530W/430W End of life?

50000 units I read somewhere...the most successful all purpose navigator ever made...supported into this decade for waas conversion....reliable ,functional,a true breakthrough for us guys with dual nav coms ,adf,dme...and of course apollo or Trimble Loran's or king 89/90 series ...I have to LoL when I hear people bitching about costs to repair a 530/430 ,sorry you didn't live through the time we had to repair 3 sepearate boxes of which the 430/530 is...1...its a tranciever for com..2..it's a vhf nac receiver..3. It's a GPS receiver with enough memory for basic nav procedures...plus...practical software upgrades made it compliant with blue tooth /wifi comm protocols not dreamed when it first came out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Pare said:

Has garmin announced an end of life for the 430/530? It would be a bummer to buy a 530w and fund out it won't be supported in the next 5 years.

They're getting really long in the tooth. The non-WAAS versions are no longer supported, I believe. Might as well put in an Avidyne 440 today.

I would not worry much about a failure either on the 530 or 430. These avionics were built using surface mount technology or SMT. Components used on SMT assembly need to withstand the hot air soldering process of over 600F. Infant mortality is detected right away during first test. Unlike leaded components SMT components have no leads or pins but pads. This make the component more rugged, smaller and less prone to fail under vibration. SMT assembly is cheaper, simpler and quicker.

José

6 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I would not worry much about a failure either on the 530 or 430. These avionics were built using surface mount technology or SMT. Components used on SMT assembly need to withstand the hot air soldering process of over 600F. Infant mortality is detected right away during first test. Unlike leaded components SMT components have no leads or pins but pads. This make the component more rugged, smaller and less prone to fail under vibration. SMT assembly is cheaper, simpler and quicker.

José

These units were surface mount tech..individual components placed by pic/ place machines...individual components on reel to reel tape.Than individual boards go into an oven that rapidly ramps up temp and than drops it....this is where good /crappy boards are produced.All components are rated for temp curves during this process...entire circuit boards coming out of Chinese plants fail simply because temp profiles weren't rigidly adhered to....the equivalent to burning the cake or pie cause you forgot to check.The thing is even though the boards and components look ok..and pass functional tests...they have been heat damaged and fail shortly after power is applied.This is infant mortality with electronics...caused by lowest bidder.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, thinwing said:

Oh and Piloto..600 way to hot..typically unleaded paste apps by bulk stencils ramp to 400 than quick 500 Than ramp down to 135 with cool down...

Soldering temperature depends on the type of solder used. For applications requiring high temp and vibration tolerance such as electronic ignition, engine control modules and flight critical components high temperature solder is used. Unlike a cell phone a PCB under vibration at high temp is prone to shake out SMT components if soldered with low temp solder.

http://www.indium.com/solder-paste-and-powders/low-high-temperature/

José