Aspen PFD + Garmin 345 + FS 210 WX + Traffic issues

Bunti

Today, I travelled 1.5 hours with my Mooney to the avionics shop to get the Aspen software unlock to display weather and traffic on the PFD. The software unlock was released by Aspen in December. 

The shop checked the wiring and finally found out that they have to disconnect the GTX345 connection to the Flightstream 210 to get the weather and traffic on the Aspen. Doing this, I would get rid of the traffic and weather on the Ipad and the Aera 660 and keep the Flightplan transfer function between Ipad and GTN750. The weather and traffic on the Ipad and Aera 660 may be restored by using the Bluetooth connection from the GTX345. But then I would lose the Flightplan transfer function.

So I decided to fly again 1.5 hrs home without installing anything.

I like the Flightsream data transfer functions very much and want to keep them. But I would also be able to see weather and traffic on the Aspen. 

One solution may be an upgrade to a Flightstream 510. But this is an expensive solution.

Maybe somebody has the same issue and found a better solution.

Stefan

45 minutes ago, Bunti said:

Today, I travelled 1.5 hours with my Mooney to the avionics shop to get the Aspen software unlock to display weather and traffic on the PFD. The software unlock was released by Aspen in December. 

The shop checked the wiring and finally found out that they have to disconnect the GTX345 connection to the Flightstream 210 to get the weather and traffic on the Aspen. Doing this, I would get rid of the traffic and weather on the Ipad and the Aera 660 and keep the Flightplan transfer function between Ipad and GTN750. The weather and traffic on the Ipad and Aera 660 may be restored by using the Bluetooth connection from the GTX345. But then I would lose the Flightplan transfer function.

I like the Flightsream data transfer functions very much and want to keep them. But I would also be able to see weather and traffic on the Aspen. 

One solution may be an upgrade to a Flightstream 510. But this is an expensive solution.

Stefan

Garmin had a deal on the FS 510 for owners of the FS 210 that was good until the end of December.  $500 off the FS 510.  Maybe you could talk them into giving it to you for that reduced price.  I'll bet you could make that deal.  I have both, and use them both for different purposes at the same time.  I have the 510 feeding the iPad and the 210 feeding the 796.  It could be reversed, too.

11 hours ago, Bunti said:

Stefan

Something doesn't sound right. What are you using as the iPad app? I was under the understanding that both Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight used a wireless connection to the Flightstream 210 to do the flight plan transfer. The connection to the Aspen PFD should be a wire. Have you check with another shop to verify what they are telling you?

The Flightstream 210 gets weather and traffic from the GTX345 via a RS422 bus cable. This cable needs to be disconnected at the Flightstream and connected to the Aspen PFD instead. 

I use the Garmin Pilot App because WingX is not working with the Garmin hardware.

I just spoke to Garmin. They suggested to disconnect the wire from the Flightstream and connect it to the Aspen. To have weather and traffic back on the Ipad they said that I have to connect my Ipad to the Bluetooth from the 210 and the 345 in parallel to get weather and traffic from the 345 and Flightplantransfer from the 210. According to them, the Aera 660 can only connect to one Bluetooth source at a time. So I would have to chose here between Flightplantransfer (210) and Weather (345).

Did somebody try this before?

Stefan

46 minutes ago, Bunti said:

They suggested to disconnect the wire from the Flightstream and connect it to the Aspen. 

Stefan

Did they say that the Aspen and 210 can not be wired and parallel from the same 345 connection?

You are trying to use a Aera and iPad together in the cockpit, or what to hold on to your Aera rather than go the iPad route?

I like WingX too; my favorite for domestic VFR. But Garmin Pilot is much more versatile for IFR and has the best coverage beyond the US because its integrated with Jepp data. Its also the best flight planner out there right now wrt to performance modeling.

Bunti, I am interested if you have discovered any more info as it sounds like I might have myself signed up for the same problem. The main reason I went with the FS210 and GTX-345 is for the FLPN transfer and ADS-B interface to my 530W/430W...Aspen interface for wx/ADS-B was a nicety. From reading your post it does not sound like the below setup the avionics shop has provided me is the way to go...I am using the Foreflight Pro.  Would recommend forgoing the Aspen integration? 

Install Garmin GTX-345 Transponder with ADS-B Transceiver. 

GTX-345 will display Traffic and Weather on GNS-530W, GNS-430W and Aspen EFD-1000.

Garmin Flightstream 210 Bluetooth link.

Flightstream 210 will be interfaced to GNS-530W and GTX-345 for flight plan transfer, ADS-B weather and traffic interface to Ipad.

Aspen EFD-1000 ADS-B Enablement.

Wire GTX-345 to Aspen EFD-1000 to display Traffic and weather.

Paul,

until  now, I have weather and traffic on the GTN750, and via Flightstream 210 Bluetooth on my Ipad and the panel attached Aera 660. In December, Aspen released an unlock software that brings weather and traffic also on the Aspen PFD, if you have the GTX345.

I ordered the unlock software and the avionics shop discovered now that we cannot connect the Flightstream 210 and the Aspen PFD on one output. Problem here is that the GTX345 has only one RS422 output. This can be connected to the Aspen or the Flightstream 210. They said, that the Aspen and the Flightstream 210 cannot share the same RS422 connection because they use a different data protocol. This is done by setting up the RS 422 data output type at the GTX345. For the Flightstream the protocol name is Flightstream. And this cannot be read by the Aspen.

