Garmin OnePak PIREPS?

Jeff_S

Hello all,

The time has come for my annual database renewal and I'm leaning toward the Garmin OnePak to try it out. I saw a few posts here from last year about people switching to Garmin for the price decrease and it is worthwhile. My questions are more about anything to do with the quality of the data. Has anyone noticed any issues such as approaches not being available, missing airports or anything like that? Or has it generally been a seamless transition?

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

Hello all,

The time has come for my annual database renewal and I'm leaning toward the Garmin OnePak to try it out. I saw a few posts here from last year about people switching to Garmin for the price decrease and it is worthwhile. My questions are more about anything to do with the quality of the data. Has anyone noticed any issues such as approaches not being available, missing airports or anything like that? Or has it generally been a seamless transition?

That's the way I'll be renewing again this year.  The Garmin Nav data is not as complete as the Jeppesen Nav data, but not enough incomplete to out weigh the extra benefits of using the OnePac.  Private airports are still not shown, and just today the airport data on 3O1, Gustine, a small airport, did not have the runway layout or pattern that I believe Jeppesen had.  Still, overall, the Garmin Nav data is acceptable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Hello all,

too bad you cant stretch it out until April, when SNF is happening, Jeff. Jeppesen usually has a "deal" there that would make their product in line price wise with Garmin, and would have all the bennies of things like all the airports. Garmin may well have a "deal" also. We will see about getting a Jepp Pilot pack again for the silent auction at the Mooney Summit V, as it was a high interest item and one you won a couple of years ago. Thanks Jepp for the generous donation and thanks Garmin for the D2 watches Ken Yale and Andrew won!

• Like 1

Jeff, I had to update the annual subscription last month and went with US Standard + Flitecharts onepak.  

Worldwide base map, US Flitecharts, US Nav Data, US/Can/Euro Obstacles, US SafeTaxi, and Worldwide 9 sec Terrain.  It was $799 plus Tax.

I was already a Garmin (vs Jepp) user and I see no difference in quality at all, its just that I am parsed now to US versus North America.

Russ

• Like 1

Just now, Txbyker said:

Jeff, I had to update the annual subscription last month and went with US Standard + Flitecharts onepak.  

Worldwide base map, US Flitecharts, US Nav Data, US/Can/Euro Obstacles, US SafeTaxi, and Worldwide 9 sec Terrain.  It was $799 plus Tax.

I was already a Garmin (vs Jepp) user and I see no difference in quality at all, its just that I am parsed now to US versus North America.

Russ

Ditto.

Jeff, I converted to the same package last year in the middle of my subscription on Don Kaye's heads up re the significant savings. I also use Garmin Pilot and have a FS 510 so all the DBs are on my GTN 750, an Android tablet, and a smart phone which gives me traffic and weather on all devices with redundancy and a simpler update routine since the SD card doesn't have to come out of the GTN.

Much cheaper and more functional than it used to be.

(After many years using their "paper plates", I still prefer the Jepp chart layout but not enough to pay hundreds of $$$ a year for it.)

Along the lines Mike was describing, I renewed the full-USA Jeppesen DB subscription for the G500/GTN6xx/7xx during SNF last year and found it to be a reasonable price point for the quality of content.  To Don's point, the Jepp piece was obviously higher than the FliteCharts option, but not so much to give me pause.  Will see what pricing options they have this year and go the same route, most likely.  Financially, the OnePak (or Jeppesen PilotPak) is definitely the better way to go, as opposed to the "a la carte" method.

I feel I have the best best of both worlds and support both companies.  I, too, like Jeppesen Charts much better than the government charts.  So this is what I do:

1. Garmin OnePak for G500/GTN 750/ GTN 650.  This solution gives Flight Charts on both the G500 and GTN 750.  It give the complete data package including Flight Charts to the Aera 796 (used to cost $499 and then was reduced too $199).  It also gives the Premium IFR package fro Garmin Pilot.  (You still have to purchase the Garmin Pilot Basic Package).

2.  I buy the Jeppesen iPad Subscription, which for an extra $60 gives me Jeppesen Charts for the Aera 796.  It also gives Jeppesen Charts (overlayed on the Map) to Garmin Pilot as part of a deal Garmin and Jeppesen made.

3. For the new price of $210 Jeppesen supplies all the databases for the L3 ESI 500.

So with the above I have Jepp Charts on the 796 and on the iPad for both Jepp FD and Garmin Pilot.  Those are my primary source of charts in IMC.  I have Flight Charts displayed on both the G500 and GTN 750 so no $4500 unlock fee to display Jepp Charts on those instruments.  The charts on those displays are of marginal use in my opinion anyway.  All other databases are available on all the other boxes that require data bases.  Total yearly cost as this time: $799 (Onepak) + $299 (iPad) +$60 (796) + $210 (ESI 500) + $79 (Garmin Pilot Basic) = $1,447.  Not inexpensive, but the best buy for a complete package for everything I have in the cockpit.

• Like 1

We went this route too last month. For $599 a year we not only save $250 over Jepp, but get the approaches for the GTN.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is downloading the data. The Jepp software took only minutes while the Garmin software takes nearly 25 minutes to download everything and get it onto the SD disc.

