Things that make you go WTF

Got my pilot valve and thumb disconnect for the PC system overhauled.  Plane will level it self turning one direction but not the other.

Pulled the hose off the back of the TC and one wouldnt hold a vacuum.  Actually I could just suck and suck and it wouldnt even create a vacuum.

Was about to take the wing inspection plates off and start digging around the servers and decided the rear inspection panel was easier so Ill start there.

Found this mess.

Im guessing the green hose had cracked at some point.  The PO then decided to use that hose as conduit to run some wire (i think tponder).

I took it to a well named shop to have a new tponder installed.  THey pulled the new wire through the same "conduit" and gooped it up with silicon.  I only say they must have done the silicon and wire because its really clean and new looking and I think the wire is labeled transponder where it goes into the fused wire.

So I guess my options now are to just leave that green hose as conduit and run a new hose from where ever it Ts at the wing.  Or go crazy and pull the tponder wire back through, use real conduit or the correct wire according to my IA and then additionally run another hose for the servo.

At this point Im not sure if I should be disappointed the avionics shop didnt say anything or mention it was weird.  On the other hand I was beating them down on price and doing as much owner assist as posssible so I dont want to fault them to much.

anybody else seen any whackyness like this?  My IA told me to check the Garmin 345 install manual and see if it needs a direct to battery connection.  Shouldnt only a clock be run straight to the battery.  anything else should go through the avionics switch?  No clock on the 345 as far as I remember.  And the tponder doesnt come on until the avionics master comes on so not sure what it needs constant power for.

20170210_161735.jpg

20170210_161809.jpg

20170210_161828.jpg

Edited by TheTurtle
  • Like 1

How convenient for Mooney to put all that extra conduit in the plane.  SMH.

I would leave it.   Call Brittian and have them send you some green tubing and rerun the whole thing. 

The overhead light is an always on powered circuit.

• Like 1

The 345 does have a switched power pin so that a low current avionics switch can activate the transponder which would source power from an appropriate source.  That said, I don't know why one would go all the way to the battery when there are multiple power busses up front to source power.  I would ask them to look at bussing it up front, pull the wire out and see if you could salvage the "conduit".  

• Like 2

Wow! This makes the crazy crap I found in Riley look nearly non-existent!
My plane had the same PC problem yours did. Turns out, the red tubing was brittle and broken in several places. I ordered new tubing and two overhauled servos. $345 and about three hours later, the PC works like new!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

Wow! This makes the crazy crap I found in Riley look nearly non-existent!
My plane had the same PC problem yours did. Turns out, the red tubing was brittle and broken in several places. I ordered new tubing and two overhauled servos. $345 and about three hours later, the PC works like new!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

how hard was it to fish that hose through?  Were does the green and red start?  Its not green and red coming off the TC.

Get both colors when you call Brittian.   and rerun it all while you are doing it.   It gets old and breaks after awhile.  Brittian says the left wing tubing goes bad more often than the right.  You just have to take the cabin side panel off to rerun it to the rear battery area.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

how hard was it to fish that hose through?  Were does the green and red start?  Its not green and red coming off the TC.

It was not hard.  A little time consuming, but not hard.  Having two people to work it helps greatly.

The tubing originates on the left sidewall.  If you follow the black hoses from the TC, they will attach to a fitting mounted to the sidewall.  The other side of that fitting is where the Green and red tubing originates.  Tell Brittain the model you are working with and they will send you the (almost) exact amount you need.

You must take the left sidewall off to get at it.  Fishing through the wings was easy.  Check all the servos for leaks (two of mine were leaking.  One of which was on the operational side.)  Don't forget about the rudder servos.  Check all the though-bulkhead fittings as those will crack and leak as well.  You will be glad to took the time to do this!  

Finally, if it won't hold vacuum, blow smoke through the system (per Jerry at Brittain).  The smoke will trail from the leak. :)

Here is what my red tubing did under the unofficial stress test.... https://goo.gl/photos/QoxFd1tbv7YkRb1r7
BTW, it's supposed to be flexible.

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Like 3

On 2/11/2017 at 2:12 AM, TheTurtle said:

If you take off the pilots inspection/ avionics panel in front of the glare shield, you will see the two fittings on the side wall.  That's where the red and green tubing start.  It runs behind the pilots side panels to behind the pilots side panel in the luggage compartment.  behind that panel you will find Tee Fittings.  This we where it splits off and goes to the wings.  Hope that helps.  

• Like 2

Check your POH to see if the hose routing drawings are complete.  Otherwise a MM will have to do...

get new hose.  The stuff isn't very expensive and is better when replaced...

while in there check all the electrical tape wound around the vacuum servo devices...

My Cs system never worked because there wasn't a MS to ask these great questions to.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Check your POH to see if the hose routing drawings are complete.  Otherwise a MM will have to do...

get new hose.  The stuff isn't very expensive and is better when replaced...

while in there check all the electrical tape wound around the vacuum servo devices...

My Cs system never worked because there wasn't a MS to ask these great questions to.

Best regards,

-a-

the diagram in the service manual sucks but Brittian sent me a better install PDF that has it pretty good.

• Like 1

It was not hard.  A little time consuming, but not hard.  Having two people to work it helps greatly.

The tubing originates on the left sidewall.  If you follow the black hoses from the TC, they will attach to a fitting mounted to the sidewall.  The other side of that fitting is where the Green and red tubing originates.  Tell Brittain the model you are working with and they will send you the (almost) exact amount you need.
You must take the left sidewall off to get at it.  Fishing through the wings was easy.  Check all the servos for leaks (two of mine were leaking.  One of which was on the operational side.)  Don't forget about the rudder servos.  Check all the though-bulkhead fittings as those will crack and leak as well.  You will be glad to took the time to do this!  

Finally, if it won't hold vacuum, blow smoke through the system (per Jerry at Brittain).  The smoke will trail from the leak.

Here is what my red tubing did under the unofficial stress test.... https://goo.gl/photos/QoxFd1tbv7YkRb1r7
BTW, it's supposed to be flexible.

That hose is just like me, old, inflexible and will crack under pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Is it me ,or does that pic show hoses and lines ,battery box,battery master relay etc covered in dust and crud.This is the left side panel...maybe time for a cleanup next annual...cause it looks like it's been sitting out in desert dust for 30 years

its a little dirty back there.  Just got out of annual and my IA didnt say anything about it though.  Theres a big hole where the step goes out so its kind of exposed to whatever.  She lives in a hangar now but was tied down outside at Chino beside the cow farms for a few years.

7 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

its a little dirty back there.  Just got out of annual and my IA didnt say anything about it though.  Theres a big hole where the step goes out so its kind of exposed to whatever.  She lives in a hangar now but was tied down outside at Chino beside the cow farms for a few years.

Any dirt not soaked in petrochemical will hold moisture. I would clean and corrosion proof it ASAP. Make pulling all of the belly pans a priority, especially the one aft of the stub spar that allows access to the flap assembly. Mooney made a valiant attempt to "kind of sort of" seal the fuselage from dirt and debris where the flap actuator tube meets the flaps. It was merily an ok effort back in 67. If it's not been addressed since then, there's likely little left but brittle tape and oddly shaped pieces of vinyl that are about as pliable as a potato chip. If this is the case, it really could be a filthy mess. Better to address it now and be done with it.

• Like 1