Installing GARMIN

I have a Garmin 155 TSO, a basic approach IFR certifiable GPS I would like to instal myself.

From the manuals it says it requires a MD41-424 (14V) Annunciator and MD40-242/L Indicator to make it IFR certified.

What other IFR approach certified indicators can be used and can connect to NAV to give glideslope?

(I don't think the 155 can provide glideslope on its own?) 

I have a Narco Nav 122 with glideslope but I don't think it is compadable to the 155. It is a good as a second IFR Nav Device and I also have a working Apollo Flybuddy GPS that could be drop in replaced with a GX55 for IFR enroute.

I could  instal a Nav with glideslope and indicator combo to link thru the annunciator with the 155.

My plan is to instal an IFR GPS and to do training on my own plane to get my rating.

I also have an iPad with Foreflight for situational awareness and charts.

Does anyone else have this kind of setup and how does it work for you?

Thanks,

Steve

I just finished my installation and subsequent IFR approvals from the FAA for this exact unit a few months ago.  It's a good basic GPS that enables you to file /G.

Unfortunately, there is no way to add a glideslope from this GPS.  You would need to begin with a completely different navigator that was WAAS capable from the outset.

I installed a Collins IND-350 CDI indicator along with the MD annunciator.  You can pick up a decent IND-350 for under $500 on eBay.  Both are required for IFR certification, as you probably know.

Thank you Andy, I will look up this indicator.

Does this mean that a Garmin 430 non WASS does not have glideslope?

You can shoot an ILS approach with a 430 so you will need a glide slope indicator for that, but a plain 430 will not do an LPV approach so an indicator will provide lateral guidance only ( no glide slope).

In my C I have a GX60 which is non-WAAS and a separate NAV radio with glideslope. I have a single indicator (KI-209A), and a button in the annunciation panel let's me switch between the GX60 and the NAV radio as the source for the KI-209. The NAV radio lets me shoot ILS approaches with the KI-209 as my glideslope indicator. When I switch to the GX60 as the source the KI-209 provides lateral guidance both in route and non-precision GPS approaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stephen,

only WAAS GPS-units, like the 430W, GTN750 or similar ones, will give you a GPS-glideslope indication. All non WAAS units, like the 155,  will only provide lateral GPS-guidance.

Stefan

Stephen, Is that clear?

the 430 has individual receivers for VOR, ILS, and GPS.

the ILS gives vertical guidance at airports with the appropriate equipment.

The 430W adds accuracy and vertical guidance to the GPS receiver.

knowing all the screen indicators is important to understand what receiver is actually alive and working.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Yes, thank you, that makes sense. The 430 is has other receivers VOR, ILS not just GPS like the 155 and this is how it can give vertical guidance. The 430W can do it with its more accurate GPS.

The Garmin 300XL is a GPS with COM and also needs a NAV to provide glideslope?

Does any here have a MD41-424 (14V) Annunciator? 

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

the 300XL will never provide vertical guidance during an GPS approach. If you want vertical guidance during an GPS approach, you need a WAAS GPS.

If you have a classic ComNav installed or a 430 Non WAAS, you get vertical guidance during an ILS approach, but this does not help for an GPS approach. 

So if you want vertical  guidance during an GPS approach, you need to install a WAAS GPS. An additional COMNAV with Glideslope receiver and indicator will not change the situation. It will only provide a Glideslope, if you fly an ILS approach.

Stefan