Get to pick up my new F model tomorrow!...sort of

Hi Guys, I'm sitting at home packing up for a commercial flight from KXNA to KBHM tomorrow morning. My just purchased Mooney (my first) bought and ready to go, but my flight instructor just called and said he got called on a flight to TX tomorrow and we can't start flying off my 5 hours of requisite dual time until Saturday....bummer :(   I guess that I will have most all day to sit in it and read manuals. Not flying, but better that work I suppose. :) 

Appreciate all your support and info. I'll check in tomorrow and send some pics when I get to Birmingham AL.

Stephen

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Welcome to the poor house! Enjoy the flight!

Marauder I just had a big head thrown back belly laugh at your comment too funny...too true. Actually, I have calculated and my plane should pay for itself in entirety in 7-8 months. (that is the theory anyway). Lets me keep my job in AR while living in northern MO.

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

Marauder I just had a thrown back belly laugh at your comment too funny...too true. Actually, I have calculated and my plane should pay for itself in entirety in 7-8 months. (that is the theory anyway).

True -- until someone like NotarPilot comes along and convinces you to spend $1500 on light bulbs. There is always something shiny that needs to be installed. It's just like cosmetic surgery, you just can't stop.

• Like 3

Just now, Marauder said:

True -- until someone like NotarPilot comes along and convinces you to spend $1500 on light bulbs. There is always something shiny that needs to be installed. It's just like cosmetic surgery, you just can't stop.

Yeah, I'm trying to resist the temptation. I do think I'm going to put the shoulder belts in though...not shiny but probably my first mod. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yeah, I'm trying to resist the temptation. I do think I'm going to put the shoulder belts in though...not shiny but probably my first mod. 

Anyone still flying a vintage Mooney without shoulder belts should reconsider.  I'm certain that both my wife and I would have sustained serious injury landing our 64E off airport in 2012 had I not had shoulder belts installed.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Awesome! I got to stare at my plane for several days, too. I didn't have a complex endorsement at the time. 

Yeah, same situation I am in . Have some retract time but did it with so many different CFI's (I used to travel a quite a bit for work and would often pick up some dual from whatever local FBO was available in the evenings) that I never was with one long enough (flying complex) to get the endorsement. My CFI Greg is going to address that for me Saturday while flying the 5 hours off so (weather permitting) I can fly home from KBHM to KROG Saturday afternoon. 

This was me two months ago. I just bought an F without complex or retract time and 'flew off' most of my 5hrs on the transport back from Charleston, SC. I live in Conway, AR and frequent NWA offen. Maybe we'll run into each other soon. Good luck.

No sleep for me the night before but I was more worried about getting there on a buddy airline pass vs. a revenue ticket.

52 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hi Bryan, yes we should meet up!  Yeah, my flight is at 6AM so I'd better get to packing....!

Maybe time to consider a AR Mooney Sunday brunch @ Gastons?  When I go there I usually take the shuttle van from either Flippin or Baxter Co.  

Congratulations on the new wings!

I am probably only a few weeks behind you.  Prebuy begins Monday in Kerville, so either I go to Kerrville for the endorsement and fly it home or have it ferried the two Mooney hours home to NE Texas and do the training here.  Many variables for me, not the least of which is the weather.  I am a tailwheeler, so I am accustomed to paying close attention to high gusty winds.  It seems as if our "March winds" are here in February this year.

I am not all that far from Gastons, but I have never spent the flight time to get there in my 140.  It will be more easily reachable in the Mooney.  Maybe we will join you guys there at one point.

• Like 1

I would commute to Koch Industries in Wichita from Tampa with my F model back when I had a contract with them. When commuting, I have adopted the psychology to default thinking that I would fly commercially, but if I could work flying myself with the weather, et cetera, that I'd fly myself. 

• Like 1

Update. Got to see the mooney today. Sat in the cockpit and am reviewing some off the manuals that I didn't have access to. Here are some picks of the plane. Noticed that ailerons are significantly out of match when yokes are neutral....so I think she is in need of a rigging: when the right aileron is aligned with the flap/wingtip (IMG_2137) the left one is significantly down (IMG_2139). IMG_2137.thumb.JPG.2f22edc494d00e95b5f5b4e6b122fc43.JPG

IMG_2139.thumb.JPG.766f953282a3f93e677200c140fbd911.JPG

IMG_2133.thumb.JPG.1b7999d20545fe44f42da489ae44afaa.JPG

I do have a few instruments that I think I would like to clear out. Thinking about culling ADF head/controller and definitely the old IFR GPS (adjacent to the FF/MP gage). Wondering what I want the dedicated press alt gauge for...but that is may

IMG_2132.thumb.JPG.b7b8448ae2378a46d3e9c1b8d8d01007.JPG

More to come!

Best,

Stephen

• Like 1

Pertty airplane... Was there a cross wind or gusts that could knock an aileron or an opportunity to physically knock the aileron control surfaces? IMHO, that amount of aileron deflection would produce a significant roll in flight, one that would not be sustainable by hand flying in straight and level flight... 

• Like 1