AXP340 & ADS-B In

7 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

If I have an Avidyne AXP340 installed (which does not have ADS-B in capability), can it be programmed to transmit that I have ADS-B in capability?  I have a portable solution and don't want to spend $3000 extra dollars for a certified solution which does the same thing.

If you have a certified WAAS position source (like an IFD440 or an IFD540) coming into the AXP340, you want the AXP340 to transmit that you have ADS-B OUT capability. Looking at flight aware it doesn't look like you are transmitting ADS-B out.

My understanding is that the adsb out system has to transmit a bit that says the aircraft has adsb in capability in order to trigger the ground station to broadcast traffic info. Is that programmable on the AXP-340?  I would assume so but wasn't sure if it was only turned in in certified in/out units. 

14 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

If I have an Avidyne AXP340 installed (which does not have ADS-B in capability), can it be programmed to transmit that I have ADS-B in capability?  I have a portable solution and don't want to spend $3000 extra dollars for a certified solution which does the same thing.

I have an Avidyne AXP340 for my ADSB out solution which got it's GPS position source from my Garmin 430W unit, which made me completely compliant for the mandate. You can't reprogram the AXP to transmit ADSB IN data to you that I am aware of. I installed my AXP before I installed my GDL 88 which gave me a certified ADSB IN solution, BUT since I had a stratus / ipad combo at the time, I received all adsb in weather and traffic onto my ipad, as foreflight then recognized that I had an ADSB-out solution and I was then able to receive all of the ADSB-IN broadcasts being sent to my hockey-puck by the ground stations now triggered by my AXP 340.

So all you would need now is a stratus or similar and an ipad, and you wouldn't have to pay for a certified IN solution if you chose not to.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain this very well.  I want to install the AXP340.  It will only have ADS-B Out capability.  I have a portable system I used to stream ADS-B In data to my iPad.

But I often find myself the only aircraft around in West or South Texas.  In order to get ADS-B In traffic info transmitted by the ground station near you, you have to have ADS-B Out, and I think your ADS-B Out data packets to the ground have to contain an indication that you have ADS-B In capability.  Otherwise my non-certified In unit will get weather but no traffic. (As a congestion relief measure, ADS-B won't transmit traffic info unless there is an aircraft with an ADS-B In capability within a certain radius of the station).

My question is: is that indication in the packet programmable in the AXP340?  Or are only certified in/out units allows to indicate that they have In capability?

I'd prefer not to drop an extra 3AMU for In capability I already have.

43 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't explain this very well.  I want to install the AXP340.  It will only have ADS-B Out capability.  I have a portable system I used to stream ADS-B In data to my iPad.

But I often find myself the only aircraft around in West or South Texas.  In order to get ADS-B In traffic info transmitted by the ground station near you, you have to have ADS-B Out, and I think your ADS-B Out data packets to the ground have to contain an indication that you have ADS-B In capability.  Otherwise my non-certified In unit will get weather but no traffic. (As a congestion relief measure, ADS-B won't transmit traffic info unless there is an aircraft with an ADS-B In capability within a certain radius of the station).

My question is: is that indication in the packet programmable in the AXP340?  Or are only certified in/out units allows to indicate that they have In capability?

In order to send the packet that activates the tower's out capability (which is I think what you're asking)- the transponder has to communicate to the tower that it is in the area.  In order to do that- the transponder has to have the "ADS-B out" function activated- which means it needs the GPS signal in from the WAAS GPS.  

If you install teh AXP340, though, it activates the towers for you (for both traffic and wx).  It does everything a KT-74 or Trig TT31 does.

As far as I know, there is no box out there that just "activates the towers."  But my guess is that it could be done relatively easily.  If you want to activate the in features without becoming ADSB compliant (ie not installing a certified out solution)- the place to start would be over on the Stratux reddit board- I bet some of those guys could program a rasberry pi to transmit the signal required to wake up the towers.... 

Edited by M016576

I have a IFD540/AXP340 set up, a stratus, and an iPad.   If I turn off my transponder, I don't see targets.  When I turn on my transponder, I see the aircraft ADSB equipped because their N numbers show up and I see aircraft not equipped (just a regular transponder) on my iPad.  Hope that answers your question.  

Edited by tony

Just now, tony said:

I have a IFD540/AXP340 set up, a stratus, and an iPad.   If I turn off my transponder, I don't see targets.  When I turn on my transponder, I see the aircraft ADSB equipped becasue their N numbers show up and I see aircraft not equipped (just a regular transponder) on my iPad.  Hope that answers your question.  

It does.  That's how I thought it would work.  Thanks very much.

I can't answer about your Avidyne unit specifically but the Garmin GTX330ES is a similar device and has a programming setting that identifies you as being ADS-B "in" capable (even if your receiver is non-certified like a Stratus, etc.). IIRC the towers won't ping you unless that setting is programmed properly (unless you're in somebody else's puck of course). Avidyne may have this "on" by default, but perhaps not. Their tech support should be able to answer that question quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but it was kind of left hanging.

Did this question ever get answered?

I had no idea that a component of the OUT message must be that there is an IN system on-board to receive ADS-B info...

Can anyone close this loop for me (and this thread)?

Edited by AF M20J

2 hours ago, AF M20J said:

Old thread, but it was kind of left hanging.

Did this question ever get answered?

I had no idea that a component of the OUT message must be that there is an IN system on-board to receive ADS-B info...

Can anyone close this loop for me (and this thread)?

This is from the install manual: "The AXP340 uses a simple setup system to program important system parameters, including the Mode S address. In the original factory configuration, the setup screen is the first thing that runs when you switch on the transponder. If the transponder has already been configured, and you want to access the setup screen again, simply press the FUNC button while switching on the transponder and the setup system will run."

Then later on after setting up other menu items you get to this: "In the USA there are two ADS-B channels, 1090ES and UAT, and there is an ADS-B based traffic information service called TIS-B. The ADS-B ground stations relay this information between the two channels so that suitably equipped aircraft can receive traffic information. To limit channel congestion these services are only provided to aircraft equipped to receive them. The transponder reports what receivers are installed in a periodic status message. If the aircraft has ADSB in receiver, set either 1090ES or UAT to installed. There are two selections to make here: 1090 MHz Receiver Installed – Yes/No, and UAT Receiver Installed – Yes/No. Press selector knob to move to the next menu item."

• Like 2