today's project - tug

peevee

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

What did you use for battery, motor and drive wheel? The rest appears to be 1" square tubing and a Mooney axle adapter, plus wiring and cable pulls.

it's 1-1/2" square steel tube, 1/8" wall. they were out of 1-1/4 and 1" was too small.

it's a wheelchair battery, 22 amp hour, and a winch for an ATV.

the cables, one runs to the jaws to open and close them, and the other disengages the clutch on the winch so it can freewheel. When the jaws are open, winch is free, when closed, it's engaged. One lever with an over center lock and two cables.

the drive wheel is from northern tool, and like Don Muncey's tug design I had the winch reel turned down to accept a sprocket and cut a keyway and ran #35 roller chain to drive it. I built his design first and used a lot of his ideas on my own frame.

the controls are standard remote winch controls from ebay, a switch and a contactor mounted by your thumb to go forward or reverse.

I might be biased, but I think it works better than the gas powertow it replaced. I'll shorten and clean up the wiring someday... maybe. It could be a little shorter but I wanted leverage and weight on the wheel for traction.