Purchased 1969 M20G

This my first time writing on Mooneyspace. Last June I purchased my first plane. After doing my homework I wanted a Mooney. I wanted an affordable fast plane that I can travel with. Not just fly around. But that's fun too.:)

I had never even sat in a Mooney before and had only flown Rental 150's &172's and a Cherokee 180.  

The previous owner loved his Mooney but at 81 years old he felt it was time to hang up his wings. 

He agreed to fly with me from Vancouver British Colmbia over the Rockie Mountains and to Peterborough Ontario (16 hours).

I few into Oshkosh for the first time last summer and hope fly to Sun in Fun in April.

To date I have logged about 50 hours with many more to come. I would like to fly with a mooney expert to get some real training some time.

No major problems found at pre-purchase or annual inspection completed end of last summer. 

I am currently working on installing a Garmin 155 to have a IFR Certified GPS but looking for a MD41-424 annunciator and MD40-242L or comparable GPS indicator to compete the IFR requirements. If someone has these parts left over from an upgraded please let me know. 

Thanks,

Steve

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Canadian registration marks start with "C" followed by "F" or "G" for aircraft, balloons, gliders, helicopters, ultra light aircraft are "I" then 3 letters.  

The first series were "CF-"and are to changed to "C-F" when repainted.

Clarence

58 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

What does the -G get at cruise? I can't image it would be much less, how much wetted area accounts for drag with that 10" extension over my D?

I get 135 ktas with at 20", 2450 rpm, leaned to best econ.  That's about WOT at 9,500 ft and my preferred cruise setting.

If I'm flying lower (around 6,500') I can get a hair over 140 ktas at 23" and 2500 rpm.

So, I think the extra 10" is a ~7 knot penalty over the C/D/F.

These numbers are for a stock 'G with no mods or cowl closure.

Edited by 3914N

50 minutes ago, 3914N said:

I get 135 ktas with at 20", 2450 rpm, leaned to best econ.  That's about WOT at 9,500 ft and my preferred cruise setting.

If I'm flying lower (around 6,500') I can get a hair over 140 ktas at 23" and 2500 rpm.

Wow. My C balances the 201 windshield with a 3-blade prop and old guppy mouth closure. But in the 9000-10,000 msl range, I generally back the throttle off enough to make the MP needle move and run 2500, yielding ~145 mphi or (quickly adding 18-20%) 171-174 mph / 148-151 ktas. But it was 10-12 mphi slower before two annuals of extensive resurrection on my doghouse.

Edited by Hank

50 minutes ago, 3914N said:

Those are roughly the same numbers as my D model. I bet you are within a few knots of me.

Yes, I get about 135 kts @ 21" & 2,350 RPM. I am not sure this is the best setting but this what I was shown.

This is a lot faster then anything else I have flown and is so much fun. The trick I had to learn was how to slow her down for landing so I can get the flaps and gear down. She just wants to keep going. In winter flying, it even more challenging to slow down, descend and keep the power up so to not shock cool the motor. 

Yes, slowing down is a challenge! You'll get the hang of it, though, it just takes practice. 

In my C (a shorter version of your G), I descend by pushing the yoke forward to establish 500 fpm down, then spin the trim wheel for hands off. As I come down, MP and EGT both rise above my cruise settings, so every now and then then I will pull the throttle back an d push the mixture in to reestablish my previous values. 

My goal is to level off 3-5 nm from  the airport, then work on slowing down to flap speed (125 mph); dropping flaps to Takeoff makes pattern entry a cinch! It's all easy from there. As you get used to this, you can move your level off target closer to the field.

Enjoy your new ride!