Exhaust crack at annual

AP didn't like seeing the white streaks on main exhaust so i pulled the muffler...29916022a407220bba5c4a00b6b80686.jpg

Bead blasted questionable spots and didnt see anything on main out, but did see start of crack and you can clearly see bulge on right side.

Sending in to AWI, they wanted down tubes also.

Im thinking in back of my mind about just getting all "new" slip joint unit. Will the SB allow for a conversion on my core to slip joint if they find down tubes are shot too?

1e925a0878f658b519e578926b3d707f.jpg

Probably have them weld the egt holes and move them up a couple inches, get rid of the farmyard engineering and replacing the old EI w/JPI.

On another note, how often do you check torque on your engine mounts?

J

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ya, my quote for the muffler was $700, and we will see on the downs. My AP said that the ball joint type seal up better than slip joints. I know new w slip joint is going to be $2000, but have in stock.
Im thinking if thats ribbed muffler though, that i would neef new shroud too?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had a bad muffler almost 5 years ago and opted to upgrade to the PowerFlow tuned exhaust since I had to spend money anyway. I'm glad I did. ('66E.)

http://www.powerflowsystems.com/products.php?cat_id=5&pid=46

I can't vouch for all the claims they make but I'm sure in my own mind that the gains easily justify the delta cost.

PFS use slip joints. Be sure you or your mechanic does the anti-seize application require at Annual or 100 hr. I do it myself, it's less than 1 hour. Of course slip joint style conventional mufflers should get the same preventive care. I would say that if a shop has a fixed price for the annual inspection this task should be included but I would be sure to point it out to them that you expect it to be done.   

• Like 1

If you need welding, I would recommend K&K Precision Welding in Wisconsin.  It seems that they are authorized to do many repairs (but I'm not sure about muffler).  They charged me $200 for welding torque tube assembly  from my 1974 Moooney M20E.  All other shops quoted me $600 and up.

They did a great job and issued return to service tag.  

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:13 PM, madjano said:

AP didn't like seeing the white streaks on main exhaust so i pulled the muffler...

Can you get the muffler out w/o pulling the lower cowl ('66 E)?

Power Flow requires disassembly and lubrication with anti seize paste each 100 hours, it’s part of the ICA’s and not part of an annual per the Mooney check list.  

Regular prop balance extends the warranty as well.

So an extra charge is warranted.

Clarence