Who's going to Sun n Fun?

mooneygirl

Okay, it's time to get serious with our plans. Nancy and I intend to fly down Wed. AM to make the Mooney press conference Thursday AM. Nancy does not do camping so the logistics get a little complicated. I am comfortable flying into LAL, parking Vintage, renting a car, and a hotel but I'm open to using a satellite field if that's easier. We could stay a day or two or all weekend. The weather looks like it's going to be great, hot Wednesday then cooler for the next several days.

Advice? Know a good deal on a hotel?

10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Okay, it's time to get serious with our plans. Nancy and I intend to fly down Wed. AM to make the Mooney press conference Thursday AM. Nancy does not do camping so the logistics get a little complicated. I am comfortable flying into LAL, parking Vintage, renting a car, and a hotel but I'm open to using a satellite field if that's easier. We could stay a day or two or all weekend. The weather looks like it's going to be great, hot Wednesday then cooler for the next several days.

Advice? Know a good deal on a hotel?

Our plans will be changing. After posting this we found out that our grandson had an accident while on spring break in FL with his dad. He's a HS track athlete and was on a training run. He's in a hospital in St. Petersburg FL fighting for his life with a fractured skull.

Prayers coveted...

8 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Our plans will be changing. After posting this we found out that our grandson had an accident while on spring break in FL with his dad. He's a HS track athlete and was on a training run. He's in a hospital in St. Petersburg FL fighting for his life with a fractured skull.

Prayers coveted...

Bob - sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy and easy recovery! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

Bob - sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy and easy recovery! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. 

Thanks. The latest update is horrible. Our daughter just boarded her delayed flight from Atlanta. She's traveling by herself. They're keeping her firstborn on life support until she arrives to say goodbye. We're beyond devastated.

Extremely sorry to hear about your grandson!  I can only hope that there is a miracle and things turn around for you.

We are in Lakeland at the Hyatt.  Will be at SnF tomorrow and Wednesday.  Heading south Wednesday night to visit friends in PGD.

Went to Fantasy of Flight on Sunday.  What a bust! Only the smallest of hangars open with about 20 planes.  Two short tours, not even worth mentioning.  According to the 2 volunteers, Kermit Weeks was going to loose his Non Profit status unless he reopened as a museum.  So he put some WWI, WWII and a couple of GeeBees in this hangar and reopened to the public.  There are plans that in a 3 years they are going to reopen as a totally new museum. There are supposedly 40 planes being restored at this time either at his shop or other places around the world.  I guess we will see.  The plan seemed awful ambitious for a 3 year window 

Edited by CaptRJM
Spelling

BTW,  flew into ZPH.  Worst service I have ever encountered!  I had never been there so I had no idea where they would want me to park.  Was calling Unicom with no response.  Finally shut down in front of the FBO and walked in.  The one person on duty was on the phone.  Wouldn't even acknowledge me until he finished his conversation.  When he finally looked at me I asked if he was monitoring Unicom.  Yes, he replied.  Then I asked if he heard me.  Yes, once again he replied.  "So, why didn't you answer me?" I asked.  "I was on the phone, what do you want me to do?"was the answer.

It was a fiasco getting out rental car.  I made the stupid mistake of asking for a good place to eat.  He thought and thought and thought some more.  Finally he says, "I would send you to the Country Club but they are too busy to serve you"

I'd never fly into Zephyrhills again unless it was an emergency.  Too many other places around that are happy to help you with just about anything.  

• Like 1

Alright guys, weather is rolling in around North/Central Fla. I haven't seen/heard any planes flying south yet. We've got a severe Wx watch going on now and is supposed to last the next day or so. The weekend is looking great.

If anyone gets socked into weather in/around my area, don't hesitate to land and call! I can drive and pick anyone up that needs a hotel or anything to wait out the weather.

1 hour ago, CaptRJM said:

BTW,  flew into ZPH.  Worst service I have ever encountered!  I had never been there so I had no idea where they would want me to park.  Was calling Unicom with no response.  Finally shut down in front of the FBO and walked in.  The one person on duty was on the phone.  Wouldn't even acknowledge me until he finished his conversation.  When he finally looked at me I asked if he was monitoring Unicom.  Yes, he replied.  Then I asked if he heard me.  Yes, once again he replied.  "So, why didn't you answer me?" I asked.  "I was on the phone, what do you want me to do?"was the answer.

It was a fiasco getting out rental car.  I made the stupid mistake of asking for a good place to eat.  He thought and thought and thought some more.  Finally he says, "I would send you to the Country Club but they are too busy to serve you"

I'd never fly into Zephyrhills again unless it was an emergency.  Too many other places around that are happy to help you with just about anything.  

I'm guessing they are overloaded. a lot of people fly in there to stay and to gas up. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks. The latest update is horrible. Our daughter just boarded her delayed flight from Atlanta. She's traveling by herself. They're keeping her firstborn on life support until she arrives to say goodbye. We're beyond devastated.

So sorry to hear about your grandson, Bob. You and your family are in our prayers.

• Like 1

Prayers coveted...

Oh Bob, I am so sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Bob, very sorry to hear this. Just terrible. Prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Bob, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine... Your family will be in our prayers.

• Like 1

Bob, I'm certain that your grandson and family are central to the thoughts and prayers of the entire Mooneyspace community. Please let us know if there's anything more we can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Prayers coveted...

So sorry to hear this. All our thoughts are with you.

If still flying down Wednesday morning to be there, be careful. At my last check, there are thunderstorms predicted to be moving into the area by late morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

So sorry to hear this. All our thoughts are with you.

If still flying down Wednesday morning to be there, be careful. At my last check, there are thunderstorms predicted to be moving into the area by late morning.

Thanks Mark, we may go to St. Pete but it will not be for Sun n Fun I'm afraid..