Trouble for Indiana Jones?

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Looks like the FAA was not too vindictive in handling this particular goof up.   I suspect it had something to do with his behavior after the fact.  

http://www.flyingmag.com/faa-allows-harrison-ford-to-keep-flying-without-restriction?src=SOC&dom=fb

Or the fact he is a famous movie actor. Do you think if you or I did that Dev we would get the same treatment?

20 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Or the fact he is a famous movie actor. Do you think if you or I did that Dev we would get the same treatment?

I suspect that if you were non-confrontational about the violation and had a good attitude and no record you'd be treated about as well.

In flying and in incident investigations, attitude is very important.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marauder said:

It's tough for me to guess what the incentives are for the FAA in these situations, but I imagine enforcement against a famous person under a lot of media scrutiny might cut both ways from a PR standpoint.  Harrison Ford's favorable public stature and nice guy image in aviation had to help though.  

I wonder if the outcome might be different if it were a D-bag like Tom Cruise, who could not stop laughing on Letterman about having intentionally gotten a passenger hypoxic by turning down his 02.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yes you would, mostly. Don't ask how I know. Main difference between the case I know and this one is about 3 months time before "case closed/dropped."

The new FAA compliance approach really is being implemented.

47 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Alright Dev, I think you need to take one for the team. Go land on a taxiway at a busy airport. Be nice about it and let us know how it turns out.;)

My crappy attitude, plus your having dared me to do it on a public forum, ain't gonna leave my defense team much to work with :P.  

• Like 3

Actually..he had to attend two meetings with local FAA authorities...had to view video,listen to ATC tapes and was quizzed for hours on his actions.Than he was given "study materials"and told to come back for more "testing"His atty states this took hours...apparently he passed ( not sure how I would have done)they were obviously giving him "special treatment"and not in a good way IMO.Sources say some inspectors thought he should also do the 709 check ride and are claiming he got off easy.I do not think for a minute that if you or I "joe Mooney"had a similar incident that we would go thru two 3 hour sessions..do you?This was a chance for local FAA office field workers to brighten up their day ,spending time with a celebrity.

Doesn't this look like a 'distraction' type of error?

The flight was handled in a completely ordinary manner with the one mistake of choosing the wrong surface to land on.

how many hours of training does one need to review causes of distractions and methods of avoiding them?

The fame of the offender has brought media attention on himself.

The FAA is battling the media attention to show that everything is still in order.

This situation has proven that the system works for human beings.

Humans make mistakes.

The FAA reviews the mistakes and makes recommendations or rules to make sure there isn't something more insidious going on or broken regarding the system.

It has got to be a little tough having the media follow you around to broadcast everything you do.

ordinary humans unintentionally run out of gas.

ordinary humans unintentionally fly VFR into IMC.

ordinary humans unintentionally land on the wrong surface.

ordinary humans unintentionally land with the gear up.

This is the equivalent of accidentally driving the wrong way on a One way street.  Something could go wrong if actions aren't taken quickly to resolve the situation.  Actions were taken.  No issues arose.

Great news, the system works for ordinary human beings.

For the not so ordinary human beings... they have a whole TV Channel to follow them around, TMZ...?  http://www.tmz.com/search/news/Starwars?adid=TMZ_Web_Nav_Search

No harm, no foul... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I triple dog dare you Dev.

Ok sure!  And don't worry - when the FAA asks how the mistake happened, I won't mention you by name.

I'll just ramble incoherently about an experiment inspired by some guy with an F model who goes by "Marauder" and really digs the larger ladies. :lol:

• Like 1

I would think a regular person like me and you would be less likely to have the FAA take action against us vs. Ford's celebrity status.  Because this thing had so much press my guess is the FAA had to do something and that's why he had to take the refresher courses.  I had so many non pilot folks tell me how Ford is losing it and should have his pilot license taken away(all driven by the media) and each time I would defend him by saying that the best of best pilots could of made the same mistake.  In my opinion the FAA went to far.  Ford should have only had to file a NASA form and that should of been the end of it.  I thought that's the way the system is suppose to work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Those thick black extended  runway centerlines on Foreflight keeps me off taxiways on every landing.

The faint dashed extended centerlines on the Garmin 750, not so much.

Yeah those runway centerlines on Foreflight keep me out of some serious trouble - I'm a pretty new pilot who has flown with the ipad on the yoke since the day I finished PPL. The lines make it so easy to set up pattern entries and lining up on final that fear that I'm utterly incompetent pilot without them.

10 hours ago, kerry said:

I would think a regular person like me and you would be less likely to have the FAA take action against us vs. Ford's celebrity status.  Because this thing had so much press my guess is the FAA had to do something and that's why he had to take the refresher courses.  I had so many non pilot folks tell me how Ford is losing it and should have his pilot license taken away(all driven by the media) and each time I would defend him by saying that the best of best pilots could of made the same mistake.  In my opinion the FAA went to far.  Ford should have only had to file a NASA form and that should of been the end of it.  I thought that's the way the system is suppose to work.

yes he is and he flies the fastest star ship in the galaxy too:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Those thick black extended  runway centerlines on Foreflight keeps me off taxiways on every landing.

The faint dashed extended centerlines on the Garmin 750, not so much.

You should try Avare on your non-apple products. It's free, and the runway centerlines are bright red. Just line it up with the red and white barber pole showing which way the plane is headed. Worked on my last Delta flight into ATL when I had a window seat.