M22 Mustang

On 2/15/2017 at 7:19 AM, aviatoreb said:

The P210 is a lovely airplane and there are two on my airfield.  Not much fun in terms of "road feel" in flight but very capable.

A P-210 looks good on paper but just doesn't work out . . . at least for me. I have probably 25-30 hours in them. You'll only get 500 fpm climb and unless you get A/C they're hot on the ground and in climb. They aren't that fast unless you really push them and that's a lot of stress for a single TSIO-520 engine. I've come close to buying one three times but just couldn't pull the trigger. Pressurization is a game changer, though. I did have a P337 that was an awesome airplane but the bottom line is, pressurization is for passengers and I rarely have passengers.,

• Like 3

I immediatly wonder what the real world performance of the M22 would be using modern engine management techniques. Could it run a tad faster on less gas by someone who knows how to run a turbo. I don't recall if it is intercoo led.

We had a P210 partnership in the mid 80s for a few years (I was 12 then but recall it reasonably well). It was around a 180kt bird at altitude. It was also radar equiped (big pod under the right wing) and seemed way more sophisticated than the Mooney. My strongest memory is that we were alway on top of weather in that plane (that is to say always looking down on clouds). I liked to lay in the back in look out of the rear window while listening to my Walkman!

If the M22 had survived - I bet it would have gradually improved for 10 or 15 years as a piston, and then it would gone turbine I bet just like the Piper Mirage line did, and then we would have had a very successful and still thriving M22 fleet.  And I bet it would have been a great sales line for Mooney aircraft through the years.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread... I just found that there apparently are 2 M22 still operating in Switzerland. One of them had a narrow escape on a runway overrun at Wangen Lachen (500m long) where it's been based at for decades.

Question: Has somebody got a PDF copy of the POH of this airplane? I am particularly looking for the performance part for my collection.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:04 PM, KLRDMD said:

A P-210 looks good on paper but just doesn't work out . . . at least for me. I have probably 25-30 hours in them. You'll only get 500 fpm climb and unless you get A/C they're hot on the ground and in climb. They aren't that fast unless you really push them and that's a lot of stress for a single TSIO-520 engine. I've come close to buying one three times but just couldn't pull the trigger. Pressurization is a game changer, though. I did have a P337 that was an awesome airplane but the bottom line is, pressurization is for passengers and I rarely have passengers.,

They are nice as the turbine conversion.

We have had a couple of M22s around MS.  One went through some extensive OH then had some misfortune....

Wiki has a nice write up on the M22 and it’s powerplant.

Kind of underpowered compared to today’s birds.

pressurization sure would be nice.

Best regards,

-a-

It is amazing to me that they got a 3700 pound airplane (at max gross) to fly on what appears to be the same wing as the other Mooneys.  Must be the rubber brisket landing gear that limits things certification wise. 

Edited by Gary0747

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Urs_Wildermuth said:

Digging up this old thread... I just found that there apparently are 2 M22 still operating in Switzerland. One of them had a narrow escape on a runway overrun at Wangen Lachen (500m long) where it's been based at for decades.

Question: Has somebody got a PDF copy of the POH of this airplane? I am particularly looking for the performance part for my collection.

Try:

https://www.esscoaircraft.com/

They can send you print or you can download PDF.