Who's going to Sun n Fun?

mooneygirl

Fantasy of Flight is open to the public Friday thru Sunday 11:00 to 3:00.  The website says that the museum is "scaled down ".  But, as much as Kermit Weeks has I'm sure you can't see it all in 4 hours.  I'm hoping they are doing the engine shop tour. I just missed it last time ... I was limited to looking thru the windows. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CaptRJM said:

Fantasy of Flight is open to the public Friday thru Sunday 11:00 to 3:00.  The website says that the museum is "scaled down ".  But, as much as Kermit Weeks has I'm sure you can't see it all in 4 hours.  I'm hoping they are doing the engine shop tour. I just missed it last time ... I was limited to looking thru the windows. 

Wonderful place to go I made it there before he closed it.  I wish it was profitable for him to keep open.  I think marketing was his biggest downfall.  Riding past you think it is just airplane rides and nothing else.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:01 PM, Raptor05121 said:

Is it back open to the public?

I'll be flying down Friday morning and leaving Sunday. I just bought an air mattress and lantern today. I have a 10-person tent as well. I'm getting excited as I've been going for 10 years and this is my first that I'll be flying in. I'll be parking in vintage and will be making a MooneySpace t-shirt.

Any place to stay at 24J looking for a stop point if I leave Thursday evening to avoid having to leave at 0500 Friday morning.

I think they shut down the airfield at 10am correct?

Never mind my buddy cant get away from family duties until 10pm Thursday night.  I have no intention of launching then.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 7:47 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Any place to stay at 24J looking for a stop point if I leave Thursday evening to avoid having to leave at 0500 Friday morning.

I think they shut down the airfield at 10am correct?

Never mind my buddy cant get away from family duties until 10pm Thursday night.  I have no intention of launching then.

If you still need the info: we have several hotels in town, Quallity Inn near I-10, next to Wal-Mart and a bunch of fast food. I can pick-up/drop-off anyone wanting to make a stopover. Current 24J fuel is $3.66/gal

• Like 1

I flew to SnF 3 years ago with some friends of mine in his Cherokee 6.  I was in the right seat I worked procedures and he flew the plane.  That worked well and if you have another pilot student pilot or at least someone interested in flying in the right seat it will help.  Read and understand the procedures before you leave look at google maps to see visually what they are talking about in the procedures.  It is not difficult just following some certain landmarks and directions.  You actually do not talk back to tower they tell you what to do and you are expected to do it.  Communication is established at the outer landmarks with spotters and wing waggles if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Hank said:

Oh oh--SnF is the same time as Maxwell AFB's first airshow since 2010. April 8 the Tbirds will perform, and the French AF demo team.

I'm torn . . . Maxwell is less than an hour's drive; trying to find the hoops to jump through for 15 Mooney minute ride instead.

Let me know if you find those hoops.  I would much prefer the flight vs. drive time myself.  I guess you could fly into Prattville or Montgomery, but what's the point?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 5:35 AM, midlifeflyer said:

Couple of days midweek for me and a friend. Flying into Zephyrhills but have a place to stay in Lakeland.

i will probably do an hour working the AOPA Pilot Protection Service booth.

Update. Looks like we are flying in Wednesday and leaving Friday. My stint at the PPS both is Thursday 10-1.

I just looked, the tower opens at 6am on Friday. We will probably depart here about 5am so by the time we get there, we will be the first arrivals. I'll be looking out for your plane

Also, the first set of NOTAMS for Sun n Fun comes out on the 4th. This is my first time flying in so I'm eager to get to planning.

Alex, I have to go to San Diego on business but I'll be back Thursday night and I plan to drive down Friday Morning (staying at my Bother in laws house right in Lakeland). I got a couple of other friends flying in and I was going to pick them up Friday evening and take them to dinner in town. Let me know if you want to come along. I should be able to squeeze a couple more in my expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1