Forum Adjustment Poll

StevenL757

Rearrangement / Adjustment of Forums' Content  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support adjusting the "Vintage" forum to contain discussions about models older than the M20L; and adjusting the "Modern" forum to contain discussions about the M20L and later?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but make 3 groups...one each for Long, Medium, and Short body models
    • Undecided

25 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Four categories...

1) short Bodies.

2) mid Bodies.

3) Long Bodies.

and.....

4) other bodies.  There have been several photos that might fit this section wide Bodies, beach bodies etc...  :)

Marauder made me do it....

Best regards,

-a-

That reminds me. Since Anthony brought up bodies. 

What 3 Mooney owners think they look like on the beach:

three-men-running-on-beach.jpg.a4a2b6b70569872aa1964d59afea4001.jpg

What they actually look like:

58a74a9325bdb_mooneypilots.jpg.36de666197955c7b791e92f608f15165.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Well, some of the flying relates to vintage vs modern. For example gear retraction technique on manual vs electric, power settings in the pattern, etc. It does make sense to have vintage specific discussions, but it is on the poster to make their posts in general category when they are not specific to vintage/modern differences.

But even gear Is tough. "Vintage" Mooneys are electrics or manual. Because Mooney slowly evolved the Mooney no model is really that different from its predecessor  

-Robert

26 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I don't really agree that the "F and J are identical airplanes other than some speed mods", as you state above and have stated here before previously, but if I owned a F I suppose I would.  :)

Jim

What does the J have my F doesn't aside from speed mods?

-Robert

36 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

What does the J have my F doesn't aside from speed mods?

-Robert

Certainly the late Fs and earliest Js can be very similar.  There are some significant differences with the older Fs that seem to be common with the short bodies.

1) Cowl (completely different structure not just aerodynamics)

2) Engine gauges

3) Yoke style (implications for mounting switches)

4) Brittain PC/Autopilot

5) Emergency gear extension system

6) Instrument panel configuration

There probably some others but this is what came to mind immediately.

10 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Certainly the late Fs and earliest Js can be very similar.  There are some significant differences with the older Fs that seem to be common with the short bodies.

1) Cowl (completely different structure not just aerodynamics)

2) Engine gauges

3) Yoke style (implications for mounting switches)

4) Brittain PC/Autopilot

5) Emergency gear extension system

6) Instrument panel configuration

There probably some others but this is what came to mind immediately.

As you mentioned those are not F vs J differences. Those are differences throughout the F line. Can same the same for the J itself. Early J's were not the same as the late J's. 

-Robert

2 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Plus, counterbalanced engine, different and more efficient propeller w/o meaningful RPM restrictions or repetitive ADs, more efficient primary induction system, flush cabin and baggage door handles, much higher gear, flap, and never exceed speeds, improved flush riveting and inspection panels, improved fuel tank valve location, no oil line in the cabin.  It goes on and on.  The V speed changes are very significant.  We own two Mooneys.  A '65 C since 1982 and '78 J since 2006.  I am very familiar with the differences and "speed mods" is an over simplification.     

My F has most of those things as well. You're just pointing out that the F and J both changed during their production. But F vs J change was not significant. 

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

2 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

As you mentioned those are not F vs J differences. Those are differences throughout the F line. Can same the same for the J itself. Early J's were not the same as the late J's. 

-Robert

All of the things I listed tend to be of common interest among the vintage owners and are not generally of interest to J owners.  The differences within the J line tend to be smaller.

14 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

You have an F with a counterbalanced engine, efficent primary induction system, flush door handles, higher gear, flap, and never exceed speeds, and improved fuel tank valve location?  What about your brake fluid reservoir? Relocated too?  

True that your AD'd Hartzel prop can be replaced easy enough and the oil line in your cabin can be replaced with a modern gauge that uses and transducer. Also some older Fs have the J's flush inspection panels and riveting, but I don't think many '75s do. 

The counter balance engine probably isn't significant enough to warrant a different forum but yes, I do. Lycoming hasn't produced the A1A engine in forever so unless you are flying behind a 40+ year old engine you'd have to have the A3B6. Maybe a more meaningful distinction would be the change from Lycoming to Continental in the K. 

The induction change in the J was the improved cowling arrangement Lo Presti did for the improved speed by streamlining the flow and reducing bends in the intake.

Yes, I have the original factory flush handles in my F and the same Dukes selector used in the early J's.

Agreed on the speed mods  as I said originally including v Speeds.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1