That means, if the GTX345 is connected to the Aspen, I would lose weather and traffic on the Ipad and the Aera 660, which is right now transmitted via the Flightstram 210. 

The first idea of the shop was to connect the Ipad to the GTX Bluetooth and the Flightstream Bluetooth in parallel  (Flightstream for flightplan transfer and GtX345 for weather and traffic). They called Garmin and asked. Somebody at Garmin told them that the Garmin App will not work with this configuration. 

Today, I spoke to a technical supervisor at Garmin and he spoke to the Garmin Pilot App team. They confirmed that this setup should work fine and will be the only solution for this setup.

We plan to do that next week and I will let you know, if it works.

Don, thank you for the Info about the Flightstream 510 offer. This may be an option too. But it would be expensive.

Stefan

Edited by Bunti

Welcome aboard SamFox.

This is the first time I have heard of such complexity in a wiring solution.  

We have a Garmin guy named Trek around here.  We can usually find him for such interesting questions.

The Aspen part probably won't be very helpful, but Trek knows all things about Garmin products.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bunti said:

Paul,

until  now, I have weather and traffic on the GTN750, and via Flightstream 210 Bluetooth on my Ipad and the panel attached Aera 660. In December, Aspen released an unlock software that brings weather and traffic also on the Aspen PFD, if you have the GTX345.

I ordered the unlock software and the avionics shop discovered now that we cannot connect the Flightstream 210 and the Aspen PFD on one output. Problem here is that the GTX345 has only one RS422 output. This can be connected to the Aspen or the Flightstream 210. They said, that the Aspen and the Flightstream 210 cannot share the same RS422 connection because they use a different data protocol. This is done by setting up the RS 422 data output type at the GTX345. For the Flightstream the protocol name is Flightstream. And this cannot be read by the Aspen.

That means, if the GTX345 is connected to the Aspen, I would lose weather and traffic on the Ipad and the Aera 660, which is right now transmitted via the Flightstram 210. 

The first idea of the shop was to connect the Ipad to the GTX Bluetooth and the Flightstream Bluetooth in parallel  (Flightstream for flightplan transfer and GtX345 for weather and traffic). They called Garmin and asked. Somebody at Garmin told them that the Garmin App will not work with this configuration. 

Today, I spoke to a technical supervisor at Garmin and he spoke to the Garmin Pilot App team. They confirmed that this setup should work fine and will be the only solution for this setup.

We plan to do that next week and I will let you know, if it works.

Don, thank you for the Info about the Flightstream 510 offer. This may be an option too. But it would be expensive.

Stefan

I'm interested in hearing how this plays out. I would also touch base with Aspen's technical support about this situation. It might help someone else headed down the same path.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 8:34 PM, SAMFOX said:

Bunti, I am interested if you have discovered any more info as it sounds like I might have myself signed up for the same problem. The main reason I went with the FS210 and GTX-345 is for the FLPN transfer and ADS-B interface to my 530W/430W...Aspen interface for wx/ADS-B was a nicety. From reading your post it does not sound like the below setup the avionics shop has provided me is the way to go...I am using the Foreflight Pro.  Would recommend forgoing the Aspen integration? 

Install Garmin GTX-345 Transponder with ADS-B Transceiver. 

GTX-345 will display Traffic and Weather on GNS-530W, GNS-430W and Aspen EFD-1000.

Garmin Flightstream 210 Bluetooth link.

Flightstream 210 will be interfaced to GNS-530W and GTX-345 for flight plan transfer, ADS-B weather and traffic interface to Ipad.

Aspen EFD-1000 ADS-B Enablement.

Wire GTX-345 to Aspen EFD-1000 to display Traffic and weather.

SamFox-

I picked up my Mooney from it's Install two weeks ago.  I'm now running a GTX-345 with FlightStream 210 connected to a 530W.  I have a PFD-1000 but don't have it connected for ADSB Display...by choice.  

When I first picked it up, I was only getting AHRS and GPS positioning over Bluetooth from the 210....for both Garmin Pilot and Foreflight.  After a software upgrade to the Flightstream earlier this week, Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are picking up Traffic and Weather as well!!  After 4 flight hours with the new software I can report the installation is working great!  I was previously using a Stratus and now am getting much more traffic as I had heard I would.  Traffic and weather are also displaying on the 530W.

I'm only using the Bluetooth connection from the 210 and that appears to be the way to go.  You can disable the 345 bluetooth or leave it up and running.  I'm not connecting to it at all.

Any questions, let me know.

Brian

4 minutes ago, bhilgy said:

SamFox-

I picked up my Mooney from it's Install two weeks ago.  I'm now running a GTX-345 with FlightStream 210 connected to a 530W.  I have a PFD-1000 but don't have it connected for ADSB Display...by choice.  

When I first picked it up, I was only getting AHRS and GPS positioning over Bluetooth from the 210....for both Garmin Pilot and Foreflight.  After a software upgrade to the Flightstream earlier this week, Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are picking up Traffic and Weather as well!!  After 4 flight hours with the new software I can report the installation is working great!  I was previously using a Stratus and now am getting much more traffic as I had heard I would.  Traffic and weather are also displaying on the 530W.

I'm only using the Bluetooth connection from the 210 and that appears to be the way to go.  You can disable the 345 bluetooth or leave it up and running.  I'm not connecting to it at all.

Any questions, let me know.

Brian

I flew across the country this week in an Acclaim that had the latest software update and GTX 345R.  I was surprised and somewhat disappointed that in emulating the GDL 90 the GTX 345 does not have TargetTrend, one of the most useful features of the GDL 88.