Mooney Instructor wanted

norton

2 hours ago, norton said:

Looking for Mooney instructor in Massachusetts area withaccess to plane.

I have 500 hours , instrument rated with Arrow experience.

Are you looking for a checkout, test ride, rental, BFR, or ??? Where are you located in MA?  

looking for a test ride and ultimately checkout. I am planning on buying a Mooney . Have heard numerous pros and cons but I want to find out for myself before I do the deed. I am located in Plymouth but can be flexible in working out an arrangement for an instructor.

Depends on what you are looking for. YOu could call up Richard Simile who will give you a demo flight in the lt. seat, and then you can sign the papers and fly it home! Same with Jimmy Garrison, and he will have vintage birds. As Paul said, getting insurance for instruction on say a Bravo with a hull value of $225K would not make fiscal sense for the mooney specific instructors. I know of a clapped out C in Venice for rent, and a J in Ocala at the schools there, and there might be others. These certainly wont represent what you would want to own, however.

10 hours ago, norton said:

looking for a test ride and ultimately checkout. I am planning on buying a Mooney . Have heard numerous pros and cons but I want to find out for myself before I do the deed. I am located in Plymouth but can be flexible in working out an arrangement for an instructor.

We have a few Mooney rentals on the west coast, there used to be many more available. But I have no clue in your area; yet Mike had some suggestions to the south. Without a rental at your disposal you'll want to get a ride in one from a fellow Mooney owner/pilot. So I suggest you let folks know which type of Mooney you are interested in. There must be at least 14 models of the M20's, but you need only narrow it down to between short, medium or long body and if normally aspirated or turbo. If you have no idea yet, I suggest the J model  for its popularity. But without rental access, the checkout will be in your Mooney; as was done by the vast majority of Mooney pilots. I am one of the few that first flew Mooney's in club rentals; but we are not the norm. But most fellow mooney pilots will be happy to let you take the controls; except for takeoff and landings since you won't have the necessary hours in type to qualify under the open pilot insurance clause to be covered. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

Norton what Greg was saying is that the Mooney rental in NJ, ended up crashing with the pilot perishing, and the renter may not have replaced the rental plane with another Mooney.  Makes sense if the facts are known, good luck finding a mooney ride, no none sense Greg has an awesome Mooney in Ma.

I know rental Mooneys are unusual but are they really that scarce? My first Mooney experience was in rentals. I figured folks in this group would have some clues.

Long Island might be a ways off for you (Norton) from Plymouth, but there were two rental Js in there at KFRG that I knew of. I got my first and second ride in a money in those two/rented them both while I was training for my PPL.

I just checked and didn't see one of them listed anymore (Ventura Air). The one at Nassau Flyers is still listed. Seems they have steered it more towards commercial training, but they would probably take you up for an intro lesson.

http://www.flynfi.com/training-aircraft

c31600b426deecc861ccdca8871e7e35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk