"Rants and Raves" Poll

cnoe

"Rants and Raves" Forum on Mooneyspace?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mooneyspace have a "Rants and Raves" Forum for political and religious discussion?

• Yes, I think it's a good idea.
    • No, I think Mooneyspace should be aviation-related only.

8 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I want to know what happened to Husky learning to fly dude.   Did he buy one of those other planes and now taking his dog across the usa.

I have wondered this myself. He and I finished up our PPL at about the same time then he disappeared. 

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Brexit means Brexit :)   The will of the people and all that. :) 

I've always actively sought out views opposing my own.  In the few times that polite discussion takes place, it's fascinating to try and understand the thought processes and experiences that form the perspective of the "other side".

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the matter at hand, note that the will of the people can also be considered to be the tyranny of the majority. 

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the matter at hand, note that the will of the people can also be considered to be the tyranny of the majority

Thats why those brilliant founding fathers created a republic not a simple democracy

Fire when ready

I voted yes, but not for the reasons most might think.  I have been on a bunch of forums, for aviation and for many other things, such as pointing dogs, over the years.  I hate the political and hateful stuff, and don't want to have to read it. If you want to see hate, you should read a pointing dog forum.  I am here to learn - from others who know more than me, and from others who might not know more but are going through the same stuff with their aircraft and flying skills as I am.  It seems that no matter what the rules are, some people will always be drawn to political/hate commentary, and it finds its way into the forum every now and then.  

So why not make a little corner for it, put it in its own corner and make it stay there.  Then I will know which link not to click on so I don't have to read it, and if others find sport in yelling at each other, let em.  I would just prefer it be somewhere where I don't have to look at it.

I, myself, am more of a reach across the table kind of person, I guess we are dinosaurs, or dodo birds, or maybe Ivory billed woodpeckers, elusive, hiding in the deepest most impenetrable swamps, thought to be gone for good, but actually there are a few of us.  We look like other woodpeckers, actually like pileateds, but we are not.  Being an Ivory bill, I would like to find one or two others.  

1 hour ago, bonal said:

That's why those brilliant founding fathers created a republic not a simple democracy

Even more to the point, our founding fathers definitely did not believe in universal suffrage.

A 98.6 temperature and a photo id would hardly count as a "qualification".

Oh, that's right.....no I.D. is required.

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I have wondered this myself. He and I finished up our PPL at about the same time then he disappeared. 

No I think he was real since he had intimate knowledge of Palo Alto/Cirrus/Two examiners/KSAC....etc...I just hope that after all the money and frustration spent,He decided aviation just not worth it!

10 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Let me post some of my hunky men for your wife, she will soon be happy. :)  Although the Rev will probably still get upset as they will have no tops in whch case just quote genesis at him. :)  One of my best friends is a Priest and i love pointing out the commandments to him.....Thou shall not covet they neighbours Ox.  Hmmmm. My neighbour doenst have an Ox, he has a Ferrari and an Acclaim Ultra, both are miigghhhttyy fine, uh huh. :)  Thou shall not kill, well how are we supposed to eat then?  Everytime i pull that carrot up im killing the poor helpless little thing. :)  

The important thing was, was the sofa comfortable?   If not complain that we really need a new sofa.  (Then run FAST). 

Andrew (with a large pinch of salt). 

I think it's house,wife,male or female servant,ox or donkey in that order to not covet per Exodus 20:17...nothing in there about Ferrari or Mooney Aclaims!....fair game I guess...oh and no sofa ,my wife doesn't believe in that...I made it up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

No I think he was real since he had intimate knowledge of Palo Alto/Cirrus/Two examiners/KSAC....etc...I just hope that after all the money and frustration spent,He decided aviation just not worth it!

That hardly's the vote of support for Husky.  Our industry needs more pilots not fewer.  Maybe he went out and bought himself a new Cirrus.

Clarence

33 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Huh?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you said "I hope that after all the money and frustration spent, that he decides aviation is not worth it"

I would hope that after all the work and frustration he sticks with aviation.

Clarence

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

now THATS interesting both you and Clarence said the same words, which leads me to think its in a "document" somewhere for the foundation of the US?  Am I correct?

I thought that with your occupation, you'd be more detail oriented.  Bonal didn't say it. It was quoted from a previous post.  And it wasn't Clarence, it was me.

And re: American document.  Clarence is Canadian of Dutch origin and I'm a Scot living in Canada.  Neither of us have access to US documents or the secret handshake. :lol::lol:

• Like 1

I agree...I left out hasn't ...I was addressing the opinion that he was an internet imposture...I helped him locate an examiner for his checkride located at my home field.He probably spent more getting his ticket than he planned for and I sensed the financial strain .Unfourtunately ,I have had two friends essentially drop out of avation after I mentored them thru pvt.One got his inst. ticket and 1/2 partnership in 172....he sold it a few years back after an icing incendent 

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

That hardly's the vote of support for Husky.  Our industry needs more pilots not fewer.  Maybe he went out and bought himself a new Cirrus.

Clarence

I dropped him a PM and heard back. He bought a very nice SR22 Turbo and is doing well, close to finishing out his IFR. I told him that even though he didn't go with a Mooney he should drop in and say hi and let everyone know how he's doing. There's quite a few folks here that spent time helping him along the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I dropped him a PM and heard back. He bought a very nice SR22 Turbo and is doing well, close to finishing out his IFR. I told him that even though he didn't go with a Mooney he should drop in and say hi and let everyone know how he's doing. There's quite a few folks here that spent time helping him along the way.

Glad to hear that he still flying, a Cirrus who'd have guessed?

Clarence

I'm the one who suggested the Rants and Raves forum.   Kudos to the Admin for giving it a try, but somehow between illness and travel, I totally missed it.

The point of it was to use as a vehicle to either 1) Move threads to that go sideways, so the rest of us don't have to read it yet those on fire can keep chatting; 2) Suck the nastiness away from the other forums.   I made the suggestion after the "Well that didn't take long" thread about Trumps first Presidential TFR.

When you have a Rants forum, there's always the implied threat that if you get nasty, the Admin will move the thread.   As it stands now, the only alternative would be for the Admin to delete the thread.   Which, frankly,does have its merits.   Unfortunately, if there's a thread where the info was actually useful before it became controversial, as it stands now, the whole thing would be deleted.

To be my own Devil's Advocate, perhaps the threat of having a thread deleted altogether is enough to keep politics and emotion off this board?  You wouldn't think it would be all that difficult.   

I need to pay my money and become a supporter.  Sorry Mr. Admin, I'll go do that right now.   Thanks for giving this experiment a shot.

Andrew

Edited by Aviationinfo
  • Like 1

I could see the value in a separate forum for rants and raves, or an off-topic section.. Maybe a more social one, a virtual airport coffee corner without pointless political diatribes? I would enjoy a place to learn more about MS pilots as people with more dimensions than just technical airplane stuff. NTTAWWT. Rants can be fun reading, but I have to confess, Facebook's political rancor has gotten old, and I've sent partisans on both ends of the Recent Unpleasantness to Coventry. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. The Purple Board has a political forum that you have to request admission to, otherwise you don't see it. It isn't very active. The off-topic one is fun, though.