Bahamas Travel

Kefferch

Just now, Kefferch said:

I imagine I can do eAPIS at KFPR and there will be someone to assist if needed?

No, do it the night before (not more than 24 hours) from the comfort of your home on a fast internet connection. You will be cursing every time it messes you up and you have to start over or are confused. You'll figure it out sooner or later but it's a really poorly designed and unintuitive system. You don't need help. You just need a lot of patience.

Just now, daver328 said:

Amen to that!!

It requires some 15 character password using caps, number, symbols, hieroglyphics, and emojis. You will NEVER remember it and have to recover/reset it every year that you decide to fly internationally again.

Ok even if I don't know what time I'll be departing? The problem is I have multiple stops because I'm stopping to pick up that PBT in Georgia and then stopping for fuel at KLAL and then stopping at KFPR before going across water.  

FYI...I already created my account and added my crew information.  I just haven't done the "Notice of Departure" or "Notice of Arrival" because I'm not sure exactly on the times.

Edited by Kefferch

Just now, Kefferch said:

Ok even if I don't know what time I'll be departing? The problem is I have multiple stops because I'm stopping to pick up that PBT in Georgia and then stopping for fuel at KLAL and then stopping at KFPR before going across water. 

I usually plan to at least spend a few hours at my last point in US before departing so that I could depart at my planned time and stay on schedule. In other words plan to have lunch at Fort Pierce and either take your time or hurry up to make your scheduled time. Things get messy when you go off schedule. If you have to, you have to. But what you can control saves a lot of trouble and keeps your mind clear. Plan to arrive in FPR with a few hours to eat, relax, get your plan together and then when the time comes, go and execute it. If you treat this like a scheduled airline flight, you will do well. If you think you can just jump in and go like some casual weekend burger run, you may have trouble.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 201er said:

I usually plan to at least spend a few hours at my last point in US before departing so that I could depart at my planned time and stay on schedule. In other words plan to have lunch at Fort Pierce and either take your time or hurry up to make your scheduled time. Things get messy when you go off schedule. If you have to, you have to. But what you can control saves a lot of trouble and keeps your mind clear. Plan to arrive in FPR with a few hours to eat, relax, get your plan together and then when the time comes, go and execute it. If you treat this like a scheduled airline flight, you will do well. If you think you can just jump in and go like some casual weekend burger run, you may have trouble.

Ok....I'll be sure to allow myself plenty of time!  Does anyone know what time Aircraft Spruce opens if I land to pick up there?  I don't see it on the website.

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

If you have a nice paint job don't feel obligated to follow their instructions to the "T". I place mine directly below right side elevator just forward and adjacent to the rudder-empenage fiaring. That way I can simply point to it as we congregate at the baggage door exiting the aircraft. Only one CBP inspector has even commented about over 15 years ago, and that was in the days before eAPIS. eAPIS has the sticker/decal number on it, so I am not sure why we even need a visible decal on the plane in the post eAPIS era anyway. Put it were you want, just make it easy for him to see it. To me bending over isn't hard either :)

For the last 12 years...I stick mine on inside of oil filler flap...never been questioned

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daver328 said:

Not encouraging you to EVER fly low on fuel, but if you top off at KFFC - you should easily do KFFC to KFPR without stopping at Lakeland for fuel .

going VFR there are only a few small corridors on either side of MCO's /KTPA's Class B Airspace to get through. I recommend getting flight following all the way and it's you get close, requesting permission to enter class B ... then you are covered, although if you enter you are obligated to follow their heading and altitude assignments 

I'll stick to my plan to stop and get fuel and then grab lunch at KFPR before heading out.

• Like 1

There is no maximum limit on filing eAPIS in advance, I always file by Wednesday for a Friday departure and I'll file the return (inbound eAPIS) at the same time.

Don't worry about the outbound departure time nor the inbound arrival times either. The fact is as long as the date doesn't change you do not need to re-file. Further on the outbound there is no further notification required regardless of the time you are departing (unless you required a CBP outbound inspection for something like carrying firearms which applies to practically no body). So just make your best guess and file now. As long as they can tag your eAPIS request to your activated flight plan the day of, and you are squawking a code other than 1200 you are good on the outboud.

On the inbound, time matters, but not so much for eAPIS but for Customs. I always file an arrival time later than I expect to return.  You must notify Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at your intended point of landing along with your estimated time of arrival at least one hour in advance of arrival. But that's crazy waiting till then - as mentioned many times - do it now. This is initially done by filing your eAPIS manifest for the return before you leave the US or same time you file your outbound manifest. As long as you return the same day as your filed manifest you don’t need to re-file the manifest, but you do need to notify customs of the updated time you will arrive if it has changed from your estimated time. This notification may be provided by telephone, radio to FSS, or by an ADCUS message (ADvise CUStoms). Easiest and safest way to do this is just contact the nearest FSS radio when you are still more than 30 min out enroute. 30 Min is the minimum advance notification required to change your arrival time and they expect you to arrive within 30 min if you don't change it. So now is the time to figure out what frequency and who'll your be contacting by looking up your options on the sectional for your intended route. Have a couple options ready to go in case you need them. When you talk to FSS, you'll be opening/activating your ICAO VFR flight plan, if it isn't already activated, and they will give you a squawk code to use before you cross the ADIZ. That's a last ditch effort to get you squawking a discrete code before crossing but its better to pick up Flight Following before you cross; but if you can't FSS will give you one. Don't worry about the stress of not meeting the exact time, just be prepared to make the radio call to update your ETA enroute 30 min out. You may need to climb up 6-8K to do so that far out 30 Mooney minutes. 

