Drone at IAD in Washington

Had a retired airline pilot, now FAA, in my jumpseat.  His main focus is drones vs airliners.  The Delta Maddog JFK drone incident was not a kid with his new drone from Walmart.  People are purposely trying to inflict harm.  I don't know anything about the IAD event. Unfortunately not many are taking the threat as serious as they should be.   It may take an airliner to get some damage/engine failure with a CNN covered headline news emergency to get the powers that be to focus money and time on finding a solution.  Nothing in aviation ever seems to get done until after a tragic event. 

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 201er said:

How many drone strikes in the last year? How many bird strikes? Chill.

Chill eh, I was working with the FAA, Wilmington controllers and De state police last summer in an effort to find one in and near KILG airspace after I almost have a collision in downwind at KILG, strong evasive action saved my ass at 800 ft and 100 knots. It only takes fricken one if your that one.

22 minutes ago, Danb said:

Chill eh, I was working with the FAA, Wilmington controllers and De state police last summer in an effort to find one in and near KILG airspace after I almost have a collision in downwind at KILG, strong evasive action saved my ass at 800 ft and 100 knots. It only takes fricken one if your that one.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone who gets caught intentionally interfering with aircraft with a UAV should be charged with terrorism. Even accidental drone interference should be a highly criminal offense. But there isn't a mass epidemic of drone issues. Bird strikes happen regularly; drone strikes are yet to happen.

• Like 2

And furthermore, we don't know what a drone would do to an airliner. Can't we get a youtube video somewhere of a drone being fired into an engine running on a test stand like we do with frozen turkeys? I'm skeptical that a drone would even take out my Mooney on take-off or on approach.

The airlines have been telling us for ever, to turn off our phones in flight as well... 

#CryingWolf

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

And furthermore, we don't know what a drone would do to an airliner. Can't we get a youtube video somewhere of a drone being fired into an engine running on a test stand like we do with frozen turkeys? I'm skeptical that a drone would even take out my Mooney on take-off or on approach.

The airlines have been telling us for ever, to turn off our phones in flight as well... 

#CryingWolf

Phones are old news. Now they're ok in flight mode. But a bottle of water on the other hand... now that can bring down an airplane!

• Like 2