Rigging

Rookie

No. they should be even with the flaps.  This is assuming the flaps are adjusted correctly.  Some shops make use of flap adjustment to solve rigging issues.  

Disclaimer:  you should use the travel boards to set the rigging....  but,

I would start by centering the yokes and adjusting the ailerons to sit slightly below the wingtips.  When you fly, the air will blow them up a little and they should match the tip.  After that, look at the relation to the flap.  I would then adjust the flap as necessary.  After that, if there is a rolling tendency, find what is causing it.  

There is a lot of "adjust and fly" time in this process.  It took a year of doing this, but I gained 9KTAS through proper rigging!

These airplanes will fly while being WELL out of rig just like a Ford will run on seven cylinders.  However, the time and effort to tune (rig) properly will make your machine shine!

This is what mine looked like prior to rigging!  https://goo.gl/photos/2qoUtGrKByk23KV4A  My flaps were nearly 5 degrees off! :o

Edited by Guitarmaster

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

No. they should be even with the flaps.  This is assuming the flaps are adjusted correctly.  Some shops make use of flap adjustment to solve rigging issues.  

Disclaimer:  you should use the travel boards to set the rigging....  but,

I would start by centering the yokes and adjusting the ailerons to sit slightly below the wingtips.  When you fly, the air will blow them up a little and they should match the tip.  After that, look at the relation to the flap.  I would then adjust the flap as necessary.  After that, if there is a rolling tendency, find what is causing it.  

There is a lot of "adjust and fly" time in this process.  It took a year of doing this, but I gained 9KTAS through proper rigging!

These airplanes will fly while being WELL out of rig just like a Ford will run on seven cylinders.  However, the time and effort to tune (rig) properly will make your machine shine!

This is what mine looked like prior to rigging!  https://goo.gl/photos/2qoUtGrKByk23KV4A  My flaps were nearly 5 degrees off! :o

That is about the exact amount that mine are off.

Thanks for the info.

Was that a good or bad comment about a Ford? LOL

It is not uncommon for the high pressure air below the ailerons to raise them in flight and take some of the slop out of the aileron linkage.

This is greater in the older airplanes, of course, but I've seen it even in a very new Ovation 3.  This is independent of the ailerons and flaps being properly rigged, since the rigging is done on the ground without the air pressure below the wing pushing the ailerons up.

The amount it raises the ailerons should be slight, and most importantly it should be the same for both ailerons.

53 minutes ago, INA201 said:

Has anyone thought their plane was well rigged and had it checked to find that it wasn't? Mine flies great and seems that everything lines up well but there is always that looming knot out there seeing how my J is around 154 knots.

Thomas, you're in Spartanburg? Bring your J up to KMRN. Lynn (AGL Aviation) has all the rigging boards and can check your plane's rigging in less than an hour. Any adjustments indicated will take a little longer but not more than 4 hours at the outside.

Use my name, I need brownie points to cover all the times I drag him down to my hangar for a "what do you think about this?". 

https://www.aglaviation.com/

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

It is not uncommon for the high pressure air below the ailerons to raise them in flight and take some of the slop out of the aileron linkage.

This is greater in the older airplanes, of course, but I've seen it even in a very new Ovation 3.  This is independent of the ailerons and flaps being properly rigged, since the rigging is done on the ground without the air pressure below the wing pushing the ailerons up.

The amount it raises the ailerons should be slight, and most importantly it should be the same for both ailerons.

Great advice. Rig the ailerons with a person on each pushing up with about 30-40 lbs of force. That's where they'll be in flight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thomas, you're in Spartanburg? Bring your J up to KMRN. Lynn (AGL Aviation) has all the rigging boards and can check your plane's rigging in less than an hour. Any adjustments indicated will take a little longer but not more than 4 hours at the outside.

Use my name, I need brownie points to cover all the times I drag him down to my hangar for a "what do you think about this?". 

https://www.aglaviation.com/

Thanks Bob, I'll give him a call and we can see how it turns out.  

• Like 1

Now about that Ford...

if it has a catalytic converter, it won't keep running on seven cylinders.  The cat will pack up. As the back pressure builds, the engine stops running very well....

Preemptively swapping out spark plugs is better than changing out cats...

often, when the service engine soon light is turned on, the timing and/or mixture get adjusted to a 'safe' rich setting.  Dumping excess fuel to the cat is going to kill the cat over time...

-------------

+1 on getting the rigging boards out...

Consider Having a rigging day fly-in...  the boards come out and everyone can see how close theirs are to being well rigged.  The only cost comes with the need to make adjustments.

Thinking outloud....

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Consider Having a rigging day fly-in...  the boards come out and everyone can see how close theirs are to being well rigged.  The only cost comes with the need to make adjustments.

Thinking outloud....

-a-

I'm thinking I've been thinking the same thing. And I'll bet AGL would be willing to host such a party. Maybe another "Mooneys to the Mountains" fly-in.

• Like 3

Now about that Ford...
if it has a catalytic converter, it won't keep running on seven cylinders.  The cat will pack up. As the back pressure builds, the engine stops running very well....
Preemptively swapping out spark plugs is better than changing out cats...
often, when the service engine soon light is turned on, the timing and/or mixture get adjusted to a 'safe' rich setting.  Dumping excess fuel to the cat is going to kill the cat over time...
-------------
Thinking outloud....
-a-

No cat on my 1968 Cougar!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm thinking I've been thinking the same thing. And I'll bet AGL would be willing to host such a party. Maybe another "Mooneys to the Mountains" fly-in.

AGL thinks a Rigging Check Fly In @KMRN would be a great event! We're thinking April... (The 201 being picked up today had flaps that were 3 deg. down when full up.)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

Except I didn't pick her up! Thanks for the help today Bob.

a rigging session would have been great. Maintenance learning sessions are what we need!

Mark, sadly, I know you didn't get to PU your J yesterday. I'm headed to the airport - anxious to see what Lynn has learned. I hope to see you Saturday. (We have a church group coming to our house Saturday evening so I would like to pick you up Sat. AM @ KIGX.)

• 3 months later...

I am based @ 97FL (Love's Landing) just south of Leesburg, FL. I would like to get my flight controls rigging checked. I really like the sound of AGL @ KMRN, but it  is a trek to get home. Can anyone recommend some one closer that have the rigging boards and expertise?

Thinking aloud:

In the reflexed position the OP's ailerons might effectively be in a lower-induced drag position.  If this is so, all else equal, adjusting the ailerons to trail in the "correct" position might slow the plane.

A quick net search found comments suggesting that reflexed control surfaces on the Mooney's 23-215 may not have much of an effect, though users of certain airfoils will specifically set up a reflex position in cruise to decrease drag/increase speed.