Reno Air Races 2017

75_M20F

Thinking of flying from the east coast (NC) out to the Reno Air Races this fall. Has anyone done the trip before? What route is best to get across the mountains? Which airport in the Reno area is best? I have a naturally aspirated 1975 M20F..

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Mooney_Mike

Hi Mooney_Mike,

You can go ether the Northern or Southern route and let the weather be the decision point.  Both times that I have gone east bound I have taken the Northern route and on the way back once Northern and once Southern route due to Weather. 

Stead where the races are is closed during race week.  Reno International is the closest but check with Atlantic for the overnight fee.  Carson City is South of Reno 20mi and you can rent a car.

I have been going to the Reno air races for 15 plus years and hang out in the box seats out in front of the bleachers.  M20Kid came out last year and hung out.  You will love it.

Let me know if you need more info

Jim F

18 hours ago, Jim F said:

Hi Mooney_Mike,

You can go ether the Northern or Southern route and let the weather be the decision point.  Both times that I have gone east bound I have taken the Northern route and on the way back once Northern and once Southern route due to Weather. 

Stead where the races are is closed during race week.  Reno International is the closest but check with Atlantic for the overnight fee.  Carson City is South of Reno 20mi and you can rent a car.

I have been going to the Reno air races for 15 plus years and hang out in the box seats out in front of the bleachers.  M20Kid came out last year and hung out.  You will love it.

Let me know if you need more info

Jim F

Jim,

Yes, thank you for the information. What kind of MEA are we looking at for the northern vs southern routes? (I am non turbo)

The southern route, does that come up over Vegas then heads toward Reno? I am looking at it on skyvector.

Jim,

Thanks.

I think the southern route looks best from where I live in the south east.

I played around with skyvector for a few min and came up with this route after ABQ...... I didn't plan the NC to ABQ yet as its not as terrain critical.

ABQ V12 ZUN V12 INW V572 FRISY V572 FLG V291 PGS V562 LAS V105 HIDEN V135 BTY V105 OAL V105 YERIN V564 CHIME  KRNO

See any issues with it?

Although I probably use Carson City Airport. Sounds more Mooney friendly.

That time of year you could fly north of Las Vegas. Depending on where you want to turn north I would fly to either Santa Fe or Durango and then turn northwest toward Carson City, Minden, or Tiger Field.  Central Nevada and Utah have mountains but are pretty easy for an F to fly direct or near direct across. I just checked and direct ABQ to Carson City would be a good route.  Much easier than all the restricted airspace north of Las Vegas.  You will need to have a rental car reserved for any of those destinations. Remember that afternoon flying will be bumpy that time of year and try to plan for early flying if possible.