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

We went this route too last month. For $599 a year we not only save $250 over Jepp, but get the approaches for the GTN.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is downloading the data. The Jepp software took only minutes while the Garmin software takes nearly 25 minutes to download everything and get it onto the SD disc.

However, Garmin data can be downloaded multiple times for your backup cards, while Jeppesen cannot.  With the new Concierge, all data is download in the background to the iPad and transferred through the FS 510 in a couple of minutes except for charts that takes about 10 minutes.

12 hours ago, donkaye said:

1. Garmin OnePak for G500/GTN 750/ GTN 650.  This solution gives Flight Charts on both the G500 and GTN 750.  It give the complete data package including Flight Charts to the Aera 796 (used to cost $499 and then was reduced too $199).  It also gives the Premium IFR package fro Garmin Pilot.  (You still have to purchase the Garmin Pilot Basic Package).

Don,

I have the same pack for my 750 and the basic Garmin Pilot as well as FlyQ on the iPad.  I was not aware that you automatically received the Premium IFR for the pilot thru the one pack purchase. I have received messages stating I had to purchase the upgraded premium pack to receive the plates thru the app.  How do I activate that option without the additional purchase of the premium update?  Call Garmin?

Thank you, Tim

18 hours ago, donkaye said:

However, Garmin data can be downloaded multiple times for your backup cards, while Jeppesen cannot.  With the new Concierge, all data is download in the background to the iPad and transferred through the FS 510 in a couple of minutes except for charts that takes about 10 minutes.

Yes! My Android phone and tablet sit on my desk. Both have Garmin Pilot as part of the OnePak and the DBs are automatically updated via my home wifi. The GTN gets updated from the phone via FS510 (there's a bug of some kind with my particular tablet affecting the updates but everything else works, e.g. traffic, weather sharing to the tablet. I have a 696, not a 796 so I have to update DBs to that SD card the old fashioned way. 

I'm not sure if I've been efficient, and I have not priced other items. I have the integrated bundled services . Garmin G1000 Pilot Pak  cost $1,466 includes the G1000, Desktop and two IPADS, what else is available, at what cost for us G1000 planes

43 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yes! My Android phone and tablet sit on my desk. Both have Garmin Pilot as part of the OnePak and the DBs are automatically updated via my home wifi. The GTN gets updated from the phone via FS510 (there's a bug of some kind with my particular tablet affecting the updates but everything else works, e.g. traffic, weather sharing to the tablet. I have a 696, not a 796 so I have to update DBs to that SD card the old fashioned way. 

I have the 796 and to the best of my knowledge Database Concierge and Sync doesn't include the 796 (so I have to update the 796 manually).  It would be nice if it did.

I have the 796 and to the best of my knowledge Database Concierge and Sync doesn't include the 796 (so I have to update the 796 manually).  It would be nice if it did.

Hum, I thought the 796 had that advantage over the 696.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Hum, I thought the 796 had that advantage over the 696.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The 796 has Bluetooth and the 696 does not.  So the 796 can make use of the FS 210 and FS 510. That's the only benefit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just renewed my subscriptions with the OnePak and found myself disappointed. I have a GTN650 and Aspen. That means I don't need the FliteCharts in my main subscription, so I purchased the $649 option. BUT, now I don't get FliteCharts on the 796. To get them I need the $799 bundle. Or I can purchase the 796 bundle for $149, the same amount. I had expected the 796 part of the OnePak to be the standard bundle, including FliteCharts, but it is not.

I never use the FliteCharts on the 796 because I use my iPad. But I like the idea of them being there as a backup, so I will probably buy it.

Maybe I should not complain though. It used to be $1000  for the GTN and $500 for the 796.

Larry

1 hour ago, larryb said:

I just renewed my subscriptions with the OnePak and found myself disappointed. I have a GTN650 and Aspen. That means I don't need the FliteCharts in my main subscription, so I purchased the $649 option. BUT, now I don't get FliteCharts on the 796. To get them I need the $799 bundle. Or I can purchase the 796 bundle for $149, the same amount. I had expected the 796 part of the OnePak to be the standard bundle, including FliteCharts, but it is not.

I never use the FliteCharts on the 796 because I use my iPad. But I like the idea of them being there as a backup, so I will probably buy it.

Maybe I should not complain though. It used to be $1000  for the GTN and $500 for the 796.

Larry

Are you using Garmin Pilot on your IPad? I am delighted that my $799 includes everything including charts for the GTN 750, a 696 portable, an Android tablet and an Android smart phone. (I do have to add $75(?) for VFR Garmin Pilot in order to get the full package on all devices.) I too had to pay $1500 for just the 750 and the 696 and I resented the high cost.

Larry, I personally like Jeppesen plates better than government plates.  So I purchased a Jeppesen subscription for the iPad and for an additional $60 got it for the 796.  This also gives Jeppesen Charts for Garmin Pilot in addition to JeppFD for the iPad.

Since I went the slightly more expensive route, I now have Flightcharts for the 750 and G500 in addition to the iPad, and Jeppesen for the 796 and iPad.  Coming back from Hawaii yesterday, I put up Garmin Pilot and watched the plane fly the Jeppesen ILS 30L overlay into San Jose on Garmin Pilot.