"Rants and Raves" Poll

cnoe

"Rants and Raves" Forum on Mooneyspace?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mooneyspace have a "Rants and Raves" Forum for political and religious discussion?

• Yes, I think it's a good idea.
    • No, I think Mooneyspace should be aviation-related only.

I voted against and it's not because I am easily offended and as many know I have voiced my opine on other political threads before they were shut down.  I have come to believe that there are those on the left and those on the right and those with various or no ideology at all and no matter what truths one chooses to believe no matter how the opposing point of view approaches making their point there is no chance that will change the oopposing side.  But I do confess that as long as things are civil the discussion can be very entertaining.  But for me I'm just sick and tired of the debate.  I know what I believe in and thats all I need

• Like 2

The other thought that comes to mind and I have no way of knowing the admins political views but find it interresting that all the time during the last Presidents time in office the posting was pretty tightly watched and locked.  Now with the new Pres we find a new forum to allow political discent and debate. I dont know if that means anything or if its just a coincidence

But like I said I voted against because I really like Mooney Space for what it is a place to discuss aviation and all things Mooney and I know most of those that I would disagree with politically and they have fo the most part treated me with respect except on the issue of airspeed

• Like 1

Seems to me like the new section is already serving its purpose. There hasn't been any political discussion elsewhere and the new toilet section isn't getting any heated discussion going on either. It's kind of like having a section just for that sucked all of the fun out of pissing on the wall.

• Like 2

It's sad that it would occur to anyone to use MS for any purpose than fixing and flying Mooneys. I've left other forums, even Facebook, to keep my day from being ruined by such rants. I fear that giving them their own rubber room will just encourage them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I couldn't help but wonder the same thing.  Somehow we have managed for 8 1/2 years to get along without such a forum, even when it was requested by some of the membership.  Why now?

I cannot answer that question on the grounds that it may get me banned . . . 

I voted no because of the way I use MS... I like to review the activity thread periodically and scroll and read the posts and their timeline at my leisure. Now I'll have to wade through a bunch of crap along the way unless that crap is related to politics related to aviation or religion--miracles--that are related to pilots walking away from crashes...

Jon

I voted no, but if it really does keep political discussions out of the other forums I might want to change my vote.

So far I think it is working well, but time will tell.  For now it seems like MooneySpace members are a cut above those that frequent the other sites. 

• Like 1

I have voted and I like the idea of having a place where if some of the members want to go and bash something they can and maybe that will keep it out of the regular topics.  We all come form different parts of the country and the world and we all have a common love of flying and specifically flying Mooney aircraft. 

We really don't have a problem for the vast majority of the time and when some of the threads become a shouting match between several of the members I just tune out at that point and stop looking at the thread and most importantly I try not to encourage them in their discussions.  We have had some pretty vocal discussions on some Mooney and aviation specific topics.  People sometimes will take things posted too personal and get really worked up over it.  We all like to fly we all maintain and operate our aircraft in the way we see fit and if that means longer or shorter component life or higher or lower speed then so be it it is your aircraft.  Provide the facts, advice and data with minimal personal feelings and move on. 

I have run some other forums and you could set specific groups to have access to specific forums. That enabled us to have public, private member, admin, etc forums. It has been expressed by some members that they would prefer not to see the Rants and Raves threads at all, which isn't possible if using the "Unread Content" function. If that could be done here on MS with the Rants and Raves forum (opting in)  then those that didn't want to see the threads come up in the unread feed wouldn't see them. I know the "don't click on it" principle but as it is now, the thread title and first couple lines of the post automatically appear. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 2:45 PM, thinwing said:

Besides not needing or wanting a special forum where some members are free to be basically jerks...I think there should be punishments for those that offend ...say forced to view pics of Marauders failed Miss Americas

In all seriousness, I've had to blocked Marauders posts because I read MS sometimes in public and don't want the embarrassment of having his pictures showing up. My non glare screen on my iPad makes it easy to see my screen from all angles.

25 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

In all seriousness, I've had to blocked Marauders posts because I read MS sometimes in public and don't want the embarrassment of having his pictures showing up. My non glare screen on my iPad makes it easy to see my screen from all angles.

where are these awesome posts that I'm apparently missing?

On February 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM, TonyK said:

Hello,  I know that I am absolutely  brand new to this forum but I am a moderator on a different non aviation related forum that has +/- 75,000 members.  We have a Politics and Religion section on it and I probably spend 90% of my time cleaning up the mess from that section.  IMHO you are asking for trouble. 

Tony. Welcome to the Forum. Please tell us about yourself, your mission, and any other particulars you may wish to add. Do this under the General board is my suggestion.

Again, welcome aboard.

McStealth.

1 hour ago, mooniac58 said:

Alrightly.  I will take down the forum :)

More that 90% of you not in favor of this tells me it is a bad idea.

The Rants and Raves forum was pretty tame and the other forums were refreshingly politics free for the past few days. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may not have been a terrible idea.  I think I would've given it a couple of weeks before pulling the plug.

7 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

The Rants and Raves forum was pretty tame and the other forums were refreshingly politics free for the past few days. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may not have been a terrible idea.  I think I would've given it a couple of weeks before pulling the plug.

I have to agree.  I did not see anything too crazy going on in the Rants forum and things did seem better on the other side since then.  But if 90%+ of members don't want it I felt I needed to take it offline.  This site is really *your* site and I don't want to do anything to anger the community.

The enjoyment of this forum is its aviation related more importantly it Mooney related, there are enough political forums out there if some of our comrades would like to vent and go off on each other. The best way to bring down this awesome gathering is to allow it to politicize

• Like 3

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Yeah they can be pretty gross I guess...The other day me and the Wife were having dinner with the rev...I guess  I got bored ,as I usually do with these people,any way I am on MS checking out Marauders recent postings and the Rev saddles up to see what I am viewing.Well ,one thing led to another ,and he goes off in a huff sputtering and spouting something about "abomination "!They left and I ended up sleeping on the sofa cause my wife now thinks I am a closet blubber lover!Hey...at least I don't say yep when my wife asks"do you think these pants make my butt look big"!

• Like 3

On 2/7/2017 at 1:45 PM, thinwing said:

Besides not needing or wanting a special forum where some members are free to be basically jerks...I think there should be punishments for those that offend ...say forced to view pics of Marauders failed Miss Americas

One man's "jerk" is another man's "body shamer".

Fantastic.  Stay "classy" everybody...