1966 M20C project for sale $14,500

flyhigh603

I have a 1966 M20 C Mark 21 in fantastic cond for sale. She needs to have bladders installed and annual completed.This is a flying project. Upon midway thru annual ( January )my mech discovered fuel tank sealant had disintegrated and clogged fuel screens so need to have tanks stripped and resealed or bladder tanks installed.My mech doesn't do tanks anymore and only option is bladders. I thought about having ferry tank installed and flown to facility to have done but cost of doing that equals bladders installed.Plane has no internal corrosion at all and is in fantastic cond for age.High time motor with low time airframe. 2640 total time. Yes she has high time motor but engine runs like a top and produces no metal at all from oil analysis. SHE flies hands off with no wing leveler.Very basic panel but everything works well.Manual gear and hydro flaps and fantastic glass .I bought her last july and flew her 30+ hrs in 5 months with not even a hiccup from her, starts right up !! Paint in in great shape and interior is ok. This would be a great project for A&P or owner with time and $$. I never intended to have to sell her but never ever thought that i would needs tanks done after a thorough pre buy didn't catch this. This truly has devastated me financially and spiritually so i just want out of my loan if possible.I can't afford to get her back in the air so I'm having the engine pickled for storage in next month or two.I have a top o line Bruce custom cover ill throw in ..was $1000.I believe this is a great deal for the right person that can turn a wrench.PM if any interest....Thanks Dan

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

M4.jpg

M5.JPG

I have a 1966 M20 C Mark 21 in fantastic cond for sale. She needs to have bladders installed and annual completed.This is a flying project. Upon midway thru annual ( January )my mech discovered fuel tank sealant had disintegrated and clogged fuel screens so need to have tanks stripped and resealed or bladder tanks installed.My mech doesn't do tanks anymore and only option is bladders. I thought about having ferry tank installed and flown to facility to have done but cost of doing that equals bladders installed.Plane has no internal corrosion at all and is in fantastic cond for age.High time motor with low time airframe. 2640 total time. Yes she has high time motor but engine runs like a top and produces no metal at all from oil analysis. SHE flies hands off with no wing leveler.Very basic panel but everything works well.Manual gear and hydro flaps and fantastic glass .I bought her last july and flew her 30+ hrs in 5 months with not even a hiccup from her, starts right up !! Paint in in great shape and interior is ok. This would be a great project for A&P or owner with time and $$. I never intended to have to sell her but never ever thought that i would needs tanks done after a thorough pre buy didn't catch this. This truly has devastated me financially and spiritually so i just want out of my loan if possible.I can't afford to get her back in the air so I'm having the engine pickled for storage in next month or two.I have a top o line Bruce custom cover ill throw in ..was $1000.I believe this is a great deal for the right person that can turn a wrench.PM if any interest....Thanks Dan
M1.thumb.jpg.24bf2be0e5b65fe3be1f8b4dc8c74d08.jpg
M2.thumb.jpg.ca3764c3f04a1cac2c1f90b13df48fa2.jpg
M3.thumb.jpg.8fc67641cc26bfb2a2fd8a0f3c4270b3.jpg
M4.thumb.jpg.aca8ddb009ad3a031c8f32d38d26087d.jpg
M5.thumb.JPG.6e84540953438acda9d2590f883a7f4d.JPG

Dan - contact Alan Fox on this site. This is the type of project plane he would tackle. If it can't be saved, he is also known as the "Boogie Man". He will part it out. Based on your description, I think it is salvageable. Alan is out of New Jersey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

And BTW Dan, I think this is the right approach for you. I know it was and is a painful process, but the plane needs some work to bring it back and storing it won't help. Too many end up never getting restored as people move onto other things.

14 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

High time engine but low time plane?

Pics of the interior?

Sounds like its never had an engine overhaul. 2600hr SNEW is a high time engine. Really sad to see this guy give up on this airplane, seems like he only listens to his mechanic. I have a feeling if he read your thread dealing with the tank reseal and doing it yourself he might have gotten some inspiration, btw Alex, @Raptor05121 how much would you estimate you spend for the tank work? Not including other items needed to get your bird back in annual and not including all your own sweat equity.

