Going over TBO TSIO-360-LB1B,

TEX

What's your opinion / experience about going over TBO and the feasibility of going over TBO with a somewhat recent top overhaul?

Im considering purchasing this M 20 K 231 and the current engine numbers are:

Engine: 1545 SFREM Continental TSIO-360-LB1B, Top Overhaul 160 hrs
Intercooler, Merlin turbo controller, GAMI injectors

You might get a few more hundred hours out of it, you might not. I personally wouldn't go for it unless I was ready to pay for an overhaul in the next week if I needed to (but you can make that argument no matter how many hours a plane has)...

Edited by AlexLev

Its not just hours but calendar age as well. Of course the younger the engine, meaning it was flown regularly, the better chance it has of going past TBO.

I was would have no problem purchasing this, but in pricing it out,I would only value the engine as 1545 of the 1800 TBO. I would give no credit for the top overhaul, nor should you. And I would only value it as 250 hrs before TBO if the calendar time was under 20 years - 12 years is the normal TBO time. 

But I also would only overhaul on condition, not just time or hours. But to go on condition you needs to seriously monitor the engine. Mike Busch in his book Manifesto outlines the 10 things. You get the book online at Amazon for $3. This question was just asked a recently, and someone posted the 10 things Mike calls for after I mentioned the book. Search for other thread. It may even be the same aircraft since it was also a 231 with 250 hrs from TBO.

The challenge of going past TBO with a TC'd engine is it can be run pretty hard continuously unlike an NA engine.

it is a challenge to run an engine every day.

it is a challenge to run a TC'd engine gently.

it is a challenge to always operate an engine to expect going past TBO.

Much easier to do when you own the engine from day one.

Much more of a challenge coming into ownership in the seventh inning...

Getting to know the owner will answer a lot of questions.  Is that possible?

Know what an OH of the engine is going to cost.  Know that turbos, starters and generators also have life limitations such as wear....

The good news... you can look up the price of a factory reman of the same engine with turbo at the TCM  website.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

The biggest problem is that you don't know how the prior pilot(s) ran the engine, and that makes a major difference.  If you have access to the logs you should check and see of the recent Top was the only one within TBO or if there was a prior Top.  If there was a prior Top, then the engine has been run hard.  If not, he made it further than most.  Average is 1000-1200.  While you are at it, check and see if there have been any turbo rebuilds or replacement.  One within TBO would be average, two would indicate hard running.  If you can, find out if the plane was loaned out at all.  They are like Weimaraners, sort of a one owner deal.  Even short trips flown by someone who doesn't understand that engine can take alof of hours off it.