Get to pick up my new F model tomorrow!...sort of

I should also mention that if I kick my nose to the left prior to shutdown in preparation of backing my plane into the hanger, the ailerons like to stay skewed towards the direction of the nose. After putting the plane away the ailerons like to migrate towards a left turn regardless of how I set them. When I do this, I can level the ailerons and by the time I walk to the other wing there will be some movement in the direction of a left hand turn... If I leave the nose straight before backing in, the ailerons will stay level and appear balanced...

On 2/10/2017 at 9:37 PM, jonhop said:

Pertty airplane... Was there a cross wind or gusts that could knock an aileron or an opportunity to physically knock the aileron control surfaces? IMHO, that amount of aileron deflection would produce a significant roll in flight, one that would not be sustainable by hand flying in straight and level flight... 

On my flight home, It really had a very strong desire to roll to the left. I am looking to find someone with the right board jigs to get the think properly rigged, because that was no fun. I had to climb up through 7500' of solid cloud to get on top and head back to KROG and that roll tendency is not welcome, particularly in IMC. 

On 2/10/2017 at 7:58 PM, Hank said:

Give a shout if you don't go home tomorrow. May pop in for a visit . . . Bham isn't very far, even in my little C.

Hi Hank, thankfully I ended up making it home; the flight instructor and I filled and pushed up through 7K worth of clouds. Pretty VFR on top but one HECK of a headwind!!IMG_2145.thumb.JPG.94a2dc3a4afb88509692c944a636899e.JPG

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Who did the pre-buy on this bird? I'd have thought the rigging would have shown up as an issue. 

Hope you get it rigged right and quickly.

Allen at corporate Jets in Birmingham did it. He caught the control configuration suggesting out of rig. I had the seller fix one item but some left roll still remained on flight test. Basically it was take to or walk away time and being 2K++  in on PPI, and Maxwell estimates max of 4.5 hours to rig it, just decided to access that and a few other squawks rather than starting another hellacious looking &  buying cycle. 

• Like 1

does the wing leveler work?  There is a knob on the turn coordinator that lets you trim things.  Also does it have an accutrac?   Could be that one of your vacuum lines or servos is leaking.  There is a ground test for the PC system.

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

does the wing leveler work?  There is a knob on the turn coordinator that lets you trim things.  Also does it have an accutrac?   Could be that one of your vacuum lines or servos is leaking.  There is a ground test for the PC system.

The ground test is simple:  when taxiing, every turn the Turn Coordinator should show opposite to the AI. The manuals are available from Brittain, and are probably in our Download section of  the homepage. Or I can email them to you, if you have the same email systemso I do.

On 2/14/2017 at 0:25 AM, Yetti said:

Hi Yetti, it has an STEC 60-2 which, I understand takes cues off the turn coordinator (another squawk; it shows left of center per photo in stabilized flight/straight taxi/ shut down on level ramp) 

sorry the mooney forum forum attachment uploader function  always flips my photos sideways IMG_0028.thumb.JPG.771d950dd0da4548a5d6d9713a1c52cf.JPG

On 2/14/2017 at 3:51 AM, Hank said:

The ground test is simple:  when taxiing, every turn the Turn Coordinator should show opposite to the AI. The manuals are available from Brittain, and are probably in our Download section of  the homepage. Or I can email them to you, if you have the same email systemso I do.

I'll check that; thanks Hank!

The 60-2 POH has a complete checkout procedure that you can follow to make sure it is working correctly. Not sure if you have GPSS on your bird or not. It adds a lot more capability and really adds a new dimension to the autopilot. Looking over your picture, I wonder why they put the parking brake there. I don't think that is the factory location for a 76. Post some more pictures of your panel, love to help you spend some of your money.

810f73ffd1057e22a5905d0b88e2c418.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 2/9/2017 at 8:16 PM, neilpilot said:

Anyone still flying a vintage Mooney without shoulder belts should reconsider.  I'm certain that both my wife and I would have sustained serious injury landing our 64E off airport in 2012 had I not had shoulder belts installed.

I have a diagonal bruise across my chest right now.  I'm convinced it helped save my life. Add a CO detector too!

Beautiful F. My C was one earlier N number. 9149V. As Marauder mentioned, after the above mods add GPSS of you don't have it.  Those that don't have it don't know what they are missing.

Dan

• Like 2

Just now, DanM20C said:

I have a diagonal bruise across my chest right now.  I'm convinced it helped save my life. Add a CO detector too!

Beautiful F. My C was one earlier N number. 9149V. As Marauder mentioned, after the above mods add GPSS of you don't have it.  Those that don't have it don't know what they are missing.

Dan

After our soybean field excursion in 2012, both my wife and I had very pronounced shoulder strap bruising.  My only other injury was a cut on my right hand, which I think was impact on my yoke-mounted iPad (not sure what I hit).  She banger her knee on the panel, which I think occurred when her seat slid forward.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:27 AM, Marauder said:

The 60-2 POH has a complete checkout procedure that you can follow to make sure it is working correctly. Not sure if you have GPSS on your bird or not. It adds a lot more capability and really adds a new dimension to the autopilot. Looking over your picture, I wonder why they put the parking brake there. I don't think that is the factory location for a 76. Post some more pictures of your panel, love to help you spend some of your money. emoji6.pngemoji3.png

Thanks for the Tips Marauder, yep it is coupled to the 530W and will fly an approach. It does have an increasing oscillation on the ALT hold so that is a no go, but it will do heading and approach tracking just fine. 

On 2/19/2017 at 7:27 AM, Marauder said:

The 60-2 POH has a complete checkout procedure that you can follow to make sure it is working correctly. Not sure if you have GPSS on your bird or not. It adds a lot more capability and really adds a new dimension to the autopilot. Looking over your picture, I wonder why they put the parking brake there. I don't think that is the factory location for a 76. Post some more pictures of your panel, love to help you spend some of your money. emoji6.pngemoji3.png

LOL, well as it pertains to the EDM, here is what I am thinking

Panel_Left_Phase1.png.82f41fcb7880dff30a01e44ed1f4eb8c.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Thanks for the Tips Marauder, yep it is coupled to the 530W and will fly an approach. It does have an increasing oscillation on the ALT hold so that is a no go, but it will do heading and approach tracking just fine. 

The oscillation of either pitch or trim on an STEC AP is typically caused by stiction on the armature of the servo. Have your shop make up a sub min D connector harness if they don't already have one and power just the servo with 12V and run the motor in both directions for a minute or 2. I would do this at annual time every year on my F that had an Stec that developed this issue, and never had the problem again. This "fix" came from a former STEC field engineer I spoke with at OSH a number of years ago. I forgot the pinouts for the harness, but any avionics shop should be able to get the info. Cheap, easy, effective (not 3 words usually heard in the same context as aviation)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 9:37 PM, jonhop said:

Pertty airplane... Was there a cross wind or gusts that could knock an aileron or an opportunity to physically knock the aileron control surfaces? IMHO, that amount of aileron deflection would produce a significant roll in flight, one that would not be sustainable by hand flying in straight and level flight... 

Hi Jonhop I didn't get any gusts per se that I know of, suppose it could have happened prior to my taking possession.