imbeaded weather

1964-M20E

A little over a week ago we had a severe line of thunderstorms pass through New Orleans causing tornadoes and other damage.  They estimate it was an EF3 tornado that touched down in New Orleans East and it did extensive damage to buildings.  I had no damages I was not in the area and a couple of planes tied down outside at KNEW got tossed around and damaged.

My office which is on the 26th floor has a clear and unobstructed view of the area where the tornado struck about 10 miles away.  I was listening to the radio and they were telling listeners exactly where the tornado was and I knew exactly where they were talking about and I could not see anything but some heavy rain while scanning the area they were talking about.  I had clear visibility until the rain.  The point I'm trying to make is the tornado from the "air" was invisible and hidden by the rain and clouds.  There would have been enough reds and yellows on radar and predictions of bad weather to keep me from flying in that area to begin with but be careful out there when flying though clouds they hide some mean stuff.

Tis' the season for Tornado n' Fun in Lakeland.  An annual event that spreads across the country for a few weeks.  Beware of lines of thunderstorms.  They can be 1,000 mile long and impossible to cross.

I got my Skyradar after flying up the east coast struggling with verbal weather updates....

great reminder John.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

A little over a week ago we had a severe line of thunderstorms pass through New Orleans causing tornadoes and other damage.  They estimate it was an EF3 tornado that touched down in New Orleans East and it did extensive damage to buildings.  I had no damages I was not in the area and a couple of planes tied down outside at KNEW got tossed around and damaged.

My office which is on the 26th floor has a clear and unobstructed view of the area where the tornado struck about 10 miles away.  I was listening to the radio and they were telling listeners exactly where the tornado was and I knew exactly where they were talking about and I could not see anything but some heavy rain while scanning the area they were talking about.  I had clear visibility until the rain.  The point I'm trying to make is the tornado from the "air" was invisible and hidden by the rain and clouds.  There would have been enough reds and yellows on radar and predictions of bad weather to keep me from flying in that area to begin with but be careful out there when flying though clouds they hide some mean stuff.

When I first got my instrument rating, the embedded stuff scared the crap out of me. I had a first generation StormScope on board and it did little than scare me even more. I wish I could find a picture I have of a CB that looked like a big puffy cloud but the StormScope was painting a different picture. The FIS-B stuff does a good job of showing where stuff was and where it is headed. Not quite the same as real onboard radar, but a heck of lot better than what we had 20 years ago.

Here are a couple of pictures of Jerry and I in his Ovation coming back from Oshkosh headed to KMTN.IMG_2551.thumb.JPG.92c3e49142e3aeef8d24396c41cbb658.JPGIMG_2552.JPG.a234d8653acc7bd8617f55562e016c8e.JPG

Just as we finished putting his plane away, the bangers rolled in.