Mooney vs Cirrus

SkepticalJohn

The missing bits, so far as I'm aware, are:

1) unable to handle approaches without glidepath angle and

2) ADS-B weather won't display. (I believe this to be the case, but I haven't tried yet)

(1) is not a big deal as I know of no airports that this would exclude.

(2) is not a big deal as I run FF with stratus and have XM weather.

-dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wingdude said:

Thanks for the replies everyone... I will write a separate post about what I am planning to buy.

I have been warned that the Mooney G1000 software has not been upgraded by Garmin over the years with the same enhancements as the Cirrus G1000 software...

Interested in an answer to my Q re G1000 differences if anyone knows..

**Differences between Mooney ( with GFC700) G1000 and Cirrus G1000

....Apart from the no keypad, are there any other differences in features between the current G1000 software versions?

There is a keypad on the new NXI Garmin equipped Mooney's. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 5:04 PM, bonal said:

I always like this kind of tale especialy when my preferred make is the victor.  But to be fair you have no idea what power settings the Cirrus was running.  All things considered our Mooney's are very efficient having an over 50 year old design that can level cruise at just under 150 knots true on 9 gallons per hour on 180 horse power is pretty amazing especially when you consider my 1035 pound useful load and 600mile range with 1 hour reserve

Except Mooney does NOT level cruise at 150 knots on THAT fuel flow.  #Mooneymyth #proudowner #boasting101 #realityisfoggy #tailwindsarerealmyfriend #truethat #groundspeedmatters #indicatedvstrue #fuelflowISrelevent #LOPdoesnotmeanfast #LOPisbestofbothworlds #reoccuringtheme #Mooneyhumor #Ipreferrealsville #stretchingitbro #dochutesmatter #pullitalready #loyalty

To a fault

9 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Except Mooney does NOT level cruise at 150 knots on THAT fuel flow.  #Mooneymyth #proudowner #boasting101 #realityisfoggy #tailwindsarerealmyfriend #truethat #groundspeedmatters #indicatedvstrue #fuelflowISrelevent #LOPdoesnotmeanfast #LOPisbestofbothworlds #reoccuringtheme #Mooneyhumor #Ipreferrealsville #stretchingitbro #dochutesmatter #pullitalready #loyalty

To a fault

Spare us the insults, I don't think bonai's reference to "just under 150k true on 9 gph" is hyperbole. I routinely fly my 54 year old E at 140- 145 ktas on 8.0 gph (60%) and while I love the way it flies I don't think my plane as very fast - a J or K would be faster.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob_Belville said:

Spare us the insults, I don't think bonai's reference to "just under 150k true on 9 gph" is hyperbole. I routinely fly my 54 year old E at 140- 145 ktas on 8.0 gph (60%) and while I love the way it flies I don't think my plane as very fast - a J or K would be faster.

Just having fun Bob.  Sorry if I insulted you or bonai.  Stretching speed is a hobby many pursue.  Or am I stretching it there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RogueOne said:

Just having fun Bob.  Sorry if I insulted you or bonai.  Stretching speed is a hobby many pursue.  Or am I stretching it there?

Oh, you're dead on. But you should have quoted someone who flies a C at 165 ktas at 12,500'. :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RogueOne said:

To a fault

Your right, some are faster on less fuel flow..

IMG_20131011_144406_290 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20131011_144422_371 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Mike Mike Mike mine will do that too with right tailwind...

I think you are missing Mike's point...this plane is showing 158kts on 8.5gph TAS...ground speed is 160kts...tailwind component is only adding 2 kts...now blast away at the accuracy of the Aspen all you want.  I have no reference or comment on that!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

crickets...lol

Is that a 180HP Mooney in the photo?  Devil is in the details...

To funny.  Between the boastin’ and the roastin’

I fly Mooney.  Preachin’ to the choir.  BUT it is the exception that an unmoved 180HP vintage Mooney can achieve 150 knots...nay “nearly” 150 knots sipping that quantity of fuel an hour.

Flame away.  I am a moving target and chaff is deployed.  Wait, I need to get a photo of my speed while diving.  Impressive.  VERY impressive.

8 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Is that a 180HP Mooney in the photo?  Devil is in the details...

To funny.  Between the boastin’ and the roastin’

I fly Mooney.  Preachin’ to the choir.  BUT it is the exception that an unmoved 180HP vintage Mooney can achieve 150 knots...nay “nearly” 150 knots sipping that quantity of fuel an hour.

Flame away.  I am a moving target and chaff is deployed.  Wait, I need to get a photo of my speed while diving.  Impressive.  VERY impressive.

Needs pics you say? Level at 11,000 and in descent just for fun.

IMG_20171121_115237646_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171121_122912569.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RogueOne said:

To a fault

This yields 154 knots (see photo) with two on board. On long trips we fly as close to three hours between fuel and with climb cruise and descent most I can put in is 27 gallons of fuel and I'm sure we burn more in the climb than we get back in the descent so 9gph seems pretty reasonable. At 8000 ft three heading gps gave 148 knots and four heading gave 149 again with two on board. Your thoughts were taken in the spirit you intended. But yes there are Mooney C's that can do the unlikely. I read your post but didn't even realize I was being quoted till Bobs reply such an old thread.

all good

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RogueOne said:

I’m KIDDING Bob.

After all the repetition, it ain't kidding no more.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

What makes you say first pic was diving? At FL 110 on IFR fp.

Cuz he's being an ass . . . .

My C does 147-148 KTAS per my G430W, and by taking IAS (145 mph) + 2% per 1000' on the altimeter (0.02 × 9.5 × 145 = 27.5; 145 + 27 = 172 mph = 149 KTAS). No fuel flow, but my block fuel burn (pump to pump) has averaged 9 gph for the last decade-plus; on IFR training flights with lots of approaches, it is lower. I'd add the pictures (again), but it's too much trouble just to shut up an ass who'll ignore the VSI and yell that I was diving and have no fuel flow instrument in the photo (because there isn't one in my plane).

• Like 2