1988 252 with Encore upgrade

N252MK

Welcome aboard, Alan.  

Take a look at the Continental website for actual OH prices.  Getting the actual engine model so it includes the TC with the price will be helpful...

Roughly add another 10AMU for R&R.

PP knowledge only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Continental wants $61 AMU's for a rebuilt engine for the Encore.  I think that's the high end of the range. But you'll be getting a 0 timed engine. Other options would be cheaper.  I can't imagine though, that you can get out for less than $60K all in. 

I'd love to be wrong on the high end :ph34r:

Thanks for the quick replies. Seems as though the Turbo makes up for two fewer cylinders on overhaul costs. Still at 1050 useful and 200 kts + cruise the Encore is on my short list to get something a bit less ancient than my N35. I live in Texas and our daughter just moved to Atlanta so 40-50 kts extra cruise is just what I'm looking for.

Mooney made a "stripped" version of the 252 without a King Autopilot and without the dual alternators. The pictures don't show whether this has the split alternator switch or circuit breakers for the two alternators, but the Century Autopilot might be a clue. The more desirable of the 252's are the dual alternator/King autopilot versions. It is not considered an "Encore" conversion unless it has two alternators, which all Encores had.

M20K PRE-BUY highlighted.pdf

• Like 1

East of the Mississip...

Many of us have stayed with the NA IO550 as a high speed ride.

This engine makes an appearance in the Missile, Eagle and Ovation.  M20J,S,R...

the TC'd birds are an excellent choice especially when crossing rocks and topping tall clouds often.

Real X-country machines likely have some form of anti-ice and built in O2.

A few of the Long Bodies even got AC... helpful in the TX summers....

The Encore is one of the most evolved of the M20K/231 chain.  Look into Rockets as well...

None of these birds are good at flying in ice or thunderstorms.  That is still the pilots responsibility to know and avoid...

Continental often can deliver a factory OH'd engine in two weeks or so.  Props can take significantly longer.  Measured in months sometimes...

PP ideas only....

Best regards,

-a-

20 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Continental wants $61 AMU's for a rebuilt engine for the Encore.  I think that's the high end of the range. But you'll be getting a 0 timed engine. Other options would be cheaper.  I can't imagine though, that you can get out for less than $60K all in. 

I'd love to be wrong on the high end :ph34r:

Wow, I was way off on my initial guess.  I have the LB and they offer rebuilt around 48K.   --Still cheap compared to the Bravo engine.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 12, 2017 at 0:28 PM, N252MK said:

Plane is near TBO so rather than do the engine ourselves we're exploring selling and getting into another Mooney. See pix and an old posting when my partner was trying to sell his share. All reasonable offers considered. Plane based in Everett, WA.

http://n252mk.weebly.com

Henry H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did she sell?

• 4 weeks later...