Nose Gear Rebuild

I just ordered the oversize bushings,updated steering horn and hardware from LASAR.  We will be rebuilding the nose gear at annual next month.

Any tips or tricks for getting this job done?  Does the gear need to come completely out of the airplane?

Thanks guys!

I just ordered the oversize bushings,updated steering horn and hardware from LASAR.  We will be rebuilding the nose gear at annual next month.
Any tips or tricks for getting this job done?  Does the gear need to come completely out of the airplane?
Thanks guys!

Pay someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The steering truss comes out and if I'm not mistaken you ream the steering truss to fit the new oversized bushing.  You might be able to do it without removing the shock discs but I think it would make the whole process easier and you get to inspect the shock discs and linkage  and if you are energetic like another member you can clean and paint all the components while you have them off the plane.

Just had this done.  Pay someone! . It cost about 3 amus inc parts but was worth it.  

I would think that you guys would know by now that I would never pay somebody to do something that I can take ten times as long and probably spend the same amount of money doing myself.
Besides, where would I learn all my new cuss words if I did that?
  • Like 6

Remove the center plate at the bottom of the firewall. Remove the steering horn. Remove the retraction links. Remove the king pin bolt. Remove the lower landing gear with the shock disks installed. Remove the two bolts through the top bushings and remove the truss.

Put the reamer in a vice and twist the truss onto the reamer.

Reassemble with new bolts and bushings from Laser.

Nothing to it. .

This is all from memory, so I hope I didn't forget anything.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

Remove the center plate at the bottom of the firewall. Remove the steering horn. Remove the retraction links. Remove the king pin bolt. Remove the lower landing gear with the shock disks installed. Remove the two bolts through the top bushings and remove the truss.
Nothing to it. .

Excellent! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Nothing to it. .

I would add, use lots of cutting oil on the reamer and don't turn it backwards.

Clarence

I did mine 2 years ago.  The retract links are shimmed on both sides, especially the forward-most link attachment.  Keep careful notes which shims (washers) go on each side.

Good luck, not difficult, hardest part was removal and installation of the lower firewall access panel.

When taking it apart, be careful not to loosen the retraction rod adjustments. It is not required.   One of our smx based mooney pilots gave me that tip when doing mine, because when he did his, he did loosen those and incurred some extra heartache getting them re-adjusted....Also, Pay special attention to the length of the steering heim ends pin to pin length if you are replacing those.  That way your nose wheel will hopefully track straight without a follow up adjustment.

• Like 1