Upgrade offer from Aspen

co2bruce

On 2/18/2017 at 11:14 PM, mike_elliott said:

Yesterday, another ki258 bites the dust, less than 10 hrs on an overhaul. This time vfr. Thankfully, the "non primary" Aspen was on board.

Please rethink serious ifr (all ifr is serious) with only a "fine Swiss watch" ki25x IA and no backup. 

IMG_0024.JPG

Totally agree...also please rethink imc with only a "glass" pfd and no back up!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Ok, I am seriously looking at panel upgrades to full glass.

This current offer from Aspen is (according to a sales rep) intended to bring the three (3) panel Aspen 2500 price down to be competitive with Garmin G500s.

The Aspen price is $19,995, I understand the Garmin G500 w/Synthetic Vision is around $18,500. (does anyone have an accurate price?)

So, being the prices are so close what do you think is the better choice???

They are both great choices. The Garmin is nicer from a size standpoint, the Aspen for the interoperability and redundancy. Head to SunNFun next month and get the pitch from both companies, along with possible "deals". Just my opinion, as I have a lot of time behind both and like both of them.

3 minutes ago, PTK said:

Totally agree...also please rethink imc with only a "glass" pfd and no back up!

Absolutely. I don't think it is possible to put in a G500 or Aspen without a "backup" per their stc. It might be possible with the ESI and the G5, but dumb to do if your 1970's technology Analog King AP needs analog pitch and roll inputs to drive it. That is probably the one reason why the scrap metal recyclers are not full of KI25x's right now, and why Mr. Bramble can live in beautiful Sarasota Fl.

L3, Please come out with an D/A converter to drive the AP for your great ESI500!

• Like 2

Are there electronic AIs (either gyro or AHRS) that can drive an old analog CIIb autopilot? I'm thinking my AI could be relegated to the TC position but I'd really like something electric with a battery backup that could drive it, thus getting rid of the vacuum system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Ok, I am seriously looking at panel upgrades to full glass.

This current offer from Aspen is (according to a sales rep) intended to bring the three (3) panel Aspen 2500 price down to be competitive with Garmin G500s.

The Aspen price is $19,995, I understand the Garmin G500 w/Synthetic Vision is around $18,500. (does anyone have an accurate price?)

So, being the prices are so close what do you think is the better choice???

Garmin charges you an extra $4k to interface with the AI driven AP.  Probably an easy $23k to get one installed in a Mooney. 

With the choices we have today I'd buy a single unit Aspen or jump to the Garmin. 

On 2/18/2017 at 11:14 PM, mike_elliott said:

Yesterday, another ki258 bites the dust, less than 10 hrs on an overhaul. This time vfr. Thankfully, the "non primary" Aspen was on board.

Please rethink serious ifr (all ifr is serious) with only a "fine Swiss watch" ki25x IA and no backup. 

IMG_0024.JPG

Are you turning left?

...YIKEs.

IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.b7198c020d593d1f19cd1c3314d53b35.JPG

Fixed your Swiss watch for you.
  • Like 3

I am in the deep end now. I ordered the Aspen Evolution 2500 System today. 

I have some great used avionics for sale. Available when removed.

Bendix King Silver Crown KX-155A NAV/COM

Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B OUT Transponder

S-TEC ST-180 HSI Horizontal Situation Indicator Slaved Compass System

Misc instruments, ALT, Airspeed, VSI, WX-950 Stormscope

All of these will be listed in the used avionics forum soon.

MAKE ME AN OFFER, any or all.

TomK

• Like 2

I've got the opportunity to buy an aspen evo 1000 for $5k.  it has about 35 hours on it.

I originally planned on putting in a sandel 3308 with flux detector and remove gyro at a cost of $1k, plus install. (pre 2.3 software)  I thought I would eventually add a G5 or Dynon equivalent later.  I like that the sandel is cheap and works as an annunciator, as well as shows wx500 strikes, etc..  

I'm a cheap bastard and I don't fly hard IFR and my home field has an ILS...   So, WAAS LPV approaches are not required for me.   

I currently don't have a GPS, but thought I would add a non-waas 430 (but with Waas antenna) when installing all of this so there is an easy upgrade path.  

Given the higher cost of the Aspen and that I would have to pay a few more AMUs to get it to show lightning and work with my brittain autopilot, do you guys think I'm OK passing on the Aspen or is the $3-4k difference in overall cost justifiable for a CB?

I am in the deep end now. I ordered the Aspen Evolution 2500 System today. 
I have some great used avionics for sale. Available when removed.
Bendix King Silver Crown KX-155A NAV/COM
Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B OUT Transponder
S-TEC ST-180 HSI Horizontal Situation Indicator Slaved Compass System
Misc instruments, ALT, Airspeed, VSI, WX-950 Stormscope
All of these will be listed in the used avionics forum soon.
MAKE ME AN OFFER, any or all.
TomK

Oh no! I thought for sure you were going to buy the Swiss watch instead!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Aspen Kool-aid with ESV, along with the IFD540 and JPI830 bells and whistle kits.

I also through a Garmin GNC 255a and GDL39R in there for some flavor along with the MLB100, and AXP322.

Mainly, I couldn't tell time so I got rid of all those clocks except for the AI and Gi106A.

1977  M20J 

Panel.jpg

Panel-1.jpg

Panel-Night.jpg

Edited by qutrina
  • Like 2

I bought the Aspen Kool-aid with ESV, along with the IFD540 and JPI830 bells and whistle kits.

I also through a Garmin GNC 255a and GDL39R in there for some flavor along with the MLB100, and AXP322.

Mainly, I couldn't tell time so I got rid of all those clocks except for the AI and Gi106A.

1977  M20J 

Panel.thumb.jpg.3913ca9b513cdadd1963333a0604af63.jpg

Panel-1.thumb.jpg.0f81916394e182befea98f739213ee2a.jpg

Panel-Night.thumb.jpg.7fceaea3ec6e99048ab5acdd8594c302.jpg

Where's Peter King Garmin when these posts go up on the forum? Heavens forbid! A Mooney able to fly without a Bendix King or Garmin product as the primary navigation avionics? What will be next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I thought about buying the King GPS; however, I thought it may end up like BETA from the VCR days. One thing I always noticed about Bendix / King NAV systems, you better be a engineer or at least smell and think like one, because King / Bendix boxes NAV systems are not as easy as Garmin or the IFD.  I guess if all you used was Bendix King NAV, then you will probably love it. 

Even though I am knocking King, but they sure did make a good KX 155 / 165 TSO unit with their ki208 / 209  good solid units along with their KT76A  transponder.  

The Mooney I am flying still have the original king transponder from 40 years ago (KT76A and working without any issues)  

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Flyin Bullfrog said:

TomK

Is your VSI still avail?  VSI in my K froze up and may need to be replaced

Not much airplane $ after the tank strip and reseal.

Pls advise,

"Rico"

I have one available.