Uh oh

flyboy0681

NOTE: This is not intended to be a political thread, so please don't go off on a tangent.

Today the president met with the airline industry and the subject of NEXTGEN was brought up. The president stated "I have a pilot who's a real expert. He said, 'Sir, the equipment they're putting on is just the wrong stuff.' If we're going to modernize our system we should be using the right equipment."

I hope our ADB-S investment wasn't wasted.

5 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

NOTE: This is not intended to be a political thread, so please don't go off on a tangent.

Today the president met with the airline industry and the subject of NEXTGEN was brought up. The president stated "I have a pilot who's a real expert. He said, 'Sir, the equipment they're putting on is just the wrong stuff.' If we're going to modernize our system we should be using the right equipment."

I hope our ADB-S investment wasn't wasted.

No worries. We'll be back to Swiss watches.

• Like 1

I know my boss was there to discuss Middle East carriers and NAI trying to kill off the US airline industry, just like the merchant marines.  I hope Bastian follows Andersons belief that ATC does not need to be privatized.  We're taxed enough.  User fees are unacceptable.  

Edited by air cooled dad

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Read the latest Pilot&Plane magazine article to get a feel on this. http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/going-direct-trump-airlines-meeting-spell-disaster-ga/#.WKEylW994dU

I'm waiting for the outrage to start. When the subject was merely mentioned in passing (but never acted upon) by "the other guy", this board lit up like a Christmas tree with, may I remind you, very strong and passionate language about the 44th president and how could he even consider such a thing.

Is there anybody here who thinks for a minute that the gas tax will be eliminated in favor of user fees? No me, I think we are headed for fees in addition to the gas tax.

• Like 1

He's coming back this weekend for the third week in a row (costing us taxpayers another $4 million). The people at Lantana airport are getting very upset, and rightly so.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/local-govt--politics/trump-return-palm-beach-for-3rd-weekend-lantana-airport-groans/vHLcu2XCR2XgLZ9Clzr8hP/

14 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm waiting for the outrage to start. When the subject was merely mentioned in passing (but never acted upon) by "the other guy", this board lit up like a Christmas tree with, may I remind you, very strong and passionate language about the 44th president and how could he even consider such a thing.

Is there anybody here who thinks for a minute that the gas tax will be eliminated in favor of user fees? No me, I think we are headed for fees in addition to the gas tax.

Actually not a new issue to either Obama or Trump.  I first joined AOPA in the summer of 1992 because of the threat of user fees from the George H.W. Bush administration. That threat continued during the Clinton and Bush follow on administrations.

Just shows to go ya that everything old is new again.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:52 PM, flyboy0681 said:

NOTE: This is not intended to be a political thread, so please don't go off on a tangent

14 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

He's coming back this weekend for the third week in a row (costing us taxpayers another $4 million). The people at Lantana airport are getting very upset, and rightly so.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/local-govt--politics/trump-return-palm-beach-for-3rd-weekend-lantana-airport-groans/vHLcu2XCR2XgLZ9Clzr8hP/

Darned...you had me fooled for a moment....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Actually not a new issue to either Obama or Trump.  I first joined AOPA in the summer of 1992 because of the threat of user fees from the George H.W. Bush administration. That threat continued during the Clinton and Bush follow on administrations.

Just shows to go ya that everything old is new again.

Your points are well taken. My point is when they were mentioned by the Obama administration, people here were running around like their hair was on fire. Now? Not a peep.

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Darned...you had me fooled for a moment....

I guess the situation is getting the better of me. My time on the weekends is very tight and I need to get some approaches in to stay current. I was supposed to get this done three weeks ago but the TFR got in the way. I said, that's alright, I'll do it next weekend. Well, here we are the third weekend in a row and I still can't do it. In addition to all kinds of requirements to get out of the airport, practice approaches are forbidden under the TFR veil, which means I'd have to go way, way out. That turns what would be an hour of local approaches into several hours, time which I and my safety pilot don't have.

Ah, they just now issued one for down there..I take it you wont be going to the rally then. :)

Issue Date : February 15, 2017 at 2054 UTC
Beginning Date and Time : February 17, 2017 at 1930 UTC
Ending Date and Time : February 21, 2017 at 0330 UTC
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for VIP Movement
Type : VIP
Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A

Jump To:       Affected Areas
Operating Restrictions and Requirements
Other Information

22 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

It sounds like AOPA is trying to work on a solution for Lantana.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/february/14/aopa-seeks-faa-meeting-on-mar-a-lago-tfrs

Well, after last nights incident down here, I'm willing to bet that this plan will be scrapped. Some flying turkey appears to have violated the TFR and jets were scrambled. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/military-planes-create-loud-booming-sound-south-florida/story?id=45575018