MY RAYJAY IS HOSING ME

So I am owner-assisting my first annual with my A&P and it's RayJay hose replacement time. HOLY SHIT. I need dwarf hands. How does anyway reach any of these hoses???? It took me 3 hours to replace one fuel hose today. 3 hours. One hose. 1000 curse words. Two bloody hands.   

• Like 1

After several years of working on the M20 Airframe, I've found that there are typically three basic ways to accomplish a maintenance task:

1) the way the manual says to do it.

2) the way experienced Mooney mechanics do it.

3) the way it looks like it should be done to someone new to Mooneys.

Occasionally all three are the same and that's obviously the best course of action.  Many times numbers one and two are the same, also the best course of action. When all three are different, number two is the best course of action. The trouble is if you won't know unless you fall under the definition of number two or are working with someone who does.

I on occasion have found myself removing items to gain access when a better mechanic might not.  I do this because I think I'm a lousy wrench when I am bloody and frustrated. Things like thin walled sockets, swivel sockets, crows feet, low profile open end wrenches, can be the difference between having an easy job of it and something so frustrating it kills your gumption.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

From pump to servo or servo to fuel distributor?

Anything to the fuel servo!!! That damn thing is hidden.

But the one that gave me trouble today was from the fuel pump to the fuel sender...basically against the fire wall. And trying to get the damn thing off the fuel pump was INSANE. It was a two person job--which I discovered hours later. 

For the prop gov, and the fuel distributor/fuel servo line, I think I am going to have to drop the lower cowl. 

I'm not familiar with the RayJays plumbing.  Are you trying o work with the intake runners in place?  Intake runners on the NA birds are held on by just 2 nuts at the cylinder and pressed into the air box. It should take less than 5 mins to remove one (thin walled socket is desirable). Is yours different?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I'm not familiar with the RayJays plumbing.  Are you trying o work with the intake runners in place?  Intake runners on the NA birds are held on by just 2 nuts at the cylinder and pressed into the air box. It should take less than 5 mins to remove one (thin walled socket is desirable). Is yours different?

I am--clearly to my own detriment. I'll ask my A&P--moving the intake plumbing would free up a lot more room! 

You know like the starter.  4 bolts. 1 wire connection.   But you have to take the alternator off to get to two of the bolts.   They said replacing the fuel pump could not be done without removing a mag.    Sometimes yetti paws are a deterrent sometimes long fingers are helpful.  Crows feet are your friends.   There is a lot of finesse and being able to work blind that goes into mooney maintenance. The professional just kind of grins when I asks if he wants to do it or supervise me.  For some reason he always chooses to supervise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M20F said:

What is the AD requiring the fuel hoses to be replaced every 5yrs, not familiar with that.  

Hi Mike, the fuel, air and oil hoses have to be replaced every 5 years per AD 81-19-04  

http://flyabonanza.com/ADs_files/AD 81-19-04.pdf

53 minutes ago, Yetti said:

They said replacing the fuel pump could not be done without removing a mag.

You can change the fuel pump without taking off the mag, but it is Soooo much easier if you do.

Changing fuel pump with mag on 2 hours, bloody hands and a lot of bad words.

Changing fuel pump with mag off 1 hour.

4 minutes ago, Brian Scranton said:

Hi Mike, the fuel, air and oil hoses have to be replaced every 5 years per AD 81-19-04  

http://flyabonanza.com/ADs_files/AD 81-19-04.pdf

Seems reasonable for rubber hoses, a bit excessive for Teflon lined hoses.

If I had a plane that this AD applies to, I would buy the cheapest hoses available.

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Seems reasonable for rubber hoses, a bit excessive for Teflon lined hoses.

If I had a plane that this AD applies to, I would buy the cheapest hoses available.

Apparently, you can call the FSDO and get a 7-year Teflon approval...i think the 7 years refers to how much time it takes to get the approval, heyoooo! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

I wouldn't work on the engine without a rag tied over the turbo compressor inlet and discharge.  I once worked on a turbo Twin Comanche which had no boost from one turbo, I found a cowl screw in the compressor wheel.

Clarence