  Actually it was her idea.  Our first flight as family was only an hour away, but a hour there and hour back in airplane saved us 7 hours of driving makeing it a very nice afternoon trip with the little one verses all day in the car!  We used the airport crew car and my wife actually said this is great why didn't you finish your PP earlier!!!  So she is deffiately on board!

IB,

Well done.  When you work it right,  she will be asking you to ge a Mooney!   Somewhere down the line, she is going to ask why you didn't get the Mooney sooner....

Fly safe.  I am interested in what you plan for Nashville or whereever...

Best regards,

-a-

I absolutly love Nashville, Not only the city touristy sites (Opry, Opryland, Gen Jackson)  But, also the Countryside.  A short drive south of Franklin on the Natchez Trace Pkwy. (Beautiful drive) there is a great little small town place where quite a few well known artists have homes near Liepers Fork.  If your there on Thurs night be sure to check out the open mike night at Puckets Grocery store  you will be amazed by the tallent that stops in that little store on Thurs and friday nights.  I fly into the Smyrna airport and park at Smyrna Air Center Enterprise will deliver a rental ahead of time.  Smyrna Air is great they dont charge to park on their ramp overnight

We went to Memphis last summer for a board meeting, and found it to be just a delighful place.  Beale Street is partly closed off on certain nights, so you can just walk the street.  For those who don't know Beale Street, it is the home of the blues and the entire street consists of blues bars with live bands, or music stores.  Beale St. has an incline to it, and there were street tumblers, several young kids/men ranging in age it appeared from 7 or 8 to mid-20's, and they would take turns tumbling (forward flips) down most of the length of a block of Beale Street.  We had dinner one evening with friends at Chez Phillippe in the Peabody Hotel downtown.  One thing we missed doing, was having ribs at one of the many rib places downtown.  They are all over, up back alleys and everywhere, and we were told the ribs in Memphis are the best.  You can also take a horse carriage ride along the river, although we didn't get around to that.  It was a delightful atmosphere and a place I will go to again, maybe this summer (we flew the Mooney down, landed at DeWitt Spain airport). 

The only negative was our experience with the local Enterprise Car Rental.  Had a flat tire in less than 20 miles from the airport, and they were no help at all in getting it fixed or the car towed.  We finally abandoned it ( after many calls so Ent. knew where they could find their fine automobile).  There are also a couple of parts of town that you would not want to take your family into, but that is true of every large city, especially in the present economy.

Don't know if it is a place for kids though, not kid unfriendly, but not Disneyworld either, more adult type stuff to do.  

I am in MN and probably flew over you to get to MEM.  As I recall it was about 3 1/2 hours in the M20K.    

Wife says Nashville sounds great!  Looks like with a little help from some wind I could make it non-stop in the cherokee too, at least one way prob have to stop on way back.  But thats ok.  We have about three possible weekends that we could go so I'm hopeing at least one will forcast good weather for the weekend. 

San Antonio and looking at mooneys would be great!  Little too far for the cherokee though.

St. Louis- surprisingly interesting city. There are several outlying airports that are cordial; many fine museums to enjoy, the zoo is great, there are excellent ethnic restaurants, huge well-kept parks, historic sites nearby, including the Arch, Cahokia Indian mounds. Plenty of cultural events- the Missouri Botanical Gardens are beautiful, and have something special going on almost every weekend. Car rental will be necessary.

When you get your Mooney, there will be lots more one-tank suggestions for just a bit further afield- Kentucky state park airports- with transportation to their pretty lodges, neat hikes; Put-In Bay, Ohio- especially in summertime.

• 2 weeks later...

I will second Memphis and Beal St. It is very entertaining for a weekend. Think along the lines of Bourbon St and New Orleans, Beal St is 1/3 the length of Bourbon St, with zero smut bars. All the businesses shut down at 3am where Bourbon St does not. You can walk your kids down and around Beal without much worry, and no XXX crap. They have many many dining opportunities. The Arena is also downtown so you could plan a concert, college or pro basketball game around a weekend. Bring your walking shoes. Do take the free shuttle to Graceland. It is truly worth it. You can take a cheap trolly around the area. Since you have a young one, you will be limited to her whims, but since Beal is more concentrated than Nashville, I would think you would get  bigger bang for your buck in Memphins.

• 2 weeks later...