You don't  even need to re-file if you change your AOE coming back. But you do need to contact by phone preferably both CBP facilities. If in the air and diverting for weather, you can do this all on the radio with FSS.  You must re-file ONLY if you add additional travelers, change a travel date or change aircraft - period. So don't stress worrying about it, just be prepared to communicate updates via FSS radio coming back in. 

I don't know why, but the FL CBP folks are real sticklers about getting an advance phone call after you file your eAPIS for your return to confirm. Unlike coming from Canada and Mexico where they consider eAPIS all the notification they need, the Fort Pierce CBP really want you to call them in advance so they can check they got your eAPIS paperwork. If you don't they'll give you a hard time even though they did get your eAPIS. But when your new at this its a good check.

Since this is your first international trip, also be sure you have 12" N numbers on your aircraft.  If not I suggest stick on Vinyl letters/numbers from Spruce, since you might be stopping there anyway. Or you can even use shoe paste wax but after you clean it up you'll wish you had the Vinyl letters.

• Like 1

I concur with Paul just above that departure from USA eAPIS time is not critical. One of the first times I did this I had to change my departure and crossing time and the lady CBP USA gave me plenty of shit telling me to call Canadian customs instead.  I even had an event once where I wrongly entered my departure date by one day off. (Sometimes when you are on vacations, you loose track of the dates) I entered the next day and was quite oblivious when I would not get the clearing email as the departure time passed. I did not have access to a phone, only wifi so I just took off and went home. I received after several hours the clearing email (for the next day) and never heard anything ever.

I think they should just get rid of that requirement to get clearing on departure from USA... just a waste of time and money.... my opinion.

Yves

• Like 1

Allot of great info in this thread.

It's been 5 years since we flew to the Bahamas. It was some of the best flying I have done. We loved it.  Only problem I had was with us customs heading back. Time on the eapis is supposed to be military local time.  I was all mixed up with my times and filled my arrival time back in FPR at 5:00.  Should have been 1700.  When I called to alert then of my arrival, customs the agent said, "your the f-ing idiot who filled 5 am, is militarily time buddy" I apologized and he hung up on me. I called him back right away and asked for his name, he said I didn't need it and hung up again. I was pissed, we headed back to FPR. Once we landed my wife was about to unload the airplane, as we thought that was the procedure. I told her to leave everything, I was going inside to let this guy have it.  Once inside there was just one agent. I told him what had happened on the phone and he said, "yea, he can be a jerk,". Then happily stamped our passports and sent us on our way. Never looked at the plane.

We planed and practiced our egress before we left. We both wore inflatable life vests. My ditch kit had a life raft, epirb, aviation handheld, marine handheld, water, snacks, and beer. If I was going to be floating around the Bahamas, I was going to enjoy it.

We flew IFR in and out and like others, talked only to Miami.  Above 6 or 7k.  

Ok well I filed my eAPIS for departure and return and thanks to this awesome group/community I received additional help from some members that are going to meet me at KFXE and lend me their raft.  I'm looking forward to the trip but slightly nervous that I'm forgetting something even though I've gone down the checklist multiple times.  I'll keep you guys updated how the trip progresses and give a final report when I land safely in the bahamas! :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kefferch said:

Ok well I filed my eAPIS for departure and return and thanks to this awesome group/community I received additional help from some members that are going to meet me at KFXE and lend me their raft.  I'm looking forward to the trip but slightly nervous that I'm forgetting something even though I've gone down the checklist multiple times.  I'll keep you guys updated how the trip progresses and give a final report when I land safely in the bahamas! :)

Its always great to see another Mooney join the ranks of international flyers! Have a great time and don't worry. There is no international destination easier than the Bahama's either in my opinion. How could it be when you are still talking to Miami center most of the entire time :) 

(Personally, I can't even think of our brethren to the north as a international destination - just our neighbors with a one way border we don't really notice much till coming back home to less than welcome treatment by our CBP. )  

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Umm France from the UK. :).  

Or Norway from northern Uk. :)

Or Holland from the UK :) 

oh then there's Denmark from the UK :)  

all less than  an hour or so Mooney time from the UK :)  

Oh sorry I'm bragging. 

Andrew. 

That's barely international.  All but Norway are within the EU:):)

Umm France from the UK. .  
Or Norway from northern Uk.
Or Holland from the UK  
oh then there's Denmark from the UK   
all less than  an hour or so Mooney time from the UK   
Oh sorry I'm bragging. 
Andrew. 

Sorry dude, sister states of the EU hardly count! Have you flown beyond the borders of the EU yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Made the trip one time great experience. Didn't have all this great support. Not sure what time you plan on getting into Bahamas but from what I recall you don't want to get there after sunset (may be an hour before sunset ) but I think it's more of a hassle and they will charge you for arriving after this time. My experience with customs on both sides was uneventful. I sure you will have a great time.

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

oh and Russia is on my list to do this year!

You get big stars for Russia! looking forward to hearing all about that.

Its just that it seems to us here, that going anywhere in the EU and not leaving EASA airspace makes flying to another EU country a non-event. No?

Oh god no.  Each one has different customs regs, each one has different airspace rules.  They are getting better, but no it requires a LOT of planning and reading.  For example france has different town colours for how high you can fly over them, if you dont know this you may think as in the UK "as long as i can alight clear in case of issues", but no, over in france if you are not above the correct height expect a 40 amu fine!  
Andrew

I had thought that all of you being a part of EASA would take you to standardization. That's a real shame :( but sometimes committees accomplish nothing.