M20F climbing through 15,000 ft

FloridaMan

all I saw was random dials and sky and things and such.   Sorry but I am going to pick you and your bad video.    Just a bit of help for people.   Videos are supposed to tell a story.  Sadly most videos tell the story of "here watch me steer my plane while you sit clamped up here in the corner only able to see a bit of sky"  There are some rules that are good to adhere to.   kids need 3 seconds per framed shot.  Adults need 5 seconds for a framed shot.

So if you are trying to tell the story of "watch my little plane climb high"     Frame the VSI and hold it for 5 seconds.  We are all old here.  Count to 5.    Now frame the next shot and hold it for 5 seconds.   Now the clouds hold it for 5 seconds.  Now the next shot.

If you want to be awesome.   Turn the camera off between each "scene"  if you are doing this then have a couple of seconds of preroll and post roll on the shot to help the editor out.

Or if you are going to fail around with the camera just take the failing between shots out with an editor.

Youtube will thank you.

I know I missed the point of your plane climbing high.  I think mine has only been up to 7500 with me in it.

• Like 1

Well, if you  let the plane accelerate and then pull on the yoke quickly you can get over 500fpm for a few seconds. Or when flying through an updraft like on gliders. The highest I have taken my M20J (no turbo) is 19,000ft over the Sierra Nevada mountains on my way to KSQL.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

He clearly has a Ray Jay but is being coy about it.

The Executive model offers many fine accessories such as a cigar lighter and a retracting step.  Truly the best of all the Mooney Models.  Spend $700k on an Acclaim and the step doesn't even retract, forget about having one ashtray let alone two. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bonal said:

On Hanks time to climb solo challenge I was still getting 500fpm passing 11000 at 100 in my D/C

11000r1.bmp

Keep dragging me into it . . .

After annual last month, my C was climbing 1200 fpm at 105 mphi from 326 msl until I leveled off at 2000 msl.

Had her once to 15,000 msl with O2 and CFI; had to step climb. Did the math later, that August afternoon the DA there was 18,800--made me feel better about the poor climb rate. Emergency Descent practice was quite fun!

Need to redo the time to climb with pax to take notes. Leaving the East Coast on a westbound solo XC in unfamiliar territory, taking notes and opening my IFR flight plan was too busy.

• Like 1

Impressive, do you have pressurized mags too. Or any signs of missing when you leaned back for cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same motor In my 201 and will routinely go up to high teens or low 20s if it's a extremism tail wind with not even the slightest miss. Highest I have been is FL210 with almost 90kts on the tail. Made it on about 32gallons of fuel. RST Rochester MN to Laguadia NY LGA, got in at 1AM. Here is a pic of FL200 and aircraft weight with fuel and bags was 2750lbs. 17aa6107cdce0a113bba05fc0a8788dc.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kortopates said:

Impressive, do you have pressurized mags too. Or any signs of missing when you leaned back for cruise?

No pressurized mags.  

It gets a bit cranky leaning that high up mostly due to bootstrapping.  Mostly though you run 1-2GPH richer than normal to keep cylinders cool.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aaronk25 said:

Same motor In my 201 and will routinely go up to high teens or low 20s if it's a extremism tail wind with not even the slightest miss. Highest I have been is FL210 with almost 90kts on the tail. Made it on about 32gallons of fuel. RST Rochester MN to Laguadia NY LGA, got in at 1AM. Here is a pic of FL200 and aircraft weight with fuel and bags was 2750lbs. 17aa6107cdce0a113bba05fc0a8788dc.jpg

It's really amazing that these planes with the same engine as a Piper Arrow can get up there like this. I would not want to stall at FL200. 

I'm almost certain a stall would be the same as a stall at a lower altitude. The reason the plane feels so mushy is the lower IAS. It stalls at a faster ground speed but you can't tell that at the FLs. 100kts IAS at a high altitude feels the same as 100kts at a lower altitude.

Making turbulence less bumpy is one of the reasons it's a better ride at altitude when encountering turblance is the plan mushed through it instead of being hooked up so hard.

4 hours ago, aaronk25 said:

I'm almost certain a stall would be the same as a stall at a lower altitude. The reason the plane feels so mushy is the lower IAS. It stalls at a faster ground speed but you can't tell that at the FLs. 100kts IAS at a high altitude feels the same as 100kts at a lower altitude.

Making turbulence less bumpy is one of the reasons it's a better ride at altitude when encountering turblance is the plan mushed through it instead of being hooked up so hard.

If you are coordinated it would be the same.  If not though it would be a wild ride.  My control surfaces don't work very well at FL210 up.  It definitely isn't the same flying 110KTS IAS at FL250 as it is at 1000FT.

There is a video of one of Bill Kershners former students took a 150 to 17500 and spun it down.  I seem to recall a 210 getting to something like FL370.  Absolute altitude if your patient is pretty high for most airplanes.  

On 2/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, aaronk25 said:

Last year I had the mags rebuilt on my 231.  I had a miss at 19,000.   It was barley perceptible, but it was enough to take a look on the JPI after the flight.  Sure enough it was there on the JPI.  My local mechanic thought I was nuts, but I had the mags pulled and sent back to the mag shop.   Apparently a gasket has been left out and the mag would not hold pressurization.  Mags return and fixed with a new tag for no charge.  No problems since. 

The purpose of my story is: high altitude can cause a miss.  And that miss may be very slight.    If you make a habit of flying that high, you may wish to have your mags inspected on shorter schedule.    The arcing in the mag can cause problems for the plastic.   The original 231 supposedly had unpressurized mags. I believe they counted on the mags being physically big to minimize arcing. The mags quickly were changed to pressurized for later 231s