• Like 2

There is enough literature and tutorials on how to strip/seal a tank that if this was me I would at least do one tank on my own with oversight from an AP/IA. I could then fly it out and and an expert do the other side. Alternatively, I would put the work in to strip it nice and clean on my own and fly in an expert to reseal one side and do the strip/seal on the other side at his home base. Looks like a nice C. Hate to see it parted.

• Like 2

What else is making it unairworthy besides the tanks? Sealing tanks or bladders is somewhere in the 8k-ish range? But I'm wondering what the plan was around the engine, given that was high time, if 8k is a deal breaker then shouldn't the high time engine have kept u away from this purchase? Anyways, sux and sorry bout that.

9 hours ago, N6758N said:

Sounds like its never had an engine overhaul. 2600hr SNEW is a high time engine. Really sad to see this guy give up on this airplane, seems like he only listens to his mechanic. I have a feeling if he read your thread dealing with the tank reseal and doing it yourself he might have gotten some inspiration, btw Alex, @Raptor05121 how much would you estimate you spend for the tank work? Not including other items needed to get your bird back in annual and not including all your own sweat equity.

My tanks were $4500-5000 to have my IA do it following the Mooney manual. Most of that was labor (scraping took up 2/3 of the time). I came and helped a few times, so this I would call the extreme low-end of the cost spectrum. The stripper we used was $150 a gallon. The sealant is some sort of newer stuff that is more flexible than the old stuff so its doesnt crack. I keep my tanks (as) full as they can be.

Sooo,, you couldnt sell a plane any farther from me,, but im crunching some of the numbers...

Besides the fixing of the fuel tanks,

What does your mechanic think it would cost for him to finish the annual and sign it off??

Also,, please tell us all about the avionics in this basicely VFR plane?

Gentlemen 

I appreciate all the advice.But in the end putting in a ferry tank and having it brought somewhere else to have tanks stripped and sealed is the same cost as doing the bladders. Ive researched the s*#t out of this and in the end its gonna be $11,000-$12,000 with all cost factored in , fuel , hotel room , rental car ,commercial flight home etc. I JUST DONT HAVE THAT KINDA LIQUID CASH !!!!! I bought this plane on a chance , i knew it had high time motor but it ran awesome. I took a chance and i lost out.So anyone that is serious PM and we can talk. It was in mid annual and needs annual completed. I don't have the space ( hangar ) to work on it out of the weather.You could get her running and fly her the way she is but its your life you gambling with.I`m not some shcmuck that just bought in to this blind i researched the s#%t out if this plane got ,all ducks in a row but this tank issue just killed me. If anyone wants a great project plane this is it...............

P.S i would never let anyone work on my aircraft that doesn't hold and A&P / IA. 

7 minutes ago, flyhigh603 said:

Gentlemen 

I appreciate all the advice.But in the end putting in a ferry tank and having it brought somewhere else to have tanks stripped and sealed is the same cost as doing the bladders. Ive researched the s*#t out of this and in the end its gonna be $11,000-$12,000 with all cost factored in , fuel , hotel room , rental car ,commercial flight home etc. I JUST DONT HAVE THAT KINDA LIQUID CASH !!!!! I bought this plane on a chance , i knew it had high time motor but it ran awesome. I took a chance and i lost out.So anyone that is serious PM and we can talk. It was in mid annual and needs annual completed. I don't have the space ( hangar ) to work on it out of the weather.You could get her running and fly her the way she is but its your life you gambling with.I`m not some shcmuck that just bought in to this blind i researched the s#%t out if this plane got ,all ducks in a row but this tank issue just killed me. If anyone wants a great project plane this is it...............

P.S i would never let anyone work on my aircraft that doesn't hold and A&P / IA. 

Shmuck only has one C. 

Remember these guys are only trying to help and get you out of a bad situation flying again. Hard to find a board like this where 99+% have your best interest, safety, and money as a priority. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, the plane is actually still in annual. If the annual from last year hasn't expired, the fact that the new annual has started, doesn't mean it has to be completed. I'm not shopping, but if I was, I'd pull it out of the current shop, throw a ferry tank in the back and go... somewhere there's an A&P that actually enjoys working on Mooney's.

• Like 1