Oil and Fuel line replacement

M20S Driver

The oil and fuel lines in my 1999 Mooney Eagle need replacement according my mechanic and Continental Tech Support.  I have the rec "C" lines which are rated for 7 years.  He is recommending to go to rev "D" which is teflon and is rated for 12+ years.

Anyone has done this on io550? if yes, any recommendation on where to get the hoses made for the best quality and price? 

Driver

9 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I have them. They're called 124J hoses. Teflon has an "on condition" service life, which is a very long time. 

The professional mechanic mumbled about them get a set and being hard to handle after awhile....As long as they remain connected to things, they should be good.

They should have a welded data tag which shows the part number and the date of last pressure test. The lower right corner will say something like PT 04/14.  Which is pressure test April 2014. Usually this is date of manufacture as well 

My engine has 1200 hours on it.  Does it make sense to put a more expensive teflon type hose on it that is rated for 12 years plus?  

The regular hoses are rated for 7 years but are less expensive.   I may have to overhaul it in 5-8 years and the hoses will be replace at overhaul.

My engine has 1200 hours on it.  Does it make sense to put a more expensive teflon type hose on it that is rated for 12 years plus?  
The regular hoses are rated for 7 years but are less expensive.   I may have to overhaul it in 5-8 years and the hoses will be replace at overhaul.

Do the hoses have to be replaced? You don't have to do an overhaul at 2000 hours, you may need to do one at 1300 hours or 3000 hours. It's a crapshoot anyway.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

If you have 5-8 year old hoses, why replace them at the overhaul Period? Inspect and then reinstall them. A friend I know had a rubber oil hose on his plane from 1968. Somehow it got overlooked but it was still holding up.odern hoses are Even better than that 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

If you have 5-8 year old hoses, why replace them at the overhaul Period? Inspect and then reinstall them. A friend I know had a rubber oil hose on his plane from 1968. Somehow it got overlooked but it was still holding up.odern hoses are Even better than that 

I assumed they came with an overhauled engine.   If not, I agree...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 7:33 AM, jetdriven said:

Don't disagree with how modern hoses can last a long time. But the OEM limits what items can be re-installed on condition when doing an engine overhaul.

If the hoses in question are hoses that the engine manufacturer provides with the certified engine (as opposed to hoses provided by the airframe manufacturer) and then secondly the manufacturer specifies the hoses must be replaced as part of a Major Overhaul then any overhaul that doesn't include replacing them can't legally be logged as a Major overhaul - just an IRAN. And legally, then TSMOH doesn't get reset and resale value of the engine takes a major hit. Major overhaul actually has legal meaning in that the engine has been overhauled IAW with the manufacturers (minimum) specifications. This is true also with some appliances like starter and magnetos which the manufacturer list as requiring replacement or overhaul at time of engine overhaul. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 8:22 PM, jetdriven said:

I have them. They're called 124J hoses. Teflon has an "on condition" service life, which is a very long time. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:48 AM, Yetti said:

PHT in Tulsa.  get the upgraded integral fire sleeve

we got the 124J hoses from PHT and my mechanic installed them today...  He was very impressed with PHT.

Thanks for the info...

Driver