Electronic Ignition

Guitarmaster

I've heard folks like it.  Going through the install and keeping a single conventional mag in the end is a bit disappointing though.  I'm holding out for the STC for certified planes on this, which is supposedly in the works:  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/eMagIgnition.php?recfer=10278

It should pay for itself easily between no more mag IRANs, better fuel efficiency, and letting you use regular automotive spark plugs.  It's also lighter, and has 1 moving part and no plastic gears so more reliable most likely too.

I wrote to the company recently but couldn't get a date target date out of them though :(  I'd encourage others to bug them too - it seems like a no brainer to go this route.

• Like 2

I've bugged them already too.  I'm even looking into trying to go a field approval route if the FSDO lets me.

E-Mag is the way to go simple easy instillation no jumble of extra boxes and wires running around in already congested spaces.

I'm not associated with them just like their system.  If I were associated with them I'd probably have one already for testing.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DXB said:

I've heard folks like it.  Going through the install and keeping a single conventional mag in the end is a bit disappointing though.  I'm holding out for the STC for certified planes on this, which is supposedly in the works:  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/eMagIgnition.php?recfer=10278

It should pay for itself easily between no more mag IRANs, better fuel efficiency, and letting you use regular automotive spark plugs.  It's also lighter, and has 1 moving part and no plastic gears so more reliable most likely too.

I wrote to the company recently but couldn't get a date target date out of them though :(  I'd encourage others to bug them too - it seems like a no brainer to go this route.

Disappointment in 3, 2, 1...  Certified installations cannot use auto spark plugs.  Must be certified aircraft spark plugs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

Disappointment in 3, 2, 1...  Certified installations cannot use auto spark plugs.  Must be certified aircraft spark plugs.

I think it would still be an improvement.  I'm already used to paying for aircraft spark plugs, so it wouldn't bother me.

26 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I've bugged them already too.  I'm even looking into trying to go a field approval route if the FSDO lets me.

E-Mag is the way to go simple easy instillation no jumble of extra boxes and wires running around in already congested spaces.

I'm not associated with them just like their system.  If I were associated with them I'd probably have one already for testing.

Assume you are talking about certification for dual mag replacement as it is already approved for single mag engines.  Let me know how the field approval goes.  That may be a viable option.

4 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I think it would still be an improvement.  I'm already used to paying for aircraft spark plugs, so it wouldn't bother me.

I'm not fussing about that.  I have been a thorn in their side for over a year now.  My J has the dual mag and IMHO the electronic ignition would be a huge safety improvement over what is currently there.  I cannot guarantee that I will be the first to buy an EI when it is certified for dual mag replacement, but the order will be placed the moment I hear of the approval.

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

I hope you got to hear my primal scream over the internet ;) But seriously,  isnt the emag system specifically designed for use with auto plugs and comes with adapters for fitting them?  Couldn't that be covered in a single STC then?

2 hours ago, DXB said:

I hope you got to hear my primal scream over the internet ;) But seriously,  isnt the emag system specifically designed for use with auto plugs and comes with adapters for fitting them?  Couldn't that be covered in a single STC then?

It is, but not allowed for certified applications.  I have thought about this issue myself and like the added security of the spark plug lead on aviation plugs screwing down onto the plug itself as opposed to the little metal clip on auto plugs.  There is a lot more vibration on aviation engines than auto engines and wouldn't want anything to come loose.

5 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

I'll be super curious to hear of your experience with a field approval and may pursue myself if it goes well for you.   

5 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

It is, but not allowed for certified applications.  I have thought about this issue myself and like the added security of the spark plug lead on aviation plugs screwing down onto the plug itself as opposed to the little metal clip on auto plugs.  There is a lot more vibration on aviation engines than auto engines and wouldn't want anything to come loose.

While not mounted on the engine the coil side of the electroair ignition wires use uses the same type of connection as the automotive spark plug.

I wouldn't have any second thoughts about the plug wire connections.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:56 AM, DXB said:

I believe the manufacture of the plugs would need to have a PMA and be FAA supervised and there needs to be a custody of parts (aircraft spruce etc are FAA certified to distribute). Someone could be certified to take automotive plugs and somehow test etc them and turn them into aircraft parts  

